Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot load photo (There was an error loading this photo)

I get this message whenever I try to edit a photo in my camera roll. I do not have iCloud enabled and can’t seem to find any decent solutions around the forums. I’ve tried restarting my device. I have this issue for lots of pictures. It is only when I click edit. One in particular has a mark on it that I wanted to touch up but it will not let me. Please help

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 7:15 PM

109 replies

Oct 5, 2019 11:11 PM in response to wjapzon

No it's not a known issue within Apple engineers but they know now and were very interested in what I had told them.

I was on a lengthy phone call conversation with them describing the issue. At the same time I shared my PC screen and my iPhone screen with Apple and they could see what was happening when I upload to iCloud via pc and what happened with that photo on my iPhone. I've also submitted hard copy evidence with Apple and also told them it was a problem with many, going by the discussions in their Apple forum.

I won't know anything until Wednesday 9 October and I will post here once I find out. Cheers

Jan 7, 2020 11:07 PM in response to miah12_

miah12_ dskldkld Last I heard from Apple Support in mid December, was that they was no news on the bug. The Apple Support person basically said it was in Apple Engineers' hands and they would inform Support of any news.

I emailed my Support person just prior to Christmas and I got the same response.

I only found by the latest update iOS13.3 that my issue was resolved. I have no idea, but I suspect Apple was pushing the last two updates to see if the issue was fixed.

I've hear from others that the update fixed some, not others.

This is what happened to my situation since the iOS 13.3 upgrade.

1. My photos can now be loaded and edited and sent to Instagram or any other app.
  2. Any Canon or Sony photos which I've uploaded prior to update iOS 13.3 via www.icloud.com will not open in my Photos. I still get the error message Cannot load Photo.
  3. So, to fix that, I deleted all my Canon and Sony photos from www.icloud.com which were all uploaded prior to iOS 13.
  4. Then I re-uploaded my Canon and Sony photos to www.icloud.com and these will now load and can be edited and sent to Instagram or any other app.

Hope this makes sense and hope that it helps others.

I will still keep on Apple's back about a response to the bug report filed but to be honest I don't think I will get one.

Oct 5, 2019 11:38 PM in response to wjapzon

You're welcome. Has that worked for you copying your photos? The photos taken on my iPhone which I download from iCloud are fine, I can re upload those fine too. But if I make changes to them via Photoshop then upload them to iCloud, my iPhone won't open the photo.

It took me hours to resolve my issue and it came down to the file extension.

My workaround to the problem is to change the file name to .jpeg via Photoshop and iCloud will open those photos.

I have to do these to all my Canon and Sony photos if I upload to iCloud otherwise my photos won't open.

The Engineers were interested and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. So hopefully they too can see the problem their end.

Oct 23, 2019 5:38 AM in response to JacobHelpme22

I'm so over the Apple 'engineers'! Hopefully they will read this as I pointed out the need for them to look at www.discussions.apple.com

They rang back as promised and on time too! Usual story they couldn't find anything.

It's now the fourth week of going backwards and forwards with Apple engineers, sharing screens, syncing data with Apple as well repeating actions over and over with uploading photos to www.icloud.com then those same photos in my iPhone Photo App appear but the moment you go to edit them I receive the error message, "Cannot Load Photo, there was an error loading this photo"

Today, I went through the same old, same old with Apple and I got pretty frustrated and told them to check out the discussions here and other places in www.discussions.apple.com about error messages others are receiving. It's not an isolated incident. Once more people discover that they won't be able to edit photos then more people will complain and it's also on different idevices.

It's funny how these problems only appeared after iOS 13 update. Yet Apple Engineers don't recognise it.

They are going to contact me again on Friday 25 Oct with results which I'm not going to hold my breath over. It will be the usual story, but we shall see.

I will keep you all updated.

Oct 24, 2019 12:09 AM in response to Rosa07

I tried renaming files to .jpeg and unfortunately this didn’t work for me :( Basically if I try to transfer photos to my phone via airdrop, icloud, or dropbox, it won’t work. But it *does* work if I download the images using my mobile browser (for example if I access the dropbox link on my mobile browser, or if I upload images to my website and download using my mobile browser). At least I have a workaround but it’s still a hassle and I hope they fix this soon.

Oct 29, 2019 12:22 AM in response to JacobHelpme22

Sorry I meant to post before today but had a hectic weekend. I had a response from Apple engineers and they told me that they could now see the problem with the photos and the iPhone Photo App from their data collection sync off my iPhone. This was the third data sync with their profile installed on my phone and this time they actually 'captured' the problem 'live' with several of my photos not being able to open in the Photo Library because of the error 'Cannot Load Photo'.

So finally from all the statistics collected the engineers could 'see' the problem.

Apple did tell me that they will contact me again on Friday 1st November with their 'findings' and thanked me for bringing this to their attention. So I believe it's a bug after all.

Hopefully this will bring a fix.

Cannot load photo (There was an error loading this photo)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.