Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you send pic/s in Mail app as a simple attachment?

Hi. I've seen this topic posted all over the internet.

My question is, is it possible to send a pic as a pure attachment in an email via Mail on the iPhone? Like the way you would a pdf file for example... not inline.

When I add or attach a pic to an email, it incorporates it into the email.. it makes it part of the email content... making it inline with the email contents.

Is it possible to instead of having the image inline in the email message, to have it as a separate attachment? So this way if you are sending say 20 photos as an example, instead of some long email with a bunch of images one after another, the email is as short as the text in it and you have the 20 images as a separate attachment (like if you were sending a pdf file for example) which can be downloaded en masse to your computer instantly for example if you receive the email on a computer. Instead of right clicking or whatever you need to do to select and save the pics in an organized way if they are all inline.

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 3:49 AM

Although the attachments appear in line your device it isn’t on the receiving end . Unless you copy and paste .

The preferred way to send an image is to START in the chosen IMAGE app.

Select the image you want to sent tap the share Icon in the tool bar and then select the mail/outlook app to open a new email message box .

Type in your message and send . This way the image IS always sent as an attachment and not embedded .

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2019 3:49 AM in response to frale55

Although the attachments appear in line your device it isn’t on the receiving end . Unless you copy and paste .

The preferred way to send an image is to START in the chosen IMAGE app.

Select the image you want to sent tap the share Icon in the tool bar and then select the mail/outlook app to open a new email message box .

Type in your message and send . This way the image IS always sent as an attachment and not embedded .

Oct 13, 2019 3:36 AM in response to frale55

I'm still getting used to the Apple system. I haven't found a way to send the pic as an attachment like the way Android or Windows phone used to do it... as if it was a pdf file for example (as iPhone will do it), but I found something called icloud link which is an easy way to send a bunch of photos in a url that the person can click. It seems easier in general if one is sending photos to do it from the photo app and press share and then hit email as opposed to the other way around.

Oct 13, 2019 4:06 AM in response to Keith Doherty3

Hi Keith. I test the photos using multiple email accounts on my computer to see how they are being received.

I use a microsoft email account and a gmail email account and yahoo email account to see how photos are received and the photos/images are always inline/embedded. They don't arrive as an attachment in terms of not inline in the email. I've sent the photos using Mail with either a microsoft account or gmail account and the result is the same. This is the case whether I attach photo from within photo app or do it from within the email.

This is with iPhone SE/6S on iOS 13.1.2

Actually, I just sent it like you said using gmail on the iphone to a gmail account and it did work correctly. It seems it may be a microsoft issue.

Oct 13, 2019 4:27 AM in response to frale55

Seems if I send a photo as an attachment by selecting a photo in the photo app and then sharing it to Mail as suggested, if i use a microsoft email account as my Mail account, it will send it inline to any email I send it too.. or at least to the same M account, a gmail email account or yahoo email account. If I share the photo to Mail using a gmail email account as my Mail email account, then it sends it out as an attachment as far as I've checked unless I sent it to a microsoft email account. Seems something on M's end changes something. Anyway, good to know about sending attachments from the chosen app using share to email or whatever. Thanks.

Oct 13, 2019 5:03 AM in response to frale55

Final followup.. if I use the Microsoft email as my email account w/Mail, and set it up using the provided link, it will send pic as an attachment and not inline but it also send the signature as an attachment. In order to stop this, instead of using provided link to add an M email, I use "other" and add it there. This stops the sig as being sent as an attachment, but the pic sent as an attachment is sent inline. Anyway, not sure if an M issue or a kind of conflict.

Can you send pic/s in Mail app as a simple attachment?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.