Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The requested version of macOS is not available catalina

I tried both App Store and through System Preferences... same result: Catalina update cannot be found.

I am running MacOS Mojave on a 2016 MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 6:12 AM

I struggled with this for a few days and found the solution.

Put the device in to internet recovery. First, shutdown the computer and immediately after pressing the power button to turn it back on, press and hold Option + Command + R keys until you see a spinning globe. This will install Catalina over your Mojave, retaining all of your data and apps.

You can also use this article as your reference with regards to this --> How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery.

Simples.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2019 6:12 AM in response to TLSFO

I struggled with this for a few days and found the solution.

Put the device in to internet recovery. First, shutdown the computer and immediately after pressing the power button to turn it back on, press and hold Option + Command + R keys until you see a spinning globe. This will install Catalina over your Mojave, retaining all of your data and apps.

You can also use this article as your reference with regards to this --> How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery.

Simples.

Oct 17, 2019 10:40 PM in response to TLSFO

So, you're saying that when you type "Catalina" in the search block of the App Store app, you don't see this:

Software Update is for Updates, not Upgrades. There are no new updates for Mojave, 10.14.6 was the last update.

Upgrades to a new MacOS have to be downloaded from the App Store App.

You can also get it by using the Apple web site: macOS Catalina - Apple

Nov 15, 2019 11:18 AM in response to hama224

Lots of people have found that doing a System Restore as detailed in a previous post works - see below. It worked for me:

‘Put the device in to internet recovery. First, shutdown the computer and immediately after pressing the power button to turn it back on, press and hold Option + Command + R keys until you see a spinning globe. This will install Catalina over your Mojave, retaining all of your data and apps.

You can also use this article as your reference with regards to this --> How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery.’

Oct 14, 2019 6:09 AM in response to TLSFO

I have the same issue. iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015). 921GB of disk space free.

Software update shows a red '1' but when checking for an update it says 'Your Mac is up to date - macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103)'.

App Store tries to find update but returns the message: 'The requested version of MacOS is not available.'

Have already updated a 2014 iMac and 2012 MacBook Air without issues.

Oct 14, 2019 7:23 AM in response to TLSFO

The same problem with me on a mac book pro early 2015. I installed successfuly on a late 2013 iMac. On mac book pro says that my system is up to date Mojave 10.14.6 (system preferences- software update) and on App Store , when to get mac os Catalina after few secs it say the requested version is not available!

Oct 17, 2019 10:38 PM in response to Lanny

No, I don t see that. Is Get... And now, from my Mac book pro, if I want to download the Catalina from App Store, il let me doing this. In the past, when I wanted to make the update to Catalina, it showed the requested version of macOs is not available. Just make a bootable installer with install Disk Creator, make a clean install and I say that you will solve the problem.

Oct 28, 2019 7:43 PM in response to TLSFO

1.When I click Software update through System Preferences and App store. It pop up "Update not found ...The requested version of macOS is not available".

2.Software Update just show "Your Mac is up to date-macOS Mojave 10.14.6"

3.I also request an update as well from the terminal. It appears

"Finding available software

No new software available. "

Please tell me what should I do.

My mac is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with now OS, macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Thank you very much.

Nov 10, 2019 7:30 PM in response to TLSFO

There may be a problem with the sortware update preferences file that keeps track of ignored updates. Go into the terminal and enter

sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored

Then restart your mac, go to software update in system preferences and see if you have the option to install Cataline.

Thanks to Apple support. I had the same problem as everyone here. So on a lark I went to the apple website, clicked on downloaed problems. Within seconds I get a call, then go on hold for 30 seconds or so, and this really nice and really patient Apple support staff is on the line. On a Sunday!!! We walked through the problem, repeating steps. Once the softwareupdate utility was run it was fixed. Yippee for Apple support!! If this had not worked he said he would have doenthe network install others have described. ( Command-Option-R )

Nov 25, 2019 9:16 AM in response to hama224

hama: Open up the Terminal application, found in the Utilities folder ( command-shift U ). The terminal application lets you do special stuff. In that app a window will open with the Title your user name and some additional info in the title. Then there will be a little stuff in the window and you will get a line displayed which ends with a gray vertical rectangle. If you type on the keyboard it will show up in the window. Type 'echo hello' without the quotes and a return key and you will see the word hello on the next line and then the prompt will appear again. This time type in 'sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored' without the quotes and a return key. The next line will say something about how you are doing something special and you better know what you are doing. Then it will ask for your password. Enter the password. There will be a pause of a few seconds to a minute and then the prompt will come back. Now you should be able to do the install.

The requested version of macOS is not available catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.