Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Nano podcast app catalina

So I have updated to Catalina. My iPod nano show up on Apple Music but NOT Apple Podcasts.

I have reset the iPod etc. and still no luck. Advice?

iPod nano (7th Gen)

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 6:32 AM

27 replies

Oct 16, 2019 7:11 PM in response to MonsieurMarron

Hey there MonsieurMarron,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having issues syncing podcast to your iPod nano in macOS Catalina. I’ll be happy to help with this.

You’ll want to use Finder to sync Podcast to your iPod from your computer. Take a look at this article for more info: 

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

Cheers 

Nov 5, 2019 10:41 PM in response to jlarsp

It works for me only with Music App. Only there I can see my iPods content. There click on Sync settings (top, right corner). Now you are in finder and see the options of the iPod.

How manually copy podcasts to the iPod Nano? I don't know, but (auto) sync can be configured here.

See also: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250736083?answerId=250736083021#250736083021

Nov 27, 2019 6:20 PM in response to MonsieurMarron

I called the customer service and the problem solved!

Catalina does not connect the apple ID to the new podcasts system.

The new system does not work well with the old system.

So you need to

1. erase your all podcasts episodes in your iPod nano
  2. sign out from podcasts and iClouds
  3. restart Mac and type your apple ID again

You don't have to erase your podcasts episodes in your Podcasts icon in your Mac.

I listen to Podcasts on my old small iPod nano and have been stressed out since two months.

so I am happy to listen new episodes again.

Good luck!

Nov 1, 2019 12:36 PM in response to Emhsee

I have the same problem; the nano shows up in the finder, and even all the new finder options show up, and when I click sync, the little wheel spins showing that it is syncing. But no played podcasts come off the ipod, and no new podcast episodes are copied to it. If the podcast app on the iphone synced and worked in a reasonable way, that would be fine, but it is useless too. Maybe apple is telling me it's time to end my podcast addiction and start reading books.

Nov 7, 2019 9:06 PM in response to MonsieurMarron

I have a similar problem with syncing Catalina Podcasts to my iPod nano (6th gen). I have managed to successfully sync some individual episodes to the iPod from my Mac, but the podcast stations that I define don't show up on the iPod at all. I don't even think that there is a location on the iPod for "stations" since this is something new (AFAIK) with Catalina.

I really love my clip-on iPod (I have 3!) and create a playlist of podcasts in the old iTunes application every single day, and then sync the playlist to the iPod so I can listen to the whole set of podcast episodes together. The new "station" feature in the Catalina Podcast application appeared to be a good substitute for a podcast playlist, except that it doesn't sync out to the iPod! Would it be too much to expect a software update to the iPod so that it could support podcast stations? (I know, I'm always an optimist)

Nov 26, 2019 2:37 PM in response to MVJMOM

Mine is the last ipod version sold.

It shows up on both 'podcast app' and 'music' but when i sync both the music and podcast show up under music - songs.

They are intermingled with the songs.

The learning curve was a little steeper than I expected as you have to select music in the 'music app' and the podcasts in that app "I think". They will show in the Finder when connected. Yes mind had the spinner as well but dont remember what I did to fix it.

Nov 27, 2019 10:05 PM in response to keitax

Keitax,

I tried to follow your suggestion but my iPod Nano still doesn't recognise the difference between podcasts and songs, also still doesn't remember at what point I stopped a podcast, still changes what podcast I want synced from 'All unplayed' to 'All podcasts' about every 5th time I sync it. This is on top of all the other issues with Catalina , like unable to connect to wifi at work or to public networks.

Apple seems too busy selling new Macbook Pros, and Airpod Pros and not enough time making sure they debug this HORRIBLE iOS. Imagine the gleeful comments from Mac users if this had been a Windows update...

Apple should do better and show they care about loyal customers!!!

Dec 6, 2019 6:05 AM in response to ICUguru

Yeah, I haven't figured out how to sync new podcasts to a nano either. I did finally get my iphone xs to sync music in Catalina. Had to sign out of icloud EVERYWHERE--not just in system preferences but in each app. And had to do it about three times, and restart everything, and it finally syncs. It had to resync everything, so it took awhile the first time to sync the 100GB of music, but not syncing minor changes seems pretty quick. All pretty frustrating nonetheless. It shouldn't take this long for a new OS to work properly. The last few years it does seem like Apple doesn't have actual users test a new OS before releasing it.

Dec 8, 2019 5:15 PM in response to Masterbear

Hello Masterbear,

Sorry! Now I have the same problem again! I called the apple support again today, but they couldn't solve this problem.

Since Catalina, my iPod nano had worked only between Nov 28 and Dec 9.

Today my iPod nano doesn't get any new episodes.

It gets only some old episodes in November. Very strange and frustrating.

I hate Catalina!

Apple support (Japan) can't help this problem anymore.

I really liked this small iPod nano, but it is time to buy a new one.

I agree! Apple should do better and show they care about loyal customers!

Dec 9, 2019 6:06 AM in response to ICUguru

Not to mention that they don't actually make ipods any longer, so buying a new ipod isn't an option. I've finally made the move to listening to podcasts on my iphone. It's an adjustment, but it's working. The point is, with Apple, it used to be--as a one time ad campaign declared--"it just works." It was never as true as the ads claimed, but it was in comparison to windows products. Sadly, it no longer is anything close to true when Apple puts out a new OS. They really need to spend a little more time in house getting things ready for release. With the next OS update, I'll be a very late adopter, sad to say.

Dec 25, 2019 2:50 PM in response to sparksgalore

Sparksgalore, yes, USG was a typo! I meant USB.

I used auto sync and I was able to see and sync the nano in Finder. It was not visible in Podcasts at all; it was visible in Music but couldn’t be synced from there.

Also, the last time I synced, by rebooting my MacBook, the nano “remembered” where I interrupted the podcast. That is, if I stopped listening and wanted to resume later, I was able to pick up from where I stopped rather than the podcast restarting from the beginning.

iPod Nano podcast app catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.