Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

catalina mail column view

In the new Mac osX CataIina I cannot find a way to change the columns viewed in Mail. You used to be able to change the field widths and add columns from the View/Columns menu. How can I accomplish this now?

Also, what does the black background TO next to the email title mean?

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 10:41 PM

I called Apple Support today and the first tech who shared my screen could not understand why I can no longer adjust the column width and change the Message List font style in Mail Preferences but can only change the font size (the only one that comes with Mail v. 13.0.

So he handed me over to a Senior Advisor who also shared my screen.

He told me other Mac users have complained about the same issue but no solution was found yet.

Then, after the Senior Advisor directed me thru doing a live Quick Time Screen Recording and having me show the problem on my iMac (it's the same width/font issue for Apple Mail v. 13.0 on my MacBook Pro, so he knew it was a Catalina issue) and having a log file created to send to "Apple's Engineering Dept.," I decided to deselect Column View Layout on the Mail toolbar and found that I could successfully change both the font style and font size in Message List to what I liked.

The Senior Advisor then told me that he researched the issue while I was doing that and he read me an internal report that confirmed Mail in Catalina no longer supports Column View Layout or changing the font style in that mode.

Like most of you, I prefer to use Column View and am not pleased with not having the option to continue to use Column View the way I had it set up in every other version of Mac OS I have used previously, which for me goes back eight years.

Finally, the Senior Advisor provided me with this same website others in this forum referenced to give feedback to Apple to let them know I want to be able to use Column View the way I could before.

He told me if he hears of a way to adjust the column widths and change the font in Column View, he will contact me; however, he did say that because it is not technically a malfunction in Apple Mail but rather a change in the program, he doubts he will have a solution and apologized. He told me he agrees that this was not a positive change in Catalina and Apple should offer the option to use Mail the way I (and now I can say, "We" after reading all the posts in this thread) prefer.

So....I will send my feedback thru this link, below, and "hope" it makes a difference.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

529 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 10:41 PM in response to petemcl

I called Apple Support today and the first tech who shared my screen could not understand why I can no longer adjust the column width and change the Message List font style in Mail Preferences but can only change the font size (the only one that comes with Mail v. 13.0.

So he handed me over to a Senior Advisor who also shared my screen.

He told me other Mac users have complained about the same issue but no solution was found yet.

Then, after the Senior Advisor directed me thru doing a live Quick Time Screen Recording and having me show the problem on my iMac (it's the same width/font issue for Apple Mail v. 13.0 on my MacBook Pro, so he knew it was a Catalina issue) and having a log file created to send to "Apple's Engineering Dept.," I decided to deselect Column View Layout on the Mail toolbar and found that I could successfully change both the font style and font size in Message List to what I liked.

The Senior Advisor then told me that he researched the issue while I was doing that and he read me an internal report that confirmed Mail in Catalina no longer supports Column View Layout or changing the font style in that mode.

Like most of you, I prefer to use Column View and am not pleased with not having the option to continue to use Column View the way I had it set up in every other version of Mac OS I have used previously, which for me goes back eight years.

Finally, the Senior Advisor provided me with this same website others in this forum referenced to give feedback to Apple to let them know I want to be able to use Column View the way I could before.

He told me if he hears of a way to adjust the column widths and change the font in Column View, he will contact me; however, he did say that because it is not technically a malfunction in Apple Mail but rather a change in the program, he doubts he will have a solution and apologized. He told me he agrees that this was not a positive change in Catalina and Apple should offer the option to use Mail the way I (and now I can say, "We" after reading all the posts in this thread) prefer.

So....I will send my feedback thru this link, below, and "hope" it makes a difference.

Oct 9, 2019 2:58 PM in response to petemcl

Apple has decided that they know what's best for you and how you read email.. Don't second guess them. Just get used to it. Really. They've studied this issue at length and have decided that "one size fits all" is best for everybody. Especially the numbnuts who thought this was a good idea.

C'mon Apple, this was a poorly thought out mistake. Fix it.

Aug 8, 2020 7:24 PM in response to Beeblebrox

Hallelujah, Mail Column View, as it was, is back with Big Sur! I joined the Beta Program and installed the Beta version of Big Sur and I can confirm that the column view is restored to its original grandeur. Any information that you desire is available and sortable by the same.

Maybe Apple did realize they made a blunder with Catalina and maybe they do listen to us. Possibly it was a major software change and took a lot to restore it.

I only wish they would have let us know they planned to restore Mail so we would have not had to spend so much time writing to this post and sending service requests. Also, in the introductory clip for Big Sur, it would be nice if they highlighted the return of the column view as originally designed.

A message to Apple:

"Please do not be so distant from your loyal customers and fans!!!". You could have responded to this thread to give us hope.

Oct 19, 2019 7:37 PM in response to petemcl

Foolish, foolish! And, what was the problem this change solved?

Clearly, the designers did not think to survey heavy users of this tool (Apple mail) before modifying (i.e. removing) a critical "ease of use" feature. Screwing with long standing ergonomics will frustrate many, particularly the long time users.

This is the very feature users of Gmail complain of not having. Big step back, down, out, whatever...

Shout out to RICKRACK305 for providing the link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html (thank you)

Apple, please provide the ability to revert to the classic features in the mail program

Oct 26, 2019 11:50 AM in response to AZsport115

Apple may not monitor these discussion forums but they do on their official feedback channel.

So if you believe columns in your mail inbox is (1) A basic required element of functionality and it’s removal serves no conceivable purpose, (2) Was highly valued as crucial by you the user and (3) As a loyal user of Apple products DEMANDED back!

leave your feedback on the link below:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Nov 12, 2019 6:30 AM in response to petemcl

Someone suggested we should stop buying Apple products until they bring us back classic view and adjustable columns.

Some say that Apple don't read anything on this forum. In that case, a "lock-out" is of very little value.

A better idea would be that all of us write and complain to apple using this link https://www.apple.com/feedback/

That should give a reaction if we all did this!

Nov 14, 2019 12:25 PM in response to petemcl

Well, my original post was just deleted, so I'll edit it to say:

It's really distressing how often now a new release just means trouble. I used to hate the people who decried every change as ruining their life because for decades Apple has brought joy to my work. I'm for innovation, not against change. But so many changes of the last several years arbitrarily destroy meaningful and established functionality. With the original decimation of features in iWork, and the dilution of column views in Music, and this, and the rampant elimination of ports, as well as many other moves, it seems like Apple's actively trying to dissuade anybody even close to a power user.

The support pages aren't monitored for feedback, so mentioning it here won't do much good.

I sent something to this effect to Apple Feedback, and urge everyone else to do the same:

Jan 3, 2020 5:55 PM in response to leroydouglas

petemcl: You cannot adjust column width under Catalina. Please do two things:

1) Call AppleCare and ask the rep to file a complaint.

2) Fill your own complaint at https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

Apple only works on algorithms these days, not common sense, and the only algorith that governs the developers is how many complaints they get, not the quality of the complaints.

Jan 10, 2020 7:03 PM in response to maryml

Submitted to https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

Over the years Apple has reduced the functionality of Mail.app on macOS.

Of late in Catalina you have removed the ability so reorder and resize columns in View -> Use Column Layout

Previously you ruined the "On <date> <so-and-so> wrote: header by quoting it in the reply. This is totally wrong because the sender did not write that, it was new in the reply.

Plus, the .signature belongs at the bottom, not above the quoted text.

And finally there is your broken concept of "Conversations" which is no substitute for proper threading, which Microsoft Outlook gets right. At least you know to include In-Reply-To: and References: headers so as not to break real mail applications who know how to thread.

catalina mail column view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.