Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sign in to the Acorn TV channel in Apple TV with my existing Acorn subscription?

I have an Acorn TV subscription that I bought from their website... How do I sign into my account inside Apple TV - the channel shows up but it only gives me the option to subscribe/start a free trial...

I’m using the same email for both Acorn and Apple, and my other subscriptions that I bought outside of Apple/iTunes have automatically recognized my account/signed me in (ex. Amazon Prime, Crave, etc), but the Acorn TV channel doesn’t seem to recognize my account...

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 11:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 10:10 AM

When they give specific meaning to generic words, it can cause confusion. Apple has sort-of claimed the word ‘channel’ for their subscriptions inside the Apple TV app. Subscribe to Apple TV channels in the Apple TV app - Apple Support. At this time, these channels have the circular icon in the Apple TV app. Apple gets their own copies of the content for this service, so you are not steaming from Acorn’s servers. The Apple TV app is needed to view this subscription content (not their own app, nor their website).

This is different from viewing the same content in Acorn’s own app, even if linked/redirected through the Apple TV app (i.e. from Watch Now or Up Next). Availability of supported apps in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

For viewing using Acorn’s own app or other devices, you can subscribe through iTunes (Acorn TV in-app purchase) or through Acorn (their site). Neither option gives access the the “Apple TV channel” Acorn TV service in the Apple TV app.

So there are 3 ways to subscribe to essentially the same content.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 10:10 AM in response to daisy_emm

When they give specific meaning to generic words, it can cause confusion. Apple has sort-of claimed the word ‘channel’ for their subscriptions inside the Apple TV app. Subscribe to Apple TV channels in the Apple TV app - Apple Support. At this time, these channels have the circular icon in the Apple TV app. Apple gets their own copies of the content for this service, so you are not steaming from Acorn’s servers. The Apple TV app is needed to view this subscription content (not their own app, nor their website).

This is different from viewing the same content in Acorn’s own app, even if linked/redirected through the Apple TV app (i.e. from Watch Now or Up Next). Availability of supported apps in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

For viewing using Acorn’s own app or other devices, you can subscribe through iTunes (Acorn TV in-app purchase) or through Acorn (their site). Neither option gives access the the “Apple TV channel” Acorn TV service in the Apple TV app.

So there are 3 ways to subscribe to essentially the same content.

Oct 7, 2019 5:18 AM in response to Urquhart1244

i have to check what model my Apple TV is - it’s not a new one is all I can remember at the moment 😄

I can sign into my Acorn account without any problem both online or in their app... I can AirPlay that from my phone or iPad no problem, but I’d like to be able to just sign into the channel in the Apple TV app just like I do with all my other subscriptions...

If the channels inside Apple TV are only for “special aubscriptions through Apple exclusively”, why am I able to sign into every other subscription - none of which I purchased through iTunes? Amazon Prime, CBS All Access, Crave, Netflix all allowed me to sign it and/or recognized my user info...

Oct 7, 2019 10:34 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you! That explanation was so helpful - I mean it’s annoying enough that Apple TV means both a physical piece of equipment and an app, but I didn’t realize at all the channel thing...

My brain doesn’t want to contemplate the whys or even hows it could be better - at this point, just glad for the explanation that means I’m not missing something/doing something wrong that should be ‘obvious’ 😄

Thank you again for your answer and time😊

How do I sign in to the Acorn TV channel in Apple TV with my existing Acorn subscription?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.