Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 11 Pro Max sunset photo issue

I went to a wedding and was taking some photos at sunset near a lake. The vast majority of the subjects had parts of the sunset/lake/sky duplicated and across their body. Techs first tried to explain this away as flare but this was not just flare - it was actually taking part of the image and duplicating it on the subjects. The genius bar just told me to return it, but the Apple greeter at the same store told me that is normal if taking photos in HDR. I have taken countless sunset photos over the years with Iphones and have never come across this. Has anyone ever encountered this?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 12:23 PM

13 replies

Oct 14, 2019 1:16 PM in response to Teeeebone

Turning off HDR might have actually been beneficial taking this photo. HDR layers photos on top of each other, contributing to the Lens Flare effect. I do not believe the phone is faulty at all. Nor would this suggest there's a software issue. Bright lights behind a subject are difficult at best to take, especially when the subjects themselves are in lower light as this photo suggests they were.

Nov 20, 2019 4:56 AM in response to Teeeebone

I am having these kinds of artefacts only when the iPhone used HRD mode. HDR is a synthesis of three shots taken in a quick succession, and if there is a glittering specular light - the reflection on a metallic button or a sun ray passing through the leaves of a tree, sunlight glittering on the waves, the automatic HDR will create these coloured spots, because the glittering spot is slightly moving.

With my older iPhone X it did not matter, because it had a setting to keep the normal version; I could simply discard the HDR version and could keep the normal version. But this useful option does no longer seem to be available on my new iPhone 11 Pro Max with "Automatic HDR" enabled. So we are stuck with only the HDR version with artefacts, which is a pity.

Nov 25, 2019 8:02 PM in response to lobsterghost1

That was actually a good idea. I have the 11 Pro Max and I was doing a test picture just in my house. The HDR actually works better than the non hdr for me. With the HDR on it was a more defined image. But simple images would lights as the reflection even though I am not aiming at it. I have to point directly at the light to move the distortion into the lights so I don’t see The reflection.

Iphone 11 Pro Max sunset photo issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.