Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes login and authorization error

I haven't logged in to my account for two days.

I have not tried itunes version.

when logging in or authorizing, I get a warning that the operation could not be completed.

error codes -50 and 0x80090342

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 5:45 AM

9 replies

Oct 20, 2019 6:32 AM in response to yildizli

If iTunes is apparently installed correctly try the following in turn until iTunes opens/closes/reopens/connects to the store normally:

• Remove any SD card that might be in a card reader.
  • Exit the BTTray.exe Bluetooth utility if installed.
  • Locate the shortcut for iTunes, right-click on it, and select Run as administrator. Doing this once may fix certain launch issues. Some users were finding that with the 12.6.1.25 build, for example, they had to use this method every time and modified the shortcut accordingly.
  • Try holding ctrl+shift as you launch iTunes so it opens in safe-mode. Again doing this once may sometimes help.
  • Try disconnecting your computer from the Internet before running iTunes.
  • Delete the iTunes shortcuts from the start menu, desktop, task bar, or similar, then repair iTunes from the programs and features control panel.
  • Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support and test the behaviour in a different user profile or with a different library. If the problem only exists in your profile it may be possible to delete some of the iTunes preference files which it would seem that iTunes may be choking on. We can go into details later if the issue is limited to your own profile.
  • Temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus and see if that has any impact on the behaviour.
  • See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for detailed tear down and rebuild advice. Disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus software when reinstalling and run the installer as the administrator.
  • If you installed iTunes from the Microsoft Store you may find the traditional iTunesSetup.exe installer works better for you.
  • Or see the iTunes installers section of the troubleshooting tip and reinstall the last version that worked correctly for you. Note that iTunes 12.6.5.3 or iTunes 12.8.0.150 are the minimum versions required for devices running iOS 12.

tt2

Oct 22, 2019 6:15 AM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

The iTunes Store is not fully supported on iTunes below 12.7.2.58 with the exception of 12.6.5.3. See About App Store and iTunes Store availability - Apple Support for more.

I am familiar with that link. It states that changes were implemented by Apple on May 25, 2018, which is incorrect (although there was a temporary issue a few days later, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8407650). However, it now appears that Apple implemented changes affecting iTunes Store availability on Oct 17, 2019. Any links about that?

Oct 24, 2019 11:48 AM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

The iTunes Store is not fully supported on iTunes below 12.7.2.58 with the exception of 12.6.5.3.

I may search for threads in which that was first established. (If you happen to have a link handy, that would be appreciated.) Meanwhile, I no longer doubt that you are correct in light of https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250770211. However, in July of this year I found that I needed to reauthorize a movie that I hadn't played in years, and I was able to do so using 11.1.5 on a PC running Vista that had definitely not "remained signed into the store over time." Thanks for your help.

Oct 20, 2019 7:06 AM in response to yildizli

Hello yildizli. Are you using an old version of iTunes for Windows, perhaps because you are running Windows XP or Vista?

I can reproduce your errors using iTunes 11.1.5 on an old PC running Vista. (I prefer 11.1.5 to 12.1.3 because it did not cause Data Execution Prevention problem reports on Vista.) I will certainly review turingtest2's suggestions.

Oct 24, 2019 1:43 PM in response to Johnny DEP

Reauthorizing may not require the same level of security as accessing payment information in the iTunes Store. I think I manually installed every build from 12.6.0.100 through to 12.7.2.60 to work out which could actually access the store at some point. According to my notes on the troubleshooting page 12.6.4.3 also used to work, though clearly it makes sense to use the more recent 12.6.5.3 if you're staying behind.

tt2

itunes login and authorization error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.