Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync Settings - no Artist when Albums tab is selected

I just upgraded to Catalina, and am walking through the new Music app. Unfortunately, I'm running into an issue when viewing my iPhone location and selecting 'Music'. On iTunes, I used to hand-select my music by Album, but unfortunately when I select the 'Albums' tab, all I see are albums without an associated column for artist.

This is a terrible customer experience, as there's no way for me to sort this list by Artist. Am I missing something? I don't want to sync music by artist, as it would be rare for me to want the entire catalog of an artist at a time on my iPhone. It seems like a gross oversight not to include the ability to pick through a sorted artists catalog for music to sync to your device.

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 11:05 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 17, 2019 1:58 PM in response to clutch10

Use Product Feedback - Apple to let Apple know what you want.

I'm using Apple Music these days, but I used to have a single main playlist for each of my family's devices, and sometimes the odd smart playlist to rotate a bit of content automatically. I'd use a regular playlist for the main list and a smart playlist that showed what wasn't in the main list. A simple matter to scan through that list looking for anything crying out to be included, or take requests from family members for what needed adding to theirs. I could manage what was going to go onto each device without connecting it first, and restore the state of it if needed without having to recall all of the individual selections.

tt2

Oct 17, 2019 1:06 PM in response to turingtest2

I agree that the Genre and Artist selection boxes were a waste, and I never used them. But I exclusively used the Albums selection box to curate the music on my iPhone. I use Playlists for mixes only; having to create even more Playlists to add specific Artists or Albums would be an even bigger time-sink. I'd rather just be able to add the albums I want, a la carte, the way I used to be able to.

The bottom line is, offering an Albums selection box with no Artist context, makes absolutely no sense.

Sync Settings - no Artist when Albums tab is selected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.