Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth keyboard picks up different layout

Hello.

I have an external bluetooth keyboard (logitech) for my iPad Air. I also have installed a secondary keyboard language (Bulgarian) which has 2 layouts (Phonetic and Standard). The layout that I choose to use is Phonetic (which is the second on the list).

When I use my onscreen keyboard the correct layout is showing (Bulgarian Phonetic). But when I use my bluetooth keyboard the language used for writing is (Bulgarian Standard).

What I tried:

1. Re-Install Bulgarian Keyboard
  2. Re-Pair Bluetooth Keyboard (+ forget device)
  3. Change default layout to from Bulgarian Phonetic to Bulgarian Standard

Action number 3 works ok. It shows the Standard Layout in the onscreen keyboard and the bluetooth keyboard is also using this layout. Unfortunately, this is not my preferred layout and I do not want to use it. This experiment makes me think that the bluetooth keyboard always picks the first layout from the list of keyboards for a selected language.

It is a strange behavior for me because the keyboard was working correctly before couple of months. I guess it was an update which caused this issue.

I will be happy to hear you opinion!

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 12:15 PM

With the keyboard connected, just go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard an tap over that the right edge. Make sure that the choice which you have checked is the one for Phonetic (and NOT the one for "automatic" or "standard").

Similar questions

1 reply

Bluetooth keyboard picks up different layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.