Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to re-import my entire I-tunes library?

I noticed that whenever I try to play any songs added to my library before 2018 I get a song " could not be used because the original file could not be found. " All my songs are where they have been for the last 10 years. The app is pointing to the correct directory. I don't know what to do or why this has happened. Can I revert back Mojave?

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 1:33 PM

You could try Repair security permissions for iTunes for Mac - Apple Community.

Note your files are not in the standard location where they would normally have been in iTunes before you upgraded. That would typically have been:

/Users/<User>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/<Artist>/<Album>## <Name>.<Ext>

Perhaps something about the non-standard layout has left Music confused when it has migrated the iTunes library.

Do you have a pre-upgrade backup of your computer in Time Machine? You would need that if you were to revert to Mojave.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2019 1:33 PM in response to jsd540

You could try Repair security permissions for iTunes for Mac - Apple Community.

Note your files are not in the standard location where they would normally have been in iTunes before you upgraded. That would typically have been:

/Users/<User>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/<Artist>/<Album>## <Name>.<Ext>

Perhaps something about the non-standard layout has left Music confused when it has migrated the iTunes library.

Do you have a pre-upgrade backup of your computer in Time Machine? You would need that if you were to revert to Mojave.

tt2

Oct 16, 2019 11:20 AM in response to jsd540

Select a song that doesn't play and shows with an exclamation mark. Press Cmd+i to get Song Info. When asked to locate the file say no. Now look at the file tab for this track. What does iTunes show for the location? Where is that track really? Assuming there is some discrepancy it should be possible to shift the files so they are where iTunes is looking for them.

tt2

Oct 16, 2019 1:58 PM in response to jsd540

I don't know. I've not seen that particular construction before and I'm having trouble finding out about it. What is the path to the media folder shown under Music > Preferences > Files? If you go through the Cmd+i process again but this time locate the file that Music is complaining about does it offer to try to fix others, and if so does that work?

tt2

Do I need to re-import my entire I-tunes library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.