Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Snapchat lighten my pictures on iPhone?

I need Snapchat or Apple to fix the quality for the front facing and rear facing camera because it looks so bad. It looks like Android quality. It looks fuzzy textured. Please fix this. It’s very irritating.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 8:16 PM

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

"Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party.” [Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty – Accessory - For Apple and Beats Branded Products Only.]

FYI: These are user-only forums. You are not speaking to Apple. if you need to speak with Apple Support, then contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

93 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 8:16 PM in response to Jay_2003

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

"Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party.” [Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty – Accessory - For Apple and Beats Branded Products Only.]

FYI: These are user-only forums. You are not speaking to Apple. if you need to speak with Apple Support, then contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Oct 11, 2019 9:10 PM in response to Jay_2003

This has also been an issue for a long long time with the XR/XS. This is an issue with snapchat and not apple. Usually support for the new cameras comes out within a month however even the XR and XS cameras are still not properly supported by snapchat.

My biggest suggestion? Review Snapchat one star and say you are going to stop using Snapchat and use instagram instead as the iPhone 11 camera quality looks rubbish.

Oct 27, 2019 8:44 PM in response to Sofiaaaaaaa

Sofiaaaaaaa wrote:

Yaa the thing is, its not only bad on snapchat, its bad using the camera itself. Like i get why it would be bad on snapchat but its also the same without snapchat.

yaa... may I suggest you start your own discussion. This conversation is about only Snapchat being bad.

Not the same thing after all.

Also ... https://support.apple.com/contact

Oct 17, 2019 10:52 PM in response to Jay_2003

I have never been so disappointed in an apple product before I bought the iPhone 11. I recently upgraded from an iPhone X to an iPhone 11 and as soon as I got the phone it seemed normal. Then I took a closer look while using it and the camera quality looks like a cheap android phone camera it is so blurry., the colors seem to be off and the overall quality of the phone looks like I got my cracked screen fixed at a cheap mall cellphone repair place. If All iPhone 11 owners are unable to get their problem fixed then I will be getting rid of the iPhone. This quality is not worth the $800 I’m paying. I might as well use an iPhone 5s.

Oct 23, 2019 5:28 PM in response to Jay_2003

My biggest and only problem with upgrading to the new iPhone 11 is the Snapchat camera not adjusting to lighting. I used to be able to tap on where I wanted the lighting adjust (usually if it’s too bright) and it would automatically focus and adjust accordingly. That isn’t an option anymore and it’s literally ruining my life lol no more golden hour selfies :(

Oct 26, 2019 1:41 AM in response to Jay_2003

I’m experiencing the exact same thing. I switched to apple from android mainly for the optimized apps. Snapchat was supposed to use the actual camera on the iPhone instead of taking a screenshot like on android, but it’s doing the exact same thing and looks terrible.

I’ve read on other forums that Snapchat apparently have to update the app to support the new phone ... but it’s been out for a month now, how has it not been updated yet??

Oct 28, 2019 10:17 AM in response to Jay_2003

I don't use snapchat, but although I have the video settings set to record in 4k, when I review the videos on my Macbook Pro, they look like they were recorded in 240p. My iphone 5 videos were better than this! Just got back from vacation and regret not using my Nikon or even one of my older iphones instead of my new iphone 11. Not sure if I have a bad phone, or if there will be a software update soon to fix this problem. However, I am EXTREMELY disappointed with Apple right now!

Nov 4, 2019 7:18 PM in response to Jay_2003

The reason you’re seeing a decrease in quality from before you take the picture and after is because Snapchat condenses the file (aka your picture). This is less noticeable on the smaller screen resolution’s which is why it used to work great, however, you have to give Snapchat some time to catch up. However, the issue I am experiencing is the front facing flash completely washing out my face and I look like Edward from Twilight. Probably an issue with the codec or how snap is processing your photos, but it’s extremely bad. Another thing I will mention is that Apple isn’t in charge, nor are they responsible for Snapchat or its bugs. If you want this fixed, you need to post on a Snapchat forum, not Apple’s forums. Apple isn’t going to push out a software update for better compatibility with a 3rd party app. I recommend reddit over this. As far as the grainy pictures go however, that is due to Snapchat compressing your images to make the file size smaller, in the same way that YouTube does it. Think about how big a file size is when you take a picture. Now multiply that by how many pictures you send a day, and then multiply that by how many people use Snapchat altogether. Snapchat can’t handle that from a tech perspective. I would say if you’re not having the flash issue, be grateful, and if you are, submit it to a Snapchat help forum or submit a ticket directly to Snapchat. Also, trust me when I say this, they are probably already aware of it. There has to be someone at Snapchat with an iPhone 11. That person is going to notice the same things your and I are noticing. Not a perfect situation, but just do what you can by posting where it will help :)

Why does Snapchat lighten my pictures on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.