Question:

Question: Cannot load photo (There was an error loading this photo)

I get this message whenever I try to edit a photo in my camera roll. I do not have iCloud enabled and can’t seem to find any decent solutions around the forums. I’ve tried restarting my device. I have this issue for lots of pictures. It is only when I click edit. One in particular has a mark on it that I wanted to touch up but it will not let me. Please help

iPhone X

Posted on

Oct 3, 2019 10:52 PM in response to bmd85 In response to bmd85

I've been speaking to Apple Tech Support and they have no idea what's going on. It's obviously a bug as many people have encountered the same problem in Apple Discussion. Maybe more people should contact Apple Tech Support so they know it's a problem on user's devices.

Oct 3, 2019 10:52 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 5, 2019 11:11 PM in response to wjapzon In response to wjapzon

No it's not a known issue within Apple engineers but they know now and were very interested in what I had told them.

I was on a lengthy phone call conversation with them describing the issue. At the same time I shared my PC screen and my iPhone screen with Apple and they could see what was happening when I upload to iCloud via pc and what happened with that photo on my iPhone. I've also submitted hard copy evidence with Apple and also told them it was a problem with many, going by the discussions in their Apple forum.

I won't know anything until Wednesday 9 October and I will post here once I find out. Cheers

Oct 5, 2019 11:11 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 5, 2019 11:22 PM in response to Rosa07 In response to Rosa07

Thank you so much! I also tried to contact Apple Care and they suggested to copy first my photos out of the external hard drive before uploading it via iCloud. It's a bit of an additional work for now. Keep us updated on the resolution that Apple Engineers can suggest.

Oct 5, 2019 11:22 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 5, 2019 11:38 PM in response to wjapzon In response to wjapzon

You're welcome. Has that worked for you copying your photos? The photos taken on my iPhone which I download from iCloud are fine, I can re upload those fine too. But if I make changes to them via Photoshop then upload them to iCloud, my iPhone won't open the photo.

It took me hours to resolve my issue and it came down to the file extension.

My workaround to the problem is to change the file name to .jpeg via Photoshop and iCloud will open those photos.

I have to do these to all my Canon and Sony photos if I upload to iCloud otherwise my photos won't open.

The Engineers were interested and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. So hopefully they too can see the problem their end.

Oct 5, 2019 11:38 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 9, 2019 3:16 AM in response to JacobHelpme22 In response to JacobHelpme22

I've just been contacted by Apple Engineers and they do acknowledge that there seems to be some sort of a problem. However, I had to supply more info based on my findings via screenshots and more explanations. . . They will contact me again on Friday 11 Oct. 3.30pm Au time.

Oct 9, 2019 3:16 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 16, 2019 11:56 PM in response to JacobHelpme22 In response to JacobHelpme22

Apple Engineers have now collected all my Photos Phone Data via PC (iTunes) and iPhone and will hear back from them tomorrow, Friday 18 Oct. Just hope they come up with something. Too many people having same or similar errors and all on different i devices and iPhone models.

This is now the third week of investigations by Apple.

Oct 16, 2019 11:56 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 23, 2019 5:38 AM in response to JacobHelpme22 In response to JacobHelpme22

I'm so over the Apple 'engineers'! Hopefully they will read this as I pointed out the need for them to look at www.discussions.apple.com

They rang back as promised and on time too! Usual story they couldn't find anything.

It's now the fourth week of going backwards and forwards with Apple engineers, sharing screens, syncing data with Apple as well repeating actions over and over with uploading photos to www.icloud.com then those same photos in my iPhone Photo App appear but the moment you go to edit them I receive the error message, "Cannot Load Photo, there was an error loading this photo"

Today, I went through the same old, same old with Apple and I got pretty frustrated and told them to check out the discussions here and other places in www.discussions.apple.com about error messages others are receiving. It's not an isolated incident. Once more people discover that they won't be able to edit photos then more people will complain and it's also on different idevices.

It's funny how these problems only appeared after iOS 13 update. Yet Apple Engineers don't recognise it.

They are going to contact me again on Friday 25 Oct with results which I'm not going to hold my breath over. It will be the usual story, but we shall see.

I will keep you all updated.

Oct 23, 2019 5:38 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 23, 2019 6:06 AM in response to Rosa07 In response to Rosa07

I have the same error "Cannot Load Photo There was an error loading this photo' when trying to edit a photo on my iPad or iPhone. I only get the error with photos that I uploaded directly onto my iCloud photos. Looking forward to an answer.

Oct 23, 2019 6:06 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 24, 2019 12:09 AM in response to Rosa07 In response to Rosa07

I tried renaming files to .jpeg and unfortunately this didn’t work for me :( Basically if I try to transfer photos to my phone via airdrop, icloud, or dropbox, it won’t work. But it *does* work if I download the images using my mobile browser (for example if I access the dropbox link on my mobile browser, or if I upload images to my website and download using my mobile browser). At least I have a workaround but it’s still a hassle and I hope they fix this soon.

Oct 24, 2019 12:09 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: JacobHelpme22

Question: Cannot load photo (There was an error loading this photo)