Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Performance Issue on Mackbook air after OS update

I did the latest OS 10.15 update and after that I have extremely poor performance, my MacBook has become very slow, its takes forever to login on and load the desktop, switching between users is painful its like I am using the windows laptop all over again :(

I checked there are no programs that are running in background, I still have 70GB of free disc space. Cleared temp files, cache but its just very very slow. Even the initial boot up takes very long time, earlier my MacBook used to boot within 10-12 secs but now its just like watching windows to load.

Not happy with the new update and not sure if apple will help

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 2:58 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 15, 2019 3:28 PM in response to kisnahp

Hello kisnahp,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you have some concerns with the performance of your MacBook Air after upgrading to macOS Catalina. It's also taking longer for your Mac to start up, and to switch between user accounts. I would be happy to help provide steps to take so your Mac is running at peak performance again.

To help us further isolate potential causes of this behavior, I would like to have you check the following:

1. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault. Do you see an indication that FileVault is currently encrypting your drive?
  2. When the Mac performs slowly after you have logged in, what does your CPU activity look like? See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support
  3. Let's also restart your Mac in macOS recovery, then run First Aid on your startup disk: Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support
  4. Next, restart the Mac in safe mode and test if there's a change in performance: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

Oct 19, 2019 8:21 AM in response to sterling r

Hi sterling r,

Thank you for you response.

I tried the above mentioned steps and I am sorry to say I still have the same poor performance issues only now it keeps getting worse. Booting to desktop and switching between user accounts is so painful that I cannot even explain.

Below are my response for your suggestions and I have attached the screenshots for your reference.

1. FileVault - Off
  2. I Checked the Activity monitor but could not derive much; please refer to screenshots
  3. Ran First Aid, it was sucessful
  4. I tried the safe mode but the system so slow (slower then normal mode) that I could not do much

I hope the above answers are helpful for you diagnose further. Please do let me know what you think and what can be done to make my MacBook air as smooth as earlier PLEASE.

Oct 27, 2019 12:52 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I have removed the unwanted applications, VLC, Skype, CCLeaner.

I don't have VM application just a folder which I am not able to delete (not sure why)

I tried using Safari but at times it doesn't even open any youtube videos or pages hence I am forced to use Google Chrome.

I started facing problems only after I upgraded to latest OS, prior to that there were absolutely no issues.

Also, how do I which are 32 bit applications that I need to relook at because EtreCheck doesn't give the name.

Thanks

Oct 24, 2019 9:33 AM in response to kisnahp

Here are some observations/suggestions, based on the EtreCheck report:

1. Your notebook is RAM limited. 8 GB is apparently not enough to run multiple applications that you are using simultaneously. You can tell this by looking at the "Virtual Memory Information" section of the report. Notice that the "Swap Used" is not zero. That means, that your notebook is using some of its drive space to temporarily store applications in use. This will slow down their performance. Suggestion: Either upgrade the amount of RAM or do not run as many apps concurrently.
  2. Google apps, like Chrome, tend to be memory "hogs." If you like using Chrome vs. Safari, I suggest that you try the Opera browser. It is built on the same Chromium engine, but does not come with the memory overhead that Chrome does.
  3. Completely remove CCleaner. "Cleaner" apps are not required by macOS. They tend to cause more issues than solve them.
  4. If you are running a VM manager ... looks like you use Virtual Box, know that it requires a fair amount of RAM to provide to a VM. Again, with your notebook's limited amount of RAM, when running a VM, there will be a significant performance hit.
  5. Unless you really need them, remove any remote access apps: MeetingJoin, WebEx, etc.
  6. Are you using a Bluetooth audio device? Headset, speakers, etc.? If so, when you ran the report, it was using a considerable amount of available CPU processing.
  7. Finally the Diagnostics section indicates that, again, Bluetooth processing is causing high CPU usage. Your notebook also experienced a crash of the VLC app.

Oct 30, 2019 6:58 PM in response to kisnahp

You can determine which apps on your Mac are 32-bit by doing the following:

1. Hold down the <option> key, and then, click on the Apple logo on the macOS menubar.
  2. Select "System Information."
  3. In the left-pane, select "Applications" under the "Software" category.
  4. It will take a minute or so for each of the apps on your Mac to be listed.
  5. Select an app, and then, look at the value for "Kind." It will either be 64- or 32-bit.

Performance Issue on Mackbook air after OS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.