Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading Media in Catalina - Issues

So downloaded Catalina ok and went through the usual bugs with Apple ID for a few hours.

However, I tried to download a purchased movie to my default media location (on an external volume) but the download failed [unknown error - 11800].

So I downloaded the movie on my Macbook and tried to take it across to my Mac with an external disc - moved the file ok. However, after moving the file into my Media folder tried to "add the file" but that option has gone. The import option did nothing either.

Can anyone help? Also the HLS format v MPEG-4 file change baffles me.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 9:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 3:26 PM

I've spent countless hours trying to solve this -11800 since I upgraded to Catalina. And I also download to an external volume.

The error appears to occur on a move that has Dolby Atmos - at least that it was I'm trying to narrow it down to. Older movies wit just Dolby Vision download without the -11800.

To resolve, I went under TV, Preferences. Under the Playback tab, I unchecked "Download Multichannel Audio". Now I am all to download without the -11800.

The file size seems to be the same as a file downloaded from an older laptop running pre-Catalina. Also, in the TV app, the file still appears to have Dolby Atmos.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2019 3:26 PM in response to ChrisH-UK

I've spent countless hours trying to solve this -11800 since I upgraded to Catalina. And I also download to an external volume.

The error appears to occur on a move that has Dolby Atmos - at least that it was I'm trying to narrow it down to. Older movies wit just Dolby Vision download without the -11800.

To resolve, I went under TV, Preferences. Under the Playback tab, I unchecked "Download Multichannel Audio". Now I am all to download without the -11800.

The file size seems to be the same as a file downloaded from an older laptop running pre-Catalina. Also, in the TV app, the file still appears to have Dolby Atmos.

Hope this helps!

Oct 16, 2019 2:19 AM in response to Pravien

Thanks Pravlen. Worked for me also! Now stuck with content not being able to be played on Apple TV (I've got 3 and it doesn't work on any of them but plays fine on my Mac). Looked through solutions such as turning off the Quick Start and have reset all three boxes but not luck at all. Note that there's been a Catalina update this morning so will try again when I get in tonight.

Downloading Media in Catalina - Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.