Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOs Catalina add music manually on iPhone 11

I can't manually add music on iphone with the catalina public version official released yesterday, is it a bug or someone kindly has the solution? thanks marcus

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 3:51 PM

I have this problem too, I manually manage my Music library on my iMac 2015. After updating to Catalina I could no longer manually move music drag between the Music app and my plugged in iPhone. The iPhone icon to the left on the Music app didn't light up when I dragged music onto it.

I finally solved it.

Place the music you want to move into a new playlist on your Mac, then drag the playlist to the left hand iPhone devices entry in the Music app and its then allowed and loads OK. .

This must be a workaround to a Catalina bug, I can't believe it's intended as the only way to manually manage your music between mac and iPhone.

87 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2019 3:51 PM in response to Tomshark

I have this problem too, I manually manage my Music library on my iMac 2015. After updating to Catalina I could no longer manually move music drag between the Music app and my plugged in iPhone. The iPhone icon to the left on the Music app didn't light up when I dragged music onto it.

I finally solved it.

Place the music you want to move into a new playlist on your Mac, then drag the playlist to the left hand iPhone devices entry in the Music app and its then allowed and loads OK. .

This must be a workaround to a Catalina bug, I can't believe it's intended as the only way to manually manage your music between mac and iPhone.

Jan 2, 2020 10:06 PM in response to michaeltexas

I just updated to Catalina and updated my iPhone and have also discovered this problem. Thanks to all who wrote about this because I thought I was going crazy.

To everyone who suggests "Just turn on Manage Music manually" please stop. You're missing the point. Here's what I've discovered. Perhaps someone from Apple will take note? BTW - I'm writing " iTunes" in place of the new "MUSIC" name for the app.

• I can no longer Drag and Drop songs from iTunes into my iPhone, unless the songs have been in the library for a while. I have no clue why that is. If I download an album from Bandcamp and import it into iTunes, I can't then copy it into my iPhone via Drag and Drop. Also, the same issue occurs when I rip a newly purchased CD into iTunes.
  • I can make a Playlist of the newly downloaded album (simply by dragging the entire album into the left sidebar of iTunes). Then I can drag and drop that playlist into the iPhone, but why in the world would anyone consider that an improvement? And why hide that information from users?
  • For those who mentioned using a Right Click and choosing Add To Device -- again, that only seems to work with older tracks. With my newly ripped or downloaded tracks, Add to Device is either not available (if I'm clicking on the songs) or greyed out in the menu bar.
  • Another weird thing - I can't Drag and Drop tracks from my Desktop into iTunes if I'm in the "Recently Added" window. I can Drag and Drop from my desktop to iTunes if I'm in the Songs window. Seems odd. MLately I've been using the menubar's IMPORT function instead when bringing a new album into iTunes.

BTW - I generally listen to entire albums, so making Playlists of select songs is not something I do. Perhaps Apple has forgotten that people purchase and listen to entire albums?

One more weird thing - this recent upgrade also changes how Apple's Carplay looks in my car. Generally, the improvements there are excellent. However, the need to import via Playlists into my iPhone has an unintended impact. Now, when I select Recently Added from the Music App in Carplay, all my new albums have two icons - one for the album and another from the Playlist of the album. So I only see half as many albums at once. That's annoying.

I have discovered that I can manually delete the Playlists from within my iPhone and it doesn't delete the song files. In fact, a user's ability to manage songs and playlists within the iPhone has improved, which is lucky because this screw up with the iTunes/Music app sucks big time. Something tells me the people who did this don't actually listen to full albums. They just build Playlists from lots of songs. If you do that, this might all seem fine.

I have not found any other workarounds that are reliable for this issue.

Feb 6, 2020 5:27 PM in response to Tomshark

AHA! I was having this same problem but none of the solutions here worked for me (though I admit I skimmed). What ultimately fixed it for me was this:

1. Unplug your phone from your Mac.
  2. On your iPhone go to: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy
  3. Plug your phone back into your Mac. Click "Trust" When the "Trust this computer?" prompt appears.
  4. On your Mac, "Trust" When the "Trust this iPhone?" prompt appears

I can now copy songs right from Catalina's Music app onto my iPhone. I hope this works for you!

Oct 14, 2019 10:47 PM in response to Tomshark

I'm still not able to manually add music, even with the suggestions above.

In addition to not being able to drag-and-drop, the "Add to Device" item is grayed out in the "Song" menu even though my phone is attached and showing in the left pane under Devices.

I believe this is a bug. The expected behavior is that if your device is attached you should be able to manually add songs to that device (unless perhaps there is some copyright management, but that isn't the case here).

Jan 4, 2020 1:16 PM in response to johnfromcavendish

With 10.15.2 set to manually control music, click on your device in finder and select manual control. Open Apple Music and select Artist or Albums or what ever on the left, Highlight the songs that you want to copy across, drag them over to your device on the left and then click on your device and there they are.

The problem has been solved, I believe, but we've got to get our heads around it.

Oct 23, 2019 6:34 PM in response to Tomshark

Plug your iphone in

Open finder

Scroll down on the side bar on the left hand side of the finder window until you see "Locations"

Click on your iphone

You'll have to "trust" the computer when prompted to do so on your iphone.

Once that process is complete open up the music app on your mac and you'll see your iphone under "devices" on the left hand side.

You can now manually drag and drop music into your iphone like before.

Oct 23, 2019 7:10 PM in response to Tomshark

I have the same issue. I tried everything the folks below suggested with no luck. Even did the last Catalina update, still can't manage music manually. Can't add any music to my iPhone from my iMac. So no new Mobil music for me until this issue is fixed. iTunes worked so well for so long. Why change something just to change it? Especially if you can't make it work. Very frustrating Apple. Please figure this one out ASAP.

Oct 24, 2019 6:59 AM in response to saavedra1990

That's not the issue I'm having. Using the finder and seeing the iphone under "devices" in the music app is fine.

The issue I have is that's all I can see in the music app on my laptop. Just the iphone. It doesn't have a drop down that shows the playlists on the iphone so that I can edit them. I still see the playlists that are on my laptop but not the playlists on my iphone.

Editing the playlists on the iphone itself is laborious. Using the app (when it was iTunes) on the laptop is so much easier. I'm hoping they find a way to bring that option back. It's sorely missed.

Oct 26, 2019 6:43 AM in response to Tomshark

For me it worked for only 1/2 devices.

iPhone 7 Plus worked fine.

iPad 2nd 12.9 doesn't work at all!!!

It is so frustrating, that I even tried deleting my music and importing it back and of course it wasn't syncing so it didn't delete any of the songs. But deleting them from the Settings App did delete everything, and since I can't sync the tablet... I have no music in my iPad!!!! (Palm in the face)

Thanks Apple (Sarcasm alert!)

Oct 28, 2019 5:40 AM in response to Scott Brogan

I completely agree with Scott here. Also, if you go through the finder to manage your library on the phone, its also eliminated the ability to sort through your phone library by different categories like you could on iTunes. I have a large GB iPhone with a lot of music not purchased through iTunes or available on streaming. Catalina makes utilizing your libraries like this on your iPhone an almost impossible experience

MacOs Catalina add music manually on iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.