Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina support for Canon 32-bit printer drivers

Apple seems to have been including Canon printer drivers scanner support through macOS10.14.6 Mojave. Will macOS10.15 Catalina continue support Canon printer/scanners with the 32-bit print drivers? If not, does anyone know a work around? My printer is a Canon Pixma TS6220 and was purchased less than 6 months ago.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 7:51 AM

Just spoke to Canon who said that Apple has been taking care of Canon printer drivers themselves and suggests that Apple is responsible for creating the 64-bit support for Canon products and including it in mac OS10.15 Catalina. I am hoping to hear from someone who has upgraded to Catalina and successfully printed with a Pixma TS6220. Printing capability is an essential part of my operation and will not upgrade to Catalina until I get verification.

108 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2019 7:51 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Just spoke to Canon who said that Apple has been taking care of Canon printer drivers themselves and suggests that Apple is responsible for creating the 64-bit support for Canon products and including it in mac OS10.15 Catalina. I am hoping to hear from someone who has upgraded to Catalina and successfully printed with a Pixma TS6220. Printing capability is an essential part of my operation and will not upgrade to Catalina until I get verification.

Oct 9, 2019 8:22 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

There's a difference between drivers and other peripheral software. Drivers for printers are written by Apple, have been for a very long time. Apple's specification has made it so compatible printers are made to talk with Macs directly without the need of external drivers.

The specific Canon software like the scanner software or image editing application it may come with are not made by Apple. Its up to Canon to update those.

The printer will still work on Catalina normally , but the included Canon 32 bit software will not.

You can use Apple's own Image Capture or Preview to scan documents if the Canon software is not updated.

Oct 9, 2019 7:52 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Oct 10, 2019 4:24 AM in response to attymere

I have the same problem with a PIXMA TS8051 (3 years old I think) - as above printing works fine, scan does not work following upgrade to Catalina (scan does not work with Canon IJ Scan Utility or the Apple Image Capture app - says a file is missing - I have tried re-installing to no avail). I have an old windows PC which I now need to use to scan (would rather not switch it on - but needs must!)

Oct 10, 2019 5:20 AM in response to geturdone

I sincerely hope that people with Canon printers with scanners and other Canon software still using 32-bit applications call them today to complain about their lack of action. They were aware that Apple was making these changes and they should have updated to 64-bit applications prior to Apple's release of Catalina. Canon support 1-800-652-2666 8am -8pm ET

Oct 10, 2019 6:59 AM in response to geturdone

My old Samsung MFP (now bought by HP) didn't work under Catalina, and I read from the printer website that no new drivers were being developed or released.. Today I bought a brand new Canon MF645CX, which they assured me in the shop would work with Catalina

In a way, it does, kind of... I can basic print and scan, using Apple provided drivers, but I *cannot* install the printer/scanner software provided to use the more advanced features of this printer. I'm just hoping (and have been in touch with Canon support) that they will release 64bit versions of their software (which they should, since this is a relatively new model.)

Oct 10, 2019 7:49 AM in response to geturdone

After speaking with Canon technical support today I was given the vague answer that many af the 32-bits apps will be available as 64-bit apps in a couple of weeks. The vague response included the caveat that the older products' support apps would not be upgraded to 64-bit. The criteria used or specific models included to determine which products will get 64-bit upgrades was not available. I have decided not to install Catalina until these issues as well as issues concerning Canon camera support apps have been settled.

Oct 10, 2019 7:58 AM in response to geturdone

Apple has historically been a consolidator of vendor printer drivers, only after the vendors provided Apple with those drivers. But few vendors appear to be doing this any longer, as many of those vendor specific downloads that Apple hosts have not been updated since 2017. Even if Apple were still performing this service, it is Canon, not Apple that is the source of 64-bit Canon printer drivers, and the person at Canon just zoomed you with BS to get you off the phone.

Oct 10, 2019 8:06 AM in response to rreinhardt93

Canon UK says officially that the MG5200 series is not compatible with Mojave or Catalina (and here are our new printers which are...). However, since my printer worked with Mojave (ex-duplex printing, which I still haven't figured out) I upgraded to Catalina - and it still works - and scans - though it does give a warning message - just persevere.

Oct 10, 2019 8:30 AM in response to geturdone

Catalina only supports 64bit now. Nothing that is 32 will run on Catalina. And a quick look at Cannon site, appears to show they do not have a 64bit driver. Had the same problem with Brother drivers. But Brother has now put out a 64bit for Mac as they have had for PC for some time now. Although I had no access to Brother software because it was 32bit I could still print using Mac generic drivers. Just had no control centre. But could still print. You will have to contact Canon support to see when they will release a 64bit driver package for Mac.

Oct 10, 2019 3:32 PM in response to desronto

I installed OS Catalina and my Canon Scanner LiDE 210 would open with Canon software and would scan one page and then give error message on the second page to reinstall driver. Went to Canon Website and they do not have drive for OS-Catalina. I WAS ABLE TO SCAN by going to system preferences / printers and scanners / and opening the scanner. A generic pop up program popped up and I was able to scan a 6 page document and save it as a PFD or JPEG (my choice).

Buck

Oct 10, 2019 7:14 PM in response to VikingOSX

Are you trying to be helpful or disagreeable? I spoke to the an Apple Tech who told me almost word for word what the Canon Tech said. Canon in their non-committal corporate way admits they have to update their support apps to 64-bit. These appps would include advance printer and scanning options. However the printer protocols and drivers have become standardized so that Apple includes the basic drivers for most printers. This would be consistant with the comments in this thread.

Catalina support for Canon 32-bit printer drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.