Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 iOS 13.1.2 huge issues - no wifi, can’t connect to iTunes

Hello,

I have a big problem with my iPad Air 2 since I updated to iOS 13.1.2!

• Secured wifi networks don’t work.
  • iTunes doesn’t recognize my device.
  • Most apps crash during startup.
  • I cannot backup through iCloud since I cannot log in to my Apple ID (“Verification failed: An unknown error occurred”)

Restoring without a backup isn’t an option for me. Also, I can’t call Apple because my device is too old. Young enough for them to break it through faulty software but too old to fix it.

I tried resetting all settings multiple times, I tried turning on iCloud backup (doesn’t work), I’ve even did the update through recovery mode (the only way I can my iTunes get to recognize my iPad). But it doesn’t change anything.

Is there anything else I can do without losing my data? Can I maybe downgrade somehow from recovery mode without losing my data?

Thanks for your help!

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 3:24 PM

After countless hours of trying and searching for a solution, I’ve finally solved the issue (for now). And my solution actually proves that the issue can be fixed by Apple through a software update - if they don’t, they just clearly don’t care about their users with the issue.

Link to where I’ve found the solution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250682648?answerId=251362051022#251362051022

And here’s what I did:

• Download the iPadOS beta profile and install it
  • Install iPadOS 13.2 beta

iTunes recognizes my iPad again, I can now make a backup and even iCloud works fine again. I hope I won’t run into any more problems from now on, but my main priority for now was saving my data and I’ve achieved that.

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 3:24 PM in response to Elghandi

After countless hours of trying and searching for a solution, I’ve finally solved the issue (for now). And my solution actually proves that the issue can be fixed by Apple through a software update - if they don’t, they just clearly don’t care about their users with the issue.

Link to where I’ve found the solution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250682648?answerId=251362051022#251362051022

And here’s what I did:

• Download the iPadOS beta profile and install it
  • Install iPadOS 13.2 beta

iTunes recognizes my iPad again, I can now make a backup and even iCloud works fine again. I hope I won’t run into any more problems from now on, but my main priority for now was saving my data and I’ve achieved that.

Oct 7, 2019 1:58 AM in response to QuickPost

Thank you for your help,

so unless Apple releases an update, I will have to wipe all my data without the possibility of making a backup?

That’s sadly not an option for me as I use the iPad for work and I can’t afford to lose that data (and subsequently my job).

I hope someone at Apple reads this. Their support right now is a terrible joke. I never wanted to look into alternatives because I genuinely like Apple products but this update is terrible.

If it helps, I’ve read about several people with similar issues on iPad Air 2. Those updating from 12.x straight to 13.1.2 seem to have the worst.

Oct 8, 2019 3:30 PM in response to QuickPost

Hello zmclearan,

once again, thanks for your advice!

I have solved the issue for now by updating to the iPadOS 13.2 beta. You seem to know quite a bit about iOS - do you know if resetting my iPad to iOS 13.1.2 and then restoring my backup from the 13.2 beta would work? Or would you rather advise me to stay on the 13.2 beta and update once the final version is released?

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I think I’ve found the correct procedure in Apple’s help files. Best way seems to be to opt out of the beta by uninstalling the beta profile, then wait for the next update to come around.

Oct 8, 2019 3:30 PM in response to Elghandi

Hello,

You are welcome! I have heard from many users that restoring their iPad to iPadOS 13.1.2, not to a backup, resolves most of the weird bugs with iPad Air 2 and iPadOS 13. I strongly suggest against installing Apple pre-release software as it could cause other system instabilities and you will no longer be eligible to ask for help on these forums or through AppleCare. It is you decision if you do wish to install pre-release Apple software.

Oct 12, 2019 7:59 PM in response to Skyhawk Mapper

Thanks S.Mapper. It isn't all about me.

I run an Android OS on an LG. Apparently, Android fits the need a bit better in this particular case. When I set settings for this Android Create HotSpot selection, it allows me to chose "Open" ie no psswd. That allowed me to sign up for and get ipados13.2. Not sure how to handle an iPhone in this case.

Oct 13, 2019 11:18 AM in response to Elghandi

After the install of OSI 13.1.2 iPad Air the device turned into a brick. I spent more than two hours on the phone with Apple support they couldn’t help me. The best the could do is make a appointment at my local Best Buy for support. I’m am sitting at Best Buy while the attempt to get it to accept passwords etc. They are not optimistic. They told me they have seen scores of iPads in the same state. Given its current condition even if they issue a patch we will not be able to download it. What really ****** me off is Apple knows ISO 13.1.2 is a disaster and they are doing nothing about it. The least they could do is give us a timeline of when are devices will be fixed.

DO NOT INSTALL IT!

Oct 13, 2019 11:36 AM in response to Elghandi

I am also having issues with ios13.1.2 upgrade for my iPad Air 2. Device has now become unusable and everything I try to do is killing more apps.

Apples approach is no longer what Steve Jobs set out. These upgrades have become more frequent as a result of of lack of detail and lack of focus on customer rather than stock market.

Apple devices just used to work now we are being held hostage to upgrading to latest hardware at exorbitant prices.

Shame on you Apple

Oct 13, 2019 10:04 PM in response to Marinalou

Apple has been going downhill for a long time. Back when Steve Jobs was around and running the show updates were tested and working before they were released. Now they just throw out updates and use their users as guinea pigs and wait for the calls to come in to find out what they need to fix. Really frustrating for Apple users, but it is Apple and they don’t really care. If you call Apple Support and get someone that knows what they’re doing “immediately” go out and buy a lottery ticket before your luck runs out!

Oct 14, 2019 6:33 AM in response to herman43

I’m in the same boat with my iPad Air 2. And the release of 13.1.2 was not highlighted as a Beta version. Just an update. Now my VPN has crashed, Kindle is not working properly, the screen shudders and shuts down, Notes disappear, the App Store won’t recognise me, you name it. I’m scared to touch it in case it completely shuts down. It’s a new Ipad too that I found amongst old stock because Air2 is my favourite iPad. I was on iOS 12 so am probably one of the worst impacted as Elghandi said.

Please provide fixes for the Air2 as a matter of urgency, Apple Support.

We shouldn’t have to, and I won’t, restore to factory settings just yet.

Oct 14, 2019 6:08 PM in response to Elghandi

Update on IPad Air2 and iOS 13.1.2. Samantha from Apple support Singapore suspected network issues which occur on some, but not all devices in the same house with this update. After resetting network settings on the IPad, switching off our router and hub, re connecting them and then re entering wifi details things seem to be resolved. VPN back, apps back, fast downloading times. It’s worth a try. No other devices in our house had issues with the update. Just my iPad Air2.

Oct 14, 2019 6:23 PM in response to Elghandi

I spent time with apple support and we both finally agreed to take my ipad air 2 to the apple store. They were able to re-install ios 13.1.2 which did not help.

My big issue is I did not have my ipad set to auto-backup like my iphone.

I have had a problem getting my wifi motorola cable modem/router unsecured with no password to attempt the only solution that may work.

I have been working on another project and hoping that apple would come through. Obviously, they have solved it in the beta version 13.2.

iPad Air 2 iOS 13.1.2 huge issues - no wifi, can’t connect to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.