Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch series 4 slow to wake since os6 update

Prior to the watchOS 6 update, my Watch Series 4 screen woke up immediately up with one gentle tap. Now, since the update, I have to tap the screen very firmly several times to get the screen to light up, especially if I haven’t tried to wake it for more than a few minutes. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I’ve tried resetting the watch, no improvement. I don’t have it loaded down with a lot of add-on apps, either, so I don’t think it’s a memory problem.

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 11:29 PM

71 replies

Oct 16, 2019 3:00 AM in response to tasa

I do have the Watch series 3. But I experience the same problem: Since WatchOS 6.0.0 and 6.0.1 the watch is a lot slower!

I need to wait between 2-5 seconds when:

• Opening the workout App to before I can start cycling / running
  • using mobilepay at the cashier (this is totally annyoing: double clicking the side button and for 5 seconds nothing happens and you just don't know whats going on)
  • just waking up the screen by tapping the display or pushing the button/crown

Oct 2, 2019 1:40 PM in response to tasa

I concur.

I have a 1 day old (as of Wed 2 Oct 2019) Apple Watch 4.

Prior to any usage the watch was updated to watchOS 6.0.1.

Tap to wake mostly works, but sometimes doesn't -> annoying!

Apple if you're listening (now where have I heard that before?) please fix this bug.

PS I owned another Apple Watch 4 from Oct 2018 to about a month ago - not once during that time did a tap-to-wake action fail.

Oct 9, 2019 6:03 AM in response to tasa

Just wanting to add my issues to the list. Same exact problem - tap watch face, and sometimes it is 3-4 seconds before the screen wakes. Restarting device might improve the condition temporarily, but will return shortly after. Was perfectly fine until 6.0 and then the issue started. 6.0.1 DID NOT cure the issue.

Oct 9, 2019 12:20 PM in response to tasa

I will try to contact Apple this afternoon. This needs to become a “known” problem. In the meantime, I’m feeling quite concerned as I’ve counted on my watch S4 for the heart health support for the past year. I know it’s not an ideal situation, but in reality my watch has been quite helpful in monitoring my heart health and has twice alerted me to the need to go to the ER! Will post back as soon as I can. It’s helpful to know I’m not alone.

Oct 17, 2019 10:07 AM in response to tasa

I thought it was just my new Series 5, I was ready to return it for a new one. Actually wish it was that, at least then the problem would be fixed quickly. Between this and the battery intermittently draining rapidly (some days lasts forever, some days dead by noon, no changes in apps or use since Series 4), I may switch back to my Series 4. I'm still an Apple zealous, but this is very disappointing.

Oct 19, 2019 8:59 AM in response to tasa

Hi tasa, I too have noticed the same screen wake up delay in my Apple Watch 4 since the upgrade to OS6. It is an inconsistent fault too. I will pay more attention to my use of it to see if this screen wake delay is related to some specific activity (or lack of any). Thanks for contacting Apple. They need to pay attention to this. This diminishes the quality I expect from a premium product.

Oct 20, 2019 2:03 AM in response to seward408

It’s sad how Apple care less about Apple Watch 4 owners and focusing only to the new watch. This issue with slow wake up screen on AW4 it’s very well know and have something to do with always on display that it is on AW5. The last update watchOS 6.0.1 was good but didn’t fix this issue. Other thing it’s that AW4 is discontinued by Apple because the competition with AW5..I hope that Apple will fix that soon enough for the rest of use that still have AW4..

Oct 27, 2019 2:53 AM in response to tasa

I have a week old 5 series and have been swearing and cursing about this issue for days. Don’t want to use wake on wrist raise as the watch will be on and off like a strobe. I’m actually pleased it’s a known issue (amongst users - hopefully now Apple know too) and not something specific to my watch. Just hope Apple get their finger out and resolve this massive irritation ASAP.

Oct 27, 2019 7:05 AM in response to adape2003

I enabled wake on wrist raise hoping it would fix the issue. Everything was working fine. Later that day my watch froze up and the touchscreen was not accepting touch input for about a minute or so. I contacted Apple Support. They said they are aware of the issues being reported, but they do not currently fully understand the root of the issue. They said they will push out an update once a fix is available.

Oct 29, 2019 1:23 AM in response to rpain23

I have the same problem with Apple Watch Series 3, 42 mm, latest WatchOS 6.0.1. I experience the problems with slow display waking even if Theatre Mode is enabled or not. I have feeling, that the problem is more intense when using new WatchOS watchfaces Numbers Duo and Numbers Mono. While old classic watchfaces are working better.

I am pretty upset with this issue, because I always preferred Apple for great hardware-software optimization.

Watch series 4 slow to wake since os6 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.