Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro flash modes missing

I have an iPhone 11 Pro running ios 13.1.1. In the Camera app if I click on the flash icon in the top left it just disables the flash and changes the flash icon to have a slash through it. Clicking again on the flash icon (now with the slash through it) enables the flash and removes the slash in the icon.

In all other iPhones I have used, including an iPhone XS running ios 13.1.1, clicking on the flash icon brings a choice of flash modes: Auto / On / Off.

I called Apple Support about this and they suggested to Restore the factory settings of the phone. I don't want to take this drastic action now since I don't want to have to redo all of the settings I have changed. I'm also not convinced that it will fix the problem.

Does anyone else have an iPhone 11 or 11 Pro that can tell me what they see when they click on the flash icon in the Camera app?

Any suggestions for how to get the selection of flash modes to display?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 9:06 AM

Flash is there but requires an extra step. I am on version iOS 13.1.2 so I’m surprised Apple Support did not know this Information.

1. You need to tap on the arrow in the middle of the screen when in camera.
  2. at bottom you’ll seen flash symbol, click on it. This is where you can make change to Auto, On, Off.

This is an extra step which is silly. Hopefully they will change to the old way so the quick change can occur and you don’t miss the moment.

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2019 9:06 AM in response to jamescerrato

Flash is there but requires an extra step. I am on version iOS 13.1.2 so I’m surprised Apple Support did not know this Information.

1. You need to tap on the arrow in the middle of the screen when in camera.
  2. at bottom you’ll seen flash symbol, click on it. This is where you can make change to Auto, On, Off.

This is an extra step which is silly. Hopefully they will change to the old way so the quick change can occur and you don’t miss the moment.

Oct 2, 2019 1:59 PM in response to jamescerrato

Hello jamescerrato,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with the flashlight on your iPhone. I recommend making a backup of your device, then updating to iOS 13.1.2 and testing if this resolves your issue.

1. As well as other fixes, this article states: About iOS 13 Updates - Apple Support

"iOS 13.1.2 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone. This update:

• Addresses an issue where the flashlight may not activate"

2. To get a backup before updating your device: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

3. Then use this article to update: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Oct 2, 2019 5:53 PM in response to jamescerrato

Hello jamescerrato,

Thanks for updating the info, and letting us know you have updated and the issue is still occurring. I will be happy to continue checking this out with you.

1. Please verify you are not seeing what is described in this help article: Take photos with the camera on iPhone - Apple Support

• "To turn the flash on or off, tap the Flash button, then choose Auto, On, or Off. On iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, tap the Flash button to turn the flash on or off. Tap the Camera Controls button, then tap the Flash button below the frame to choose Auto, On, or Flash Off."

2. If you still are not getting those options, then the next steps would be to reinstall iOS. While reinstalling iOS won't erase your data, it is still recommended to make a backup before doing this. You can make a backup in iCloud or iTunes using this article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

3. After your data is backed up, reinstall iOS using iTunes. The reason we need to use iTunes for this step is to get a new copy of iOS installed to your device. Use this article to reinstall iOS: If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Please pay close attention when you reach step 4 in the article. Once iOS is reinstalled, test if the issue is still occurring.

Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

May 24, 2020 2:47 PM in response to Unfortunately_iphone_user

Unfortunately_iphone_user, I mentioned the way to do this for all applicable modes previously. On any of the modes that have additional features (photo, portrait, video and slomo) swipe up just above the shutter button and this will reveal the same features bar the arrow does for photo and portrait. In video modes this gives you the “On”, “Off”, and “Auto” modes for flash. Additionally, the arrow is at the top middle of the screen. I assume you’re also looking for it in video and slomo modes. For those modes it is NOT there, but in photo and portrait it is. Hope this helps! https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250686257?answerId=252200204022#252200204022

Aug 5, 2020 12:11 PM in response to lemmers33

Lemmers33, check out my response linked below. You can swipe up on the screen to display the flash menu. Initially I thought it was specifically in the lower area of the screen, turns out you can do it anywhere but down in the tray where shutter, photo gallery, and flip camera buttons are.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250686257?answerId=252200204022#252200204022

Feb 27, 2020 8:35 PM in response to jamescerrato

Hi all, hopefully theres a way this can make its way to the top of the thread (that is if someone else hasn't posted this here already, I didn't check). But here is the answer to the question for every mode except time-lapse and panoramic. Unfortunately flash doesn't work for those. There is a GESTURE for access the flash menu. The method described previously in the marked answer mentioned the arrow. That only works for picture modes (which reveals the effects menu, including flash). For forcing the flash to ON in video modes, swipe up from the lower center of the screen where the different shooting modes are. This reveals the flash menu as seen in the picture. You can then set it to “On” and this will hold the flash on for you! Hope this helps, I just now discovered it!

Oct 5, 2019 8:58 AM in response to jamescerrato

I am equally baffled.

Having said that, there is a real kludgy way to force the flash on: force the camera into night mode by pointing it at a dark area, then click on the night mode icon at the top, which then brings up controls at the bottom. Click on the night mode icon at the bottom, click on the flash, and you can force it on, which remains on when you move camera out of the night mode zone.

Dec 15, 2019 6:43 PM in response to jamescerrato

I’m running IOS 13.3. Still have no flash options in the camera app. Apple tech support insisted I restore to factory settings, so I reluctantly went along with it. It did NOT fix the camera flash issue but it did waste my entire day re-entering passwords, credit cards to my wallet and customizing all of the previous settings with which I was pretty angry to lose. The Apple tech said those things would automatically restore. That was misinformation. As for the flash, it still shows no options and the suggestion to tap the “arrow” on the camera screen is also incorrect as there is no arrow, at least not on my screen. This is pretty lousy performance for a $1,400 phone.

Dec 25, 2019 9:19 AM in response to CorkyB

I have the same problem not being able to find the flash options. I have iOS 13.3. I can only do flash-on or flash-off. There’s no “arrow” to tap in the middle of the screen....what/where would there be such a “camera control” button? It’s crazy to have this problem. I want to be able to select “flash ON”

Dec 25, 2019 3:24 PM in response to jamescerrato

Turning the fill flash on on the Apple iPhone Pro Max requires pointing the camera against a dark area (or against your shirt) and then turning on the night mode (round circle with lines through it) on the bottom of the screen. Controls pop up and then you touch the flash symbol, which brings up the flash choices of flash auto, on, or off. Touch on, and you have forced flash, or fill flash until you turn the camera mode off (swipe up to close the camera). In sunlight, even in the shade, the night mode symbol is hidden and this technique cannot be used. This is a problem that Apple needs to fix ASAP. Joe

Jan 20, 2020 5:43 PM in response to CorkyB

Not stupid as Apple support should feel for not knowing the answer.

There are two different ways you can get to the option menu in the camera:

1 - there's a down-arrow at the top of the screen you can press to bring the additional portions at the bottom of the screen.

2 - swipe up on the menu choices at the bottom of the screen (video, photo, portrait, etc.) to show the additional options.

It was stupid of apple to remove that directly from the flash icon. The only thing they should be doing is making our devices more intuitive and convenient not less.

Sam

Feb 17, 2020 11:23 PM in response to Momx4girls1boy

Thanks so much!!

I’ve had an 11 Pro since release date and honestly thought Apple has totally removed the forced flash feature, which I used a LOT! They might as well have, since I don’t have time to try to remember stupid unnecessary extra steps when all I want to do is take a picture. 😡

PLEASE FIX THIS PAPPLE!!!! The flash icon in the upper left should have three choices: on (flash), off (with arrow through it) and auto (cap A).

This is as dumb as turning WiFi OFF (or so you would think...) but only having it DISABLED until an arbitrary time (of Apple’s choice!) the next day. Who thinks of this crap?

iPhone 11 Pro flash modes missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.