Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling Siri Suggestions in Look Up in Safari in Mac

Hi,

After updating to Catalina when I use the lookup function in safari I only get useless Siri suggestions instead of just seeing the definition of the word. I tried to disable Siri's suggestions in safari, but that did not solve the issue. I tried to disable Spotlight Suggestions in Search Results, but this did not solve the issue either. What solves it partially is to disable to spotlight completely, but then look up shows nothing. I just want it to show the dictionary definitions as it did before.

Thanks for the help

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 1:14 PM

1 reply

Oct 25, 2019 8:52 AM in response to andrej32

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, andrej32!

I understand you're trying to lookup definitions using Safari, but are only getting Siri suggestions. I'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

Give the following steps a try: Use Spotlight on your Mac

"Get definitions, calculations, and conversions

Spotlight can show you dictionary definitions, calculations, measurement conversions, and more. Find out more ways to search with Spotlight.

Here are examples of what you can do:

• To get a definition, enter a word or phrase, then click the result in the Definition section.
  • To get a calculation, enter something like “2+2” in the search field.
  • To convert measurements, enter something like 25 lbs or “32 ft to meters”.

"

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Enjoy your day!

Disabling Siri Suggestions in Look Up in Safari in Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.