Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After installing macOS Catalina my internal keyboard suddenly stops working.

Day one with Catalina, and the internal keyboard of my macbook pro 13" suddenly stops working. Nothing I type works. First time I tried to use the computer and the keyboard didn't work. I restarted, and it worked again. Later while writing an email on gmail the keyboard stopped working mid-word.

I connected an external keyboard and it works, still the internal one is not working. This is a bad workaround, I can't be carrying my external keyboard everywhere I go.

Hope someone can help me

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 5:14 AM

Update: it’s been a week now without incidents. Apparently, Karabiner, a program I use to change the comma on my external keyboard for a period (num pad) was causing the problem. I didn’t even uninstall it, just closed it and everything is fine now. A shame because I find it really useful, hoping an update on karabiner will fully solve the problem

Similar questions

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 5:14 AM in response to M.rangel

Update: it’s been a week now without incidents. Apparently, Karabiner, a program I use to change the comma on my external keyboard for a period (num pad) was causing the problem. I didn’t even uninstall it, just closed it and everything is fine now. A shame because I find it really useful, hoping an update on karabiner will fully solve the problem

Oct 8, 2019 3:13 PM in response to M.rangel

I suggest you use the program created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  It will provide a snapshot of your system which we can analyze to possibly determine the cause of your problem. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

Use the Add Text button to include the Etrecheck report in your reply.

Oct 21, 2019 8:56 AM in response to hisharadilshan

CleanMyMac is one of the worst pieces of software you can install on your Mac. Please do the following suggestion so that we can find out what damage it has done to your system.

I suggest you use the program created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  It will provide a snapshot of your system which we can analyze to possibly determine the cause of your problem. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

Use the Add Text button to include the Etrecheck report in your reply.

Nov 2, 2019 11:20 AM in response to cryocide

There are no known viruses for Macs. There is adware and malware but the antivirus apps aren't designed to look form then and often give false positives. They also hog system resources thus compromising system performance.

If you're concerned about adware or malware then the free version of Malwarebytes is what you'd want to use. It was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community.

All you have to do is search the Apple Support Communities for anti-virus or a particular app and you'll find time after time situations where the software was the center of the problem.

This is what you should know and do: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

Oct 10, 2019 8:31 AM in response to M.rangel

I have the same problem and know quite a few others that are also experiencing it.

When the system starts-up, close your laptop lid for a few minutes. Open it back up and the keyboard and trackpad will start working again. Very annoying, but not as bad as Apple's decision to move to ZSH for no reason other than to move from a shell that is well supported on nearly every environment to a boutique shell that may or may not be available on other systems.

Oct 15, 2019 9:27 PM in response to M.rangel

I am facing this annoying problem ... and I called the service more than 2 times and I have spoke with them for more than 1 hour each time without any solution ... and I should wait 2 days to go to apple service to solve this problem... what a shame to use Mac Pro latest version and I should wait 2 days to solve this problem... I am very upset with the service...

Oct 16, 2019 2:07 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Hello,

I'm a macbook pro early 2015 user, i got the catalina update few days ago, the update wasn't causing any issues on the first day and, later i installed CleanMyMac and did a little cleanup recommended by it. Then i removed it from mine by hitting only the delete key, next day the keyboard freezes at random times.

Then i downgraded to macos mojave but the issue still continues. Is there anything i can do to fix this issue...?

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2019 5:38 AM in response to M.rangel

I'm having keyboard issues as well on a 2014 Macbook Pro Retina and its internal keyboard. I'm getting seemingly random characters typed in when I'm typing, though it looks like it has something to do with me using the delete key. Any time I delete something to make a correction, it's like what I deleted might be injected later at random. I don't have any cleaning utilities installed, and the only software that I have that has requested access to the keyboard buffer was the Wacom tablet driver. I've denied that access request. I have no idea what else could be doing this.

After installing macOS Catalina my internal keyboard suddenly stops working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.