Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail slow to update in iOS 13

I have a brand new iPhone 11 Pro. It is updated to the latest iOS 13 update. I will get notifications and badges for mail saying that I have new mail but when I go into the mail app there is nothing there. It can take 5-8 seconds for the new mail to show up or I have to manually refresh it to get the new mail to show up.

This only started happening after updating to iOS 13 which I did on an iPhone Xs before updating to the 11 Pro and it was doing the same thing on the Xs.

This is really annoying and a time suck. If I see I have new mail, I want to read it right away not wait for it to download. If I get the notification, it should have downloaded in the background first. This is 2019 after all.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 12:50 AM

Hi. Can recommend you a few:

1. Spark (https://apps.apple.com/app/id997102246);
  2. Gmail (https://apps.apple.com/app/id422689480);
  3. Outlook (https://apps.apple.com/app/id951937596).

These are the best I know. You can add any mailboxes to these clients (not just @gmail.com in Gmail, for example) and each of them have some special features (Spark has the most). Check them out, I'm pretty sure you'd live them :)

297 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2019 12:50 AM in response to Ian-Norway

Hi. Can recommend you a few:

1. Spark (https://apps.apple.com/app/id997102246);
  2. Gmail (https://apps.apple.com/app/id422689480);
  3. Outlook (https://apps.apple.com/app/id951937596).

These are the best I know. You can add any mailboxes to these clients (not just @gmail.com in Gmail, for example) and each of them have some special features (Spark has the most). Check them out, I'm pretty sure you'd live them :)

Oct 18, 2019 12:06 PM in response to Scott Raymond

I have an XS and have been experiencing the exact same problem with all releases of iOS 13. This is incredibly frustrating and time consuming. What will it take to bring this to Apple’s attention so that it is addressed?

To be specific, I think there are two separate situations. One is where I receive an audible notification of new email but no new messages appear in my ‘all inboxes’ view. I have found that by navigating to the inbox of a particular email account, for example Gmail, and then back to the ‘all inboxes’ view, the newly revived messages will then appear.

The other situation is where I can clearly see new messages in my inbox but when I click on one of them, the message content/body does not appear (ie it’s blank). I have not yet identified repeatable steps / workaround to make the message body appear but once enough time has lapsed, it appears.

Not acceptable...

Oct 23, 2019 5:48 AM in response to Scott Raymond

+1 for the having the exact same issue as original post. I've tried removing the mail app and reinstalling, flipping the mail accounts off/on, and changing the mail view settings (thinking maybe my legacy thread settings are slowing it down). Nothing works. This is a huge problem as I can't rely on Apple Mail with iOS 13. Not sure what to do here.

Nov 8, 2019 11:29 AM in response to Scott Raymond

FYI, everyone:

A. I have spoken with Apple Tech Support about these issues. They are aware of them and hope to fix Mail soon.

B. There are two stop-gap solutions:

1. Most (or everyone?) with this problem are experiencing unusable Mail when going to All Inboxes. If you choose just one e-mail account Inbox at a time, the Mail app works perfectly well, or close to it.

2. Use Outlook, which is a fantastic e-mail app. :)

Nov 28, 2019 11:49 AM in response to 88keysdavid

@88

a few questions if you don’t mind since I’m contemplating what you’ve done.

1. can Apple mail and outlook coexist while both receiving iCloud mail
  2. were you using iCloud mail or something else like gmail
  3. if you left both Apple mail and outlook signed in did they both push to your phone or did you have to set one to fetch
  4. finally, I assume you created an app specific password when you signed outlook into your iCloud account.

Dec 18, 2019 9:55 AM in response to scott2997

Another couple of hints I am seeing...

1. When I see badge notifications and open email, it takes +/- 10 seconds for the new messages to appear when I open iOS mail. If I click on the filter button at the bottom left side of the screen, the messages appear instantly. Navigating back to the unfiltered view provides visibility to all messages including the new unread messages...
  2. I was on an airplane last week and checked my phone for mail after we took off and I had already initiated airplane mode. Again, the badge icon indicated I had 3 unread messages. When I opened the iOS mail app there were no new messages. I then clicked on the filter button and poof... 3 new readable messages. When I clicked on the filter button again, I returned to my full list of messages including the new unread email messages.

There is clearly something amiss somewhere between iOS and the mail app. The messages are clearly downloading without issue as they were present and available even in airplane mode but not visible in the app until I applied the filter. One test that would have been interesting would have been to see if the messages appeared if I waited the requisite 10 seconds without applying the filter button... I will try to remember that next time I am flying.

Oct 20, 2019 6:13 PM in response to Scott Raymond

It is working a little better for me now. I went into the notification settings and toggled everything off and then back on. I also went into the settings for my iCloud email and changed it from push to fetch and then back to push and it is acting a little more normal. Still slightly slow at showing all of my email but at least I don’t have to pull down to refresh and wait for them all to come in.

Oct 21, 2019 12:47 PM in response to RichMend

Same issue on my XS Max... 12 was so much better. Email in ios13 is horrible. I have the same issues and my work forces me to use Apple’s email app. The background refresh doesn’t work.. so notifications don’t work... so my Apple Watch is now useless as I monitor VIP emails via notifications. Totally broken now.

Apple, please fix this! This kind of irritation is totally unacceptable. I’m stuck with your devices that don’t work.... I’m a very angry customer who may need to switch to Android hardware just to get something that works.

please fix this!!!

mail slow to update in iOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.