Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina bluetooth issues - audio output switches intermittently

After upgrading to Catalina, my Macbook Air has audio output issues when the Bluetooth is connected to Sony WH-1000MX2 headphones. Suddenly, the audio connection switches to the internal speakers and the output can't be changed. The immediate solution is to turn off/on the bluetooth on the Macbook and reconnect the headphones. But after a while the problem reoccurs.

I have tried to problem solve by the following processes:

1. Accessing the debug function (click the the bluetooth icon in the menu bar whilst pressing alt+shift). Remove bluetooth devices. Reset the Bluetooth module. Delete the bluetooth plist files in the library (/Library/Preferences + ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost ). Restart Macbook. Reconnect the device.
  2. Reinstalling Mac OS Catalina

The actions mentioned above does not solve the problem.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2019 8:49 AM

Here what I found running some debugging with Bluetooth explorer.

Actually the BT device work using the AAC codec until at a certain point the transfer of the audio information going down as you can see on the picture here... This means that it is something related to the audio codec over Bluetooth. There is a bug there. Maybe this can help engineers to solve the problem! :)

So for the moment what I experimented is that after reboot the device works until sleep mode is activated. After no way to have a working Bluetooth audio device. Of course this is not the proper way to run the device :-)

Bests

Similar questions

156 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2019 8:49 AM in response to Evoll

Here what I found running some debugging with Bluetooth explorer.

Actually the BT device work using the AAC codec until at a certain point the transfer of the audio information going down as you can see on the picture here... This means that it is something related to the audio codec over Bluetooth. There is a bug there. Maybe this can help engineers to solve the problem! :)

So for the moment what I experimented is that after reboot the device works until sleep mode is activated. After no way to have a working Bluetooth audio device. Of course this is not the proper way to run the device :-)

Bests

Oct 19, 2019 11:12 AM in response to AskAgain

Hello AskAgain,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are having an issue with using your Bluetooth headphones with your MacBook Air, even after trying some good steps. First, run the Apple Diagnostics tool and see if this shows any more info on this situation:

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac

Apple Diagnostics: Reference codes

Next, see if this could be related to wireless interference and then contact Apple if you need any further assistance.

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

The Bluetooth wireless connection fails or sound cuts in and out. | Sony USA

Contact Apple Support 

Cheers!

Oct 28, 2019 2:47 PM in response to chris_g1

Hello chris_g1,

Thank you for your reply.

Although the issue is unresolved, I've noticed that others are having the same issue, so I thought I'd provide an update.

FYI: a similar issue has been posted in another thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250761403 and in the Sony Community as well ( https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/portable-audio/macos-catalina-and-wh-1000xm3-connection-issues/td-p/2668789 )

So I followed the protocol mentioned to no avail. Then I contacted Apple Support. After some further testing, it seems like the output doesn't change when the wifi is turned off. That's the hypothesis for now.

The case has been forwarded to another department and Apple engineers will look into the diagnostics and get back to me.

I'll update the thread in case there is a solution.

Cheers.

Nov 14, 2019 1:36 AM in response to chris_g1

Hello chris_g1 and to whom this might be of interest,

A quick update.

The Apple engineers have looked at the diagnostics and there is no solution in sight, for now. Apple Support has suggested that I install Mac OS Catalina on an external drive to test for hardware issues and software conflicts.

To me, it seems like a Mac OS Catalina issues, as I am not alone with this problem. So I'm not sure if I want to spend time testing this further.

The solution right now is to use a headphone cable or roll-back to a previous Mac OS (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904 ).

Hopefully, the next 10.15.2 update (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos_release_notes/macos_catalina_10_15_2_beta_2_release_notes ) will solve this problem or maybe chris_g1 can push this matter further up the system?

Cheers

Nov 25, 2019 3:14 AM in response to AskAgain

Since the apple engineers won't do anything about this issue anytime soon, I found this trick helped me. I went to https://developer.apple.com/download/more and searched for additional tools on the search bar, and downloaded the latest xcode 10.2. In the folder Hardware look for bluetooth explorer and open it, it opens in the background so you need to search for it. Then open the Tools/Audio options tab, and select "Force use of aptx" box. Then I found the bluetooth doesn't drop after couple of mins.

Nov 25, 2019 4:19 AM in response to jaswin90

jaswin90 wrote:

Since the apple engineers won't do anything about this issue anytime soon, I found this trick helped me. I went to https://developer.apple.com/download/more and searched for additional tools on the search bar, and downloaded the latest xcode 10.2. In the folder Hardware look for bluetooth explorer and open it, it opens in the background so you need to search for it. Then open the Tools/Audio options tab, and select "Force use of aptx" box. Then I found the bluetooth doesn't drop after couple of mins.

Give this man a medal!

This seems to work for now...

Dec 15, 2019 8:00 AM in response to AskAgain

After updating to 10.15.2 I was still experiencing the issue where attempting to connect my Beats Solo 3 to my 15-inch MBP (late 2016). The issue I experience is my Beats will connect via bluethooth for a few seconds and then disconnect. No Beats available in sound output devices. This issue started immediately after updating to the initial Catalina 10.15. Yes, I generally wait for a .2 or .3 for bugs to shake out but unfortunately the auto-update got me this time.

However, as of this morning after performing SMC reset (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295) I now am once again listening to music using my Beats connected to my MBP via bluetooth. Not sure how long this will last but feels good at the moment.

Apple please fix this bluetooth audio issue. This is extremely bad support for long-time customers.

Jan 14, 2020 7:12 AM in response to ntherkelsen

Hi,

I also have similar issue.

Macbook Pro 15 (2019)

macOS 10.15.2 (Catalina)

I've assigned my Magic Mouse, and when I leave it without moving the cursor, it become "not connected" and "connected" back after 5 or 10 seconds of moving it.

What I did :

• Removed com.apple.Bluetooth.plist
  • Reset PRAM (Command + Option + P + R)
  • Removed device
  • Tried with my second Magic Mouse (I have both, version 1 and version 2)

I still have the issue since Catalina upgrade.

Bluetooth devices :

• Magic Mouse 1
  • Magic Mouse 2

When I use both mice on my other Mac without Catalina (MBP13 retina, MacMini), I don't have that issue.

@Apple : What do you plan to solve this ?

Jan 26, 2020 2:54 PM in response to AskAgain

Hi Apple,

Please stop blaming other devices and take ownership for your bug. It is extremely worrying that you don't take responsibility for this issue, because this means you're not even going to try to prioritize it. Your product is supposed to connect to all bluetooth devices as most products, even cheaper ones do.

You can't blame it on sony, hardware on anything else.

Here are the facts:

• I used my company's macpro to connect to Logitech speakers via bluetooth.
  • I updated to Catalina and now my sound gets muted every two minutes even through the speakers show connected.
  • There were no bluetooth issues before
  • Here's the interesting bit: Your other product Iphone XS has no problem connecting and providing stable sound through those speakers.
  • Mystery solved.

If I don't get a clear response, I'll do my best to make a formal complaint. I'm sure the Uk consumer rights would be interested as well. This needs to be addressed publicly!

Feb 11, 2020 5:08 AM in response to AskAgain

Could it be related to Apple ID/ iCloud?

Has anyone tried to:

1. Sign out of Apple ID (iCloud) via Preferences.
  2. Access the debug function (click the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar whilst pressing alt+shift). Reset the Bluetooth module. Remove Bluetooth devices.
  3. Restart.
  4. Reconnect the device (do not do log in to Apple ID)

Does it help?

It's a temporary fix if it works and Apple ID/ iCloud functions are not crucial.

I've been testing it for an hour or two and it seems to stay connected.. for now 😆

Mar 26, 2020 3:43 AM in response to AskAgain

After 10.15.4 it seems it fixed finally for me (MacBook Air 2013). I used speaker (Bose SoundLink Mini II) and headset (Harman/Kardon BT) for a day without interruptions and switches. Nonetheless it's not 100% smooth:

1. When I listen cue of very short (< 1 sec) sound files (phrases in Duolingo made of separate words), sound output chokes and cannot reproduce the whole phrase. There's no such issue via wired connection.
  2. The signal seems weaker than before. Interference starts when I go to another room, there was not such issues with the same devices before.

Important: I checked the connection after each Catalina update and unpaired devices after each fail. So after update I pair them again.

Oct 28, 2019 2:19 PM in response to chris_g1

"Next, see if this could be related to wireless interference and then contact Apple if you need any further assistance." Is this Apple's way of saying we have no REAL answer for this problem. My Bluetooth devices don't connect to MBP. Clearly the Catalina update screwed things up. Stop pointing fingers Apple and take responsibility for this madness. Not to mention PDF files now read in a funky font and the format is smashed together. The first image pdf reader after update. 2nd image is how it was viewed prior to Catalina update.

Prior to Catalina, notice the difference?

Oct 30, 2019 1:47 AM in response to AskAgain

Hi,

I had the same problem. I confirm the AskAgain hypothesis.

There was some interference between the bluetooth and WiFi card especially when the latest one was connected to a WiFi network at 2.4GHz. Indeed, both devices operates roughly in this frequency spectrum.

Eventually for me the problem was solved by updating the operative system to the new version 10.15.1.

Best regards

Nov 13, 2019 11:39 PM in response to AskAgain

I am having the same exact issues on my new Macbook Air 13 inch after I upgraded to Catalina even on version 10.15.1. I have tried debugging the bluetooth. Resetting PRAM and SMC. My Sony Headphones WH1000XM3/B are also updated with latest version. It is the most annoying thing to pay over $1,000 for a Macbook Air and because of Apple's Catalina having a bug I can't use my $350 headphones.

Apple please make this bug fix a high priority. Either you do or you are doing this on purpose to get us, your customers, to buy the new Apple Airpods.

Catalina bluetooth issues - audio output switches intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.