Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Used space is not recovered after removing data from iCloud

Hello community!

Several weeks ago I hit a limit in my iCloud storage so I decided to remove some data from the iCloud. So I removed about 70GB from the iCloud drive but unfortunately the space seems to not be recovered and iCloud still says, that there is not enough space.

Is there some sort of retention period? I've been waiting for few weeks already to be sure that it is not some sort of cache.

I also checked the Trash in icoud.com and that one is empty. Is there anything I can do to remove the data from iCloud?

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 2:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 2:02 PM

You are welcome. Other people have posted similar problems and after contacting iCloud support, found it was a server problem. iCloud support reset everything. You may have to politely ask for a level 2 person.

iCloud Support

5 replies

Oct 18, 2019 2:40 PM in response to ondrejfuhrer

Try going to iCloud.com/iCloud Drive using a computer browser and click on Recently Deleted at the bottom right. If there are files there you do not need, delete them. Then try iCloud.com/Account Settings using a computer browser and go to Advanced at the bottom left. Access Restore Files. If there are files there you do not need, delete them.

Oct 20, 2019 1:53 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thank you a lot for your input. Already tried the "Recently deleted" items, which is empty. I had high hopes for the "Access Restore Files" in the Advanced section - there were few files, that I removed, unfortunately that wasn't anything significant. iCloud still reports 70GB in iCloud drive even though I removed everything from there and even in that section it says "No files to restore".

Used space is not recovered after removing data from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.