Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6th generation iPod Touch forgets where I left off in iTunes

After an update a few weeks ago my iPod Touch started forgetting things in iTunes. Either the song I was partway through went back to 0:00 or I got kicked out completely, in which case the song title bar reads "Not Playing" when I go back in and I have to re-enter the playlist and song selections to pick up where I left off. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Thanks!

iPod Touch (6th Gen)

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 9:25 AM

Greetings Danaphile,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems you're encountering issues playing music with your iPod touch, as you mentioned the song will revert to 0:00 during playback, or kick you out of the app.

If you're an Apple Music member, I suggest ensuring you're signed in to the iTunes Store with the correct Apple ID, and that Sync Library is enabled: Sign in to the App Store and iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV & Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

If this behavior is happening with streaming music, then I suggest testing the behavior while your iPod is connected with a different network, and testing the behavior after downloading the music for offline listening: Add and download music from Apple Music or the iTunes Store

If you're an Apple Music member, and if the music is downloaded for offline listening, then let's have you remove the download while keeping the music in your library, and test the behavior: Delete music, movies, and TV shows from your device

If this is occurring with music that you've synced from iTunes, then let's have you connect your iPod to your computer with iTunes, select your iPod within iTunes, select "Music" under "Settings" in the sidebar, uncheck "Sync Music" and click "Apply" to remove the music. Then check "Sync Music" and "Apply" once again to sync the music back to your iPod and test the behavior: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer

Let me know how it goes from here.

Kind regards.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 9:25 AM in response to Danaphile

Greetings Danaphile,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems you're encountering issues playing music with your iPod touch, as you mentioned the song will revert to 0:00 during playback, or kick you out of the app.

If you're an Apple Music member, I suggest ensuring you're signed in to the iTunes Store with the correct Apple ID, and that Sync Library is enabled: Sign in to the App Store and iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV & Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

If this behavior is happening with streaming music, then I suggest testing the behavior while your iPod is connected with a different network, and testing the behavior after downloading the music for offline listening: Add and download music from Apple Music or the iTunes Store

If you're an Apple Music member, and if the music is downloaded for offline listening, then let's have you remove the download while keeping the music in your library, and test the behavior: Delete music, movies, and TV shows from your device

If this is occurring with music that you've synced from iTunes, then let's have you connect your iPod to your computer with iTunes, select your iPod within iTunes, select "Music" under "Settings" in the sidebar, uncheck "Sync Music" and click "Apply" to remove the music. Then check "Sync Music" and "Apply" once again to sync the music back to your iPod and test the behavior: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer

Let me know how it goes from here.

Kind regards.

Oct 12, 2019 10:44 AM in response to Danaphile

I would be tempted to take some of the music off the iPod, so that there is more free space. Don't forget, the iPod needs free space so that it can store information it needs in order to do its job. One of those jobs is remembering where you left off.

There are a couple of ways to remove music temporarily;

• if you have Sync only ticked songs and videos selected when you sync, you can un-tick some songs in your iTunes Library, then Sync (which will remove those songs) and see if that helps
  • use Sync by Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres. Instead of syncing the entire music library, choose the option below that (number 3 in the screenshot), which the opens up choices (4.) for you to make about what you want on the iPod. Simply choose less than everything and then click on Sync or Apply to action it.

If that helps, the answer may be to keep more free space on your iPod.

in case you think that idea isn't acceptable because you want your music on the iPod, not off it, this is how you would make that work: create a Smart Playlist (or more than one) that removes songs from the Playlist once they've been played (well, at the next Sync with iTunes), and doesn't put them back again for as long as you want. Then, at each Sync with iTunes, songs that you've played are removed, leaving space for others to be put back on (at that same Sync) if they haven't been played for a while.

There's a bit more to it than that of course, such as how to create a suitable Smart Playlist, but I can help you with that if you would like to try it.

Oct 11, 2019 3:26 PM in response to CarlAVII

The problem has returned, and I'm thinking the issue may correspond to the instances when I make additions to my song library, which I did right before this latest incident. This is a 64GB unit, but it says I have only 1.7GB of space left. Does this affect the memory it has? Any additional suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

6th generation iPod Touch forgets where I left off in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.