Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cover page can not be displayed

After I updated my MacBook Pro system to Catalina , I used it to synchronize my epub books with my iPhone , But the cover page of each book can not be displayed in the apple book app for iOS 13.1.2.

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 9:37 AM

All the "fixes" being proposed here only work if your library is tiny.

I have over 10 000 pdfs and epubs combined. Airdropping or moving them to other directories to import them one by one is absolutely not an option. This is a FUNDAMENTAL issue with Apple Books. Apple will neither respond to any of this nor will they ever bother to fix it. They want us to buy from their ecosystem. Sideloading books from other sources doesn't give them any revenue, so we are quite out of luck. If you doubt this, look at the mess they've made with iTunes and the "new" music app.

Everything in it is geared towards streaming from THEIR services. As much as it pains me, I believe it's time to get off iTunes Match. Dump Apple Books and iCloud Drive. It's time for new non Apple solutions. I really hate to have to go that route but they are pushing us all in a direction that I just don't want to go.

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 9:37 AM in response to Galakrond

All the "fixes" being proposed here only work if your library is tiny.

I have over 10 000 pdfs and epubs combined. Airdropping or moving them to other directories to import them one by one is absolutely not an option. This is a FUNDAMENTAL issue with Apple Books. Apple will neither respond to any of this nor will they ever bother to fix it. They want us to buy from their ecosystem. Sideloading books from other sources doesn't give them any revenue, so we are quite out of luck. If you doubt this, look at the mess they've made with iTunes and the "new" music app.

Everything in it is geared towards streaming from THEIR services. As much as it pains me, I believe it's time to get off iTunes Match. Dump Apple Books and iCloud Drive. It's time for new non Apple solutions. I really hate to have to go that route but they are pushing us all in a direction that I just don't want to go.

Oct 12, 2019 8:01 AM in response to coverpage

Today I found a method to resolve this issue .

First, on the MacBook ,create a folder in iCloud drive and copy all the epub ebooks into this folder .

Then , use iPhone  tap “File” and find the folder which was created just now . 

Open that folder and tap the epub files, the ebook will be opened by iBooks app . When the ebook was opened , the cover page can be displayed correctly on iPhone . At the same time , the ebook can be synchronized with MacBook iBook app , and the cover page can be displayed correctly too on the Mackbook.

It seems that epub ebooks can be synchronized correctly from iPhone to MacBook , but incorrect from MacBook to iPhone , maybe this is a bug of macOS Catalina.

Nov 29, 2019 9:45 AM in response to coverpage

I found an easy solution...

However, it requires macOS High Sierra. It may work with macOS Mojave, too.

1. In the Terminal copy and paste... open ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/iCloud\~com\~apple\~iBooks/Documents/
  2. Create a new folder on the Desktop.
  3. Drag all your books and PDF documents from the iCloud Books folder to the new folder.
  4. Wait for all your books and PDF files to disappear from your iPhone.
  5. Drag all your books and PDF documents from the new folder back to the iCloud Books folder.

If iCloud doesn't begin uploading, try restarting your Mac. Patience is key... it may take a while for all your books to reappear. When they do, each one will have a book cover.

Nov 23, 2019 7:04 PM in response to petergi

Yes , It is really a hard work if you have so many books to import and sync. When I found the issue , the books I had imported to iCloud before were displayed correctly on both my MacBook pro and iPhone , only the new epub files I need to import and sync have the problem.

I think Apple should fix the issue as soon as possible .

Dec 27, 2019 3:35 PM in response to coverpage

Along the same lines as @coverpage's solution, here is a way to add several books at the same time.

1) Make sure the books are deleted from iCloud "everwhere". (Either from your Mac or iPad)

2) On your Mac, select the books you wish to add from a file folder and send them to your iPad with Airdrop.

3) On the iPad, when the Airdrop selection appears, pick Books. Voilà, covers appear on both iPad and Mac.

You can then go back to book on your Mac to arrange them into Collections if you wish.

I just did it with a few dozen titles at once. As a workaround, it works.

Let's hope Apple gives us a real fix in the not too distant future...

Dec 30, 2019 8:39 PM in response to Wills1971

They never will. There’s no reason to do it. Just to make us happy isn’t good enough a reason for them to spend the time and effort. Also they are trying really really hard to transition into services, but keep stumbling. So why bother? Stuff we buy from them will load just fine. It’s stuff from other sources that won’t work. So, the math is very simple.

Jan 1, 2020 4:11 PM in response to coverpage

Don't misunderstand me. I am NOT saying they did this on purpose. I do believe it's a bug. But it's been around for so long that it's easy to see that they ARE NOT in any hurry to address it. And as I've said before, there is no real incentive to do so. Except for a handful of us whining about it. Hardly a priority...

Jan 6, 2020 12:53 PM in response to coverpage

Thank you guys for the solution (remove the problematic books from the cloud, save originals on the Mac and copy via airdrop to iPad). But, to add something to the discussion about Apple and their motivation to solve this problem: the principal issue I had was that the books I made in iBooks Author missed the cover art on the iPad (they were showing on iPhone en Mac). So, here we are talking about books that are made with Apple software and are meant to be used on iPad that don't sync as they should. No external parties or interests, just Apple. So where is the solution, dear Apple?

Feb 7, 2020 12:08 AM in response to LISA-NY

It is really a hard work to import more than 2000 books into the Apple books app and it is hard to read them all either. But , if we think different, books are used to be read not to be stored. We can import 5-10 books once before read them , when finished , import 5-10 more again.

It is helpful for us to focus on the books what we are going to read instead of browsing with thousands of books to pick up the book you want to read.

Other books which we do not read soon , put them in computer or hard disk.

Cover page can not be displayed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.