Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Catalina - Dock has disappeared

Just updated to Catalina with my iMac Pro 2017 & the dock has disappeared this morning. It was here last night after the update but nothing today.

It won't show again - anybody experiencing this too ?

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 3:42 AM

My dock also disappeared after reseting my PRAM, because my external Apple keyboard did not recognize cmd-button after Catalina upgrade.

This is how I got it(the Dock) back:

1. Open settings => Dock
  2. Change size of the Dock so it starts to flicker - it is there, but just do not show constantly
  3. Change hide/show option (yell, clap hands)
  4. Change Dock position on the screen randomly (look quickly right and left few times)
  5. Then Dock just started to work again - boom! No idea what happened, but it's here again:)
151 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2019 3:42 AM in response to Kool_12

My dock also disappeared after reseting my PRAM, because my external Apple keyboard did not recognize cmd-button after Catalina upgrade.

This is how I got it(the Dock) back:

1. Open settings => Dock
  2. Change size of the Dock so it starts to flicker - it is there, but just do not show constantly
  3. Change hide/show option (yell, clap hands)
  4. Change Dock position on the screen randomly (look quickly right and left few times)
  5. Then Dock just started to work again - boom! No idea what happened, but it's here again:)

Oct 9, 2019 9:20 AM in response to Kool_12

Ok, here's what worked for me: Apparently you must access your apps via Mission Control. However, you can set the trackpad to show the dock (Mission Control), along with all virtual desktops, by using 4-fingers up-swipe. Go to trackpad settings in System Preferences and set up Mission Control with up-swipe; then, you'll see the dock appear with a simple 4 finger up-swipe.

Nov 2, 2019 6:28 PM in response to Kool_12

If you do not see the Dock, try this:

go to > Dock Settings:

• click on the Apple icon  (top left on your desktop menubar)
  • click on "System Preferences"
  • go to "Dock" Section

within the Dock Section:

• activate the checkbox "Automatically hide and show the Dock"
  • on the "Size" Option, click once on the "Range Slider Handler/Holder/Thumb" (not the scrollbar)

you can now switch the visibility of the Dock.

After that, you can "uncheck" > "Automatically hide and show the Dock" again.

"Range Slider Thumb" works like a "Button" to show or hide the Dock. I think it is a Bug(?).

Testet under macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Oct 11, 2019 12:21 AM in response to Kool_12

I had the same issue with my Thunderbolt display, however I didn't want to have to keep disconnecting it to boot so when searching for an alternative fix. After a bit of research, it seems that the dock preferences file is the issue and by deleting it and rebooting Catalina will rebuild the file from scratch as if it was a brand new install.

Yes, you then need to setup your dock to your preferences and favourites in the dock, but better than having to remember to unplug the monitor when you boot up. Here's the step by step guide I used:

• Go to Finder
  • Press and hold the Option key down and click “Go” menu in the Finder menu bar
  • Click Library
  • Open the Preferences folder
  • Find the file named com.apple.dock.plist and delete the file / move to Trash (note, I had an additional com.apple.dock.plist.NSADJK file, I deleted this as well)
  • And restart your computer
  • Rebuild your dock favourites and preferences

Hope that helps, seems to have permanently solved my issue.

Oct 27, 2019 4:39 AM in response to Kool_12

This happened to me too. I tried recommended fixes I found on DDG but none of them worked. After some trial and error I found this solution worked permanently.

1. Got to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Launchpad & Dock
  2. Turn off 'Turn Dock Hiding On/Off'
  3. Go to System Preferences > Dock
  4. Untick 'Automatically hide and the show Dock'

If this does not solve the issue, leave the amended settings as they are and restart your computer.

If this does not work, then go back to Systems Preferences and reset the settings above as they were making any changes. Then restart and make the same changes listed above but in this order:

1. Go to System Preferences > Dock
  2. Untick 'Automatically hide and the show Dock'
  3. Got to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Launchpad & Dock
  4. Turn off 'Turn Dock Hiding On/Off'

Oct 9, 2019 3:05 AM in response to Kool_12

I might be misunderstanding you but what your describe in your last post is exactly what should happen. When your cursor brings up the Dock you should click on the icon of the app you want to use. If you are using the Trackpad and tap on the icon with one finger, the programme will open. If you click with two fingers you get a menu to choose from. If you want to see the dock all the time you have to deselect the show/hide option by clicking on the blue check box to dismiss the check (or tick if you are British).

Oct 9, 2019 8:16 AM in response to Kool_12

I installed macOS Catalina (version 10.15) on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). Some time after an otherwise uneventful installation, I noticed the Dock had disappeared. A reboot did not help. In System Preferences, in Dock, the checkbox "Automatically hide and show the Dock" had been checked on, which was not my original preference. Unchecking the box did not help. Moving the Size slider made the Dock appear as the slider moved, but when I let go of the slider, the checkbox would check automatically itself back on.

FYI, I'm only using the single built-in monitor that is part of my iMac.

Oct 9, 2019 7:55 PM in response to Kool_12

Had the same problems with the missing dock in catalina. Tried all the mentioned solutions... nothing worked! Got angry and went on line to download a dock alternative. Found uBar. Downloaded and installed easy with 14 day trial... worked very well. Note this is not an ad, I have no affiliation with uBar. I put it where I always kept the dock. When I went to use the new dock, the old dock reappeared. Went to preferences and mage sure I unchecked auto hide again on the mac dock It now works fine. Guess I scared it. I’ll decide in 13 days if I want to buy uBar.

Oct 10, 2019 7:52 AM in response to UTD_Rodolfo

Here's how I fixed the problem on my particular configuration — macOS Catalina (version 10.v5) on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) with a single, built-in monitor:

First, I rebooted the machine. Then I opened Disk Utility, selected the First Aid button and followed the prompts until it finished its work. Finally, in System Preferences, in Dock, I once again unchecked the "Automatically hide and show the Dock" checkbox. This time, the change persisted; Everything is back to normal.

Thanks to everyone who suggested possible solutions.

OS X Catalina - Dock has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.