Question:

Question: OS X Catalina - Dock has disappeared

Just updated to Catalina with my iMac Pro 2017 & the dock has disappeared this morning. It was here last night after the update but nothing today.

It won't show again - anybody experiencing this too ?

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Thanks for your tip will try if I have the problem again.

In the meantime I found a solution, rebooted, kept my second monitor off - dock has reappeared.

So switched 2nd monitor on again and it stayed, so I'm good :)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 9, 2019 3:42 AM in response to Kool_12 In response to Kool_12

My dock also disappeared after reseting my PRAM, because my external Apple keyboard did not recognize cmd-button after Catalina upgrade.

This is how I got it(the Dock) back:

1. Open settings => Dock
  2. Change size of the Dock so it starts to flicker - it is there, but just do not show constantly
  3. Change hide/show option (yell, clap hands)
  4. Change Dock position on the screen randomly (look quickly right and left few times)
  5. Then Dock just started to work again - boom! No idea what happened, but it's here again:)

Oct 9, 2019 9:20 AM in response to Kool_12 In response to Kool_12

Ok, here's what worked for me: Apparently you must access your apps via Mission Control. However, you can set the trackpad to show the dock (Mission Control), along with all virtual desktops, by using 4-fingers up-swipe. Go to trackpad settings in System Preferences and set up Mission Control with up-swipe; then, you'll see the dock appear with a simple 4 finger up-swipe.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 9, 2019 3:05 AM in response to Kool_12 In response to Kool_12

I might be misunderstanding you but what your describe in your last post is exactly what should happen. When your cursor brings up the Dock you should click on the icon of the app you want to use. If you are using the Trackpad and tap on the icon with one finger, the programme will open. If you click with two fingers you get a menu to choose from. If you want to see the dock all the time you have to deselect the show/hide option by clicking on the blue check box to dismiss the check (or tick if you are British).

Oct 9, 2019 3:05 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 9, 2019 3:42 AM in response to Kool_12 In response to Kool_12

My dock also disappeared after reseting my PRAM, because my external Apple keyboard did not recognize cmd-button after Catalina upgrade.

This is how I got it(the Dock) back:

1. Open settings => Dock
  2. Change size of the Dock so it starts to flicker - it is there, but just do not show constantly
  3. Change hide/show option (yell, clap hands)
  4. Change Dock position on the screen randomly (look quickly right and left few times)
  5. Then Dock just started to work again - boom! No idea what happened, but it's here again:)

Oct 9, 2019 3:42 AM

Reply Helpful (8)
Question marked as Solved

Oct 9, 2019 3:49 AM in response to Jarmohi In response to Jarmohi

Thanks for your tip will try if I have the problem again.

In the meantime I found a solution, rebooted, kept my second monitor off - dock has reappeared.

So switched 2nd monitor on again and it stayed, so I'm good :)

Oct 9, 2019 3:49 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 9, 2019 8:16 AM in response to Kool_12 In response to Kool_12

I installed macOS Catalina (version 10.15) on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). Some time after an otherwise uneventful installation, I noticed the Dock had disappeared. A reboot did not help. In System Preferences, in Dock, the checkbox "Automatically hide and show the Dock" had been checked on, which was not my original preference. Unchecking the box did not help. Moving the Size slider made the Dock appear as the slider moved, but when I let go of the slider, the checkbox would check automatically itself back on.

FYI, I'm only using the single built-in monitor that is part of my iMac.

Oct 9, 2019 8:16 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Oct 9, 2019 9:20 AM in response to Kool_12 In response to Kool_12

Ok, here's what worked for me: Apparently you must access your apps via Mission Control. However, you can set the trackpad to show the dock (Mission Control), along with all virtual desktops, by using 4-fingers up-swipe. Go to trackpad settings in System Preferences and set up Mission Control with up-swipe; then, you'll see the dock appear with a simple 4 finger up-swipe.

Oct 9, 2019 9:20 AM

Reply Helpful (6)

Oct 9, 2019 9:49 AM in response to DF-From Ga. In response to DF-From Ga.

Hmmm. I just opened Mission Control on SysPref .... and it showed the upswipe.

I did that .... and went back to Dock .. and now it opens the way it used to..

again .. hmmm.

not sure what's different.

But Dock is now hiding and revealing...

THANKS ... for something. : )

Swood

Oct 9, 2019 9:49 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: Kool_12

Question: OS X Catalina - Dock has disappeared