Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth keyboard layout / language in iOS & iPad OS

I have an apple bluetooth keyboard with Spanish layout but I usually type in English, Swedish and Spanish. I know I can change the input language using the Fn key or the ctrl + shift + space shortcut. My problem comes from the fact that iOS (& iPad OS) seems to not differentiate keyboard layout and input language. When I change to Swedish to get proper spell checking the keyboard layout changes as well and the symbols on the keyboard don’t match anymore with what gets typed. It has become a smaller issue since iOS recognizes the used language regardless of which keyboard you use, but it does not work as nicely. For example, when a word is misspelled, suggestions are presented in the current keyboard language. Also, in apps like pages, changing the keyboard language causes the whole document to be parsed by spellcheck again (marking my english documents as complete spelling mistakes when I set the spanish layout to type symbols).

Does anybody know a way around this? Or maybe where can we suggest this to Apple?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 9:04 AM

erpheus wrote:
My problem comes from the fact that iOS (& iPad OS) seems to not differentiate keyboard layout and input language.

I don't think that is true. When you go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge of the entry for Swedish, for example, you should be able to select Spanish ISO for the hardware layout, so you have Swedish spellcheck but Spanish keymapping.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 9:04 AM in response to erpheus

erpheus wrote:
My problem comes from the fact that iOS (& iPad OS) seems to not differentiate keyboard layout and input language.

I don't think that is true. When you go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge of the entry for Swedish, for example, you should be able to select Spanish ISO for the hardware layout, so you have Swedish spellcheck but Spanish keymapping.

Bluetooth keyboard layout / language in iOS & iPad OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.