Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mounting smb shares after upgrade to Catalina not working

I have a NAS storage device connected to my router on my internal network which is protected by a username & password. Prior to the upgrade to Catalina my 2016 15" Macbook Pro had no issues connecting to these shares using smb://routername/share. After the upgrade to catalina I can no longer connect to the network shares. It keeps asking me for my username & password, and no matter what I enter the dialog box keeps coming back. When I try on the command line using "mount_smbfs //username:password@routername/share mountpoint" I keep getting the error message "mount_smbfs: server rejected the connection: Authentication error". If I go into the router and remove the credentials from the shares, then the mount works fine. I know the credentials are correct (I reset them in the router).

I've also re-enabled NetBIOS as described in this article (https://medium.com/@gobinathm/how-to-access-smb-printer-shares-in-macos-catalina-10-15-17ea91d2c10b) but that did not help.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 1:38 AM

not really, i am using synology and ban the smb 1.0 in file sharing. it does not work and i try to open the netbios as i searched online. not work. the only i find helpful is to select the 'Go' in Finder and connect as afp://yourserver it works well.

and waiting for the upgrade from apple.

Similar questions

74 replies

Oct 20, 2019 4:11 AM in response to rezamercury

Very helpful! Thank you! I also have a couple of WDSHARESPACE NAS devices. I went into each NAS device and saw that AFP was enabled. Then I went to 'Go', from the MacOS Finder menu bar, selected 'Connect to Server', and entered in the string that you listed in your reply below. I entered the username and password, and it worked perfectly!

The link at the bottom was also a good overview of AFP, SMB, etc. that provide some simple explanation.

afp://username@<NAS ip address>/sharefoldername

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

Nov 5, 2019 7:58 AM in response to edeandrea

This may help some people, but perhaps not everyone. If you were mounting a network volume somewhere in the root directory, this will fail in Catalina. There is a workaround as described in this thread: Java app needs root access - Apple Community

You need mount the network volume somewhere in the data volume /System/Volumes/Data and then use the synthetic.conf file to map root link to that mount point.

Oct 30, 2019 12:21 AM in response to edeandrea

Workaround to login on your NAS storage.

1. Open Finder
  2. Click "Go" in the menu
  3. Click: "Connect to Server"
  4. Type: cifs://192.168.123.22 (the IP adres of your NAS storage (My equipment = Synology CS407 with firmware DSM 3.1-639)
  5. Enter your Username and Password
  6. Select the Volumename and your Shared drive will be available in Finder and as Drive-icon on the desktop

In my case the NAS only support CIFS/SMB1, that is still supported by Catalina, but you cannot connect with a script because you get an authentication (Password) error.

The difference is that Catalina tries to login with encrypted credentials with the SMB2 or 3 protocol.

I tried two tools (Tweaking4All) " ConnectMeNow.App" and (App Store - not available anymore) "DriveMounter.App", both are not usable anymore.

Oct 15, 2019 4:54 AM in response to YichenLiu

Thank you. I am not well versed in computer speak but your GO Connect to Server does seem to work for me.

I have a Western Digital RAID (PR2100) NAS connected to my router. I use it primarily for my photos and for Time machine backups. Since Catalina it has continued to work mostly fine BUT it sort of forgets the connection after a while. So after a reboot all works fine but if i go away for a while (hour or more) I start seeing messages that time machine backup failed and I can't see the details of shares in finder, eg I see this.... I still do but after doing your GO trick it is backing up and i can see photos ... previously my only fix was to reboot

Oct 8, 2019 6:44 AM in response to edeandrea

I too have the same issue. I also have a Windows 10 PC with SMB sharing enabled on my home network. I can access the Windows 10 SMB shares from my Mac, but not the router's NAS share. I do know from experience with the Windows 10 PC accessing the NAS share, that SMB version 1.0 access has to be enabled from the client in order to work with my NAS share, which I think uses plain-text passwords, which is not enabled by default in the /etc/nsmb.conf file. I've enabled this (minauth=none), but I still can't access the NAS SMB share. Is there another setting somewhere I'm missing?

Oct 8, 2019 7:43 AM in response to edeandrea

@eandrea - I tested changing the protocol setting, and as expected, when I set it to 1 I no longer could 'see' the other SMB share. When I removed it, the share re-appeared. However, on both settings I still couldn't access the NAS share.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is some issue with SMB version 1.0 access. And I would bet your NAS server uses SMB 1.0 as well.

Oct 8, 2019 8:01 AM in response to ksaro1

Thank you for the confirmation @ksaro1. I confirmed that my NAS server does use SMB 1.0 via the smbutil statshares -a utility (I turned off authentication on my share and connected it):

==================================================================================================
SHARE                         ATTRIBUTE TYPE                VALUE
==================================================================================================
backup                        
                              SERVER_NAME                   REMOVED
                              USER_ID                       REMOVED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
                              SMB_VERSION                   SMB_1
                              SMB_SHARE_TYPE                UNKNOWN
                              UNIX_SUPPORT                  TRUE
                              LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED          TRUE

Oct 10, 2019 8:17 PM in response to edeandrea

I have a Synology NAS and was able to partially restore connectivity by changing setting in the file services control panel on the NAS. For me it was under advanced settings on the SMB/AFP/NFS tab. I changed Maximum SMB protocol to SMB3 then changed Minimum SMB protocol to SMB2 with large MTU. I still can't connect from the sidebar in the finder but I can connect by using Go>Connect to Server. I also have to specify my login credentials using OSX's full name for me, it does not work using my account name. Other NAS boxes may have similar settings. Good Luck!

Oct 11, 2019 2:54 AM in response to edeandrea

I have a Billion Bipac 8800AXL R2 wifi modem/router with a USB attached HDD. The Bipac only supports SMB v1 with authentication. There is no alternative way to share the HDD from this device. Therefore, if the Mac OS X doesn't support SMB v1 with authentication any more, then this NAS storage is no longer accessible from my Mac now that I've upgraded to Catalina.

Mounting smb shares after upgrade to Catalina not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.