Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update from watchOS 5.3.2 to 6.0.1

My apple watch 4 updated to 5.3.2 a couple of days ago. I got a new iPhone today that supports iOS 13 and wanted to updated to watchOS 6.0.1, however when I check for new watchOS versions I get a message that 5.3.2 is the latest version.

Is 5.3.1 the only version that allows jumping to watchOS 6? Are 5.3.2 users stuck?

Thank you

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 3:41 PM

Several post today similar to yours. It could be a bug. You might be able to correct it by doing a reset (press in the crown and side button until you see the Apple logo, then release both.) Next, try updating again.

31 replies

Oct 12, 2019 5:31 PM in response to alexandru200

alexandru200 wrote:

I have the exact same issue. I am currently trying to update to 5.3.2, but it does not give me an option of 6.0 update. Even though my phone runs ios 13. It is definately a bug. Apple should get on it fast

Use the Contact Support link at the top of this page.

When Apple made it possible for older iPhones to update the Series 4 to 5.3.2, it seems the change was too broad and it disabled the ability of everyone with newer iPhones from upgrading their existing Series 3 and Series 4 Apple Watches to watchOS 6.

Oct 13, 2019 12:17 AM in response to c_kyr

Just got off the horn with apple support (BE-NL). They didn't seem on the ball regarding the issue. Support does not keep an eye on social media/forums to identify and tally issues. That's why it's important, that if you have an issue, you log a support case (advice for all).

They could not aknowledge critical frequency of this incident yet (in fact, it felt like I was the first to call them up about this). The status of this issue remains 'incident' as fas as support could tell me, no problem or root cause analysis yet. I have to check back in a few days.

Oct 13, 2019 10:24 AM in response to c_kyr

I also have the same issue. Have an Apple Watch series 3 and iPhone XR updated. I spoke with support over. Hours and they have escalated it to see what is the issue. Thy were very helpful and will call me back to follow up. I also think that everyone who has this issue should call and escalate. It is obvious that there is some issue that they end to fix.

Elizabeth

Oct 13, 2019 11:15 AM in response to Elizabeth Rodriguez

I just faced the same issue. Tried resetting 3 times and also switching pairing between 2 different iphones both of which are running the latest IOS 13. It wont budge from version 5.3.2 and say that the software is up to date.

I got a call arranged with Apple tomorrow - hoping if enough number of people facing this issue - Apple comes up with an update soon.

At this moment going by the last 6 hours spent to resolve this issue and reading the above posts, it seems nothing can be done but to wait patiently!

Aman

Oct 13, 2019 1:26 PM in response to aleksandr104

aleksandr104 wrote:
I have the exact same issue, yesterday i'm got Apple watch series 3 and i'm stuck on 5.3.2, my iPhone Xr apple watch app write what this is newest update. That happened Apple??? Wake up!!

The more people that use the Contact Support link at the top of this webpage, the more pressure this will put on engineering and engineerng management to resolve this issue.

PS. It is the weekend, and as someone that has worked as a software developer for 4 different Fortune 500 companies (never Apple), it takes awhile for this kind of issue to get through the outer layers of support.

Oct 13, 2019 4:31 PM in response to Anton_Kacanov

Had my Apple Watch S3 swapped out via Apple care. Old watch recently was updated to OS6. New watch refuses to acknowledge OS 6. Says my software is update at 5.3.2.

The Apple OS nightmare of several unpairings, repairings, master reset on phone, you name it, nothing worked. I’m glad I’m not the only one going through this though, as Apple had me poised to send the new watch back to Apple to continue the fiasco I called them back and told them I’m going to keep the current replacement for now as it’s probably going to be ironed out in the upcoming days, hopefully. But I agree, even the level 2 reps are unaware of any pulling of the os6 update. It’s pretty frustrating that there is no central flow of information for the those answering at the call centers. Hopefully it gets ironed out soon.

Oct 13, 2019 4:53 PM in response to Anton_Kacanov

Anton_Kacanov wrote:

Hey, same story. Just purchased apple watch series3, paired to iPhone Xr running latest IOS 13.1.2, watch app notified that there is software update, version 5.3.2 no other option. So updated (it took 2h) after what app says that this is latest available version. Reset, unpair, nothing helps. Not the best user experience apple....

Please use the Contact Support link at the top of this page. The more people escalate this bug the more resources engineering is likely to put into fixing it.

Oct 13, 2019 7:48 PM in response to BobHarris

I too am having this problem. New iPhone 11 with OS 13.1.2 and new Apple Watch series 4. The watch updated to WatchOS 5.3.2 and then says it's current. Contacted Apple Support. I had already restarted the phone, the watch and then both he phone and watch. I checked the Usage and made sure there was no Update pending. On Friday Apple Support had me unpair and then pair. That didn't work. I ran out of time and took a case number.

Contacted Apple again on Saturday, 10/12. I was handed up to a Senior Adviser and then another before sending to another who called me on the phone. She concluded that we had tried all the trouble shooting they had available. She then had me take 3 screenshots (iPhone About screen, Watch About Screen, the software update screen showing the watch declaring software was current at 5.3.2) and upload them to Apple. She also confirmed my phone was at OS13.1.2. She got a confirmation from Engineering that they received the information and were working my ticket and the problem. She scheduled a follow up phone update for Tuesday, 7:30 am (PDT).

I will update any progress when it occurs.

Oct 13, 2019 9:40 PM in response to c_kyr

Purchased a Series 3 Apple Watch today, using an iPhone X updated to iOS 13.1.2, watch won't update past 5.3.2, called Apple support, over the course of 2 hours we tried resetting, repairing, and about every other thing you can imagine.

Was eventually transferred and had a case opened with a senior adviser who told me it seems like the servers were having issues, and told me to just wait for apple to fix the issue. A little disappointing considering I bought the watch once I found out it supported watchOS 6 only to find out after 2 hours of troubleshooting there was no way to solve my issue. Hopefully Apple fixes this quickly.

Update from watchOS 5.3.2 to 6.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.