Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to initialise a dvd which is connected to my MacBook Air

I want to initialise a dvd which is connected to my MacBook Air via a separate dvd drive. When I go to utilities , no way, just says zero KB and no actions available. I have tried to burn to dvd but message says not enough space. The movie from FCP is 10.9GB and when compressed burned quite happily and played on my iPad but not on the tv - message no playable material, probably because it was compressed.

Any ideas, thanks

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 4:57 AM

If you have a movie you want to view on a TV you have to burn it as a DVD, not as a data DVD for most DVD players (one or two will play some types of data provided the formatting is not Mac-specific). To burn it as a normal DVD you need iDVD or a third-party program to do this (Toast can, though its menu structure is limited).

You can't initialize a blank DVD: the formatting is applies when you burn it. You can only initialize a used DVD if it is specifically a re-writeable one.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 4:57 AM in response to DerekBradley

If you have a movie you want to view on a TV you have to burn it as a DVD, not as a data DVD for most DVD players (one or two will play some types of data provided the formatting is not Mac-specific). To burn it as a normal DVD you need iDVD or a third-party program to do this (Toast can, though its menu structure is limited).

You can't initialize a blank DVD: the formatting is applies when you burn it. You can only initialize a used DVD if it is specifically a re-writeable one.

Oct 7, 2019 3:31 PM in response to DerekBradley

Well, I hope it works for you. Just to be clear: iDVD was an app included within a suite of apps from Apple and was discontinued years ago. It still works in older OS versions (if you have it) - I have it and use it on my external clone of 10.9 Mavericks (which is the last OS it is stable on). If you are referring to this:

https://www.iskysoft.com/create-dvd/idvd-lion.html

So, that is not iDVD, it is DVD creator and that is compatible up to High Sierre (10.13) - you have 10.14 so you best check with them. According to their tech specs, it is only compatible up to 10.13.

And, be careful with that company; I would not do business with anyone that sells software that can bypass copyright and DRM protections or iOS data recovery stuff. I do not find them trustworthy.

I want to initialise a dvd which is connected to my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.