Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina 10.15 and external hard drive issues

I have an iMac (Reina, 5K, 27" 2017) & I updated to Catalina 10.15. I have my Photos app on an external hard drive & since I updated the OS I can't access the disk correctly. 

When I click on the disk icon I get the following window:

I can't eject the drive. And it ends up freezing the Finder. My only option is to restart my iMac.

The following is what I get when I run FirstAid on Disk Utility:

The external is a Seagate. I’m also using a Seagate for backup. I am not experiencing any issues (that I know of) with that drive. It has done multiple backups since I updated. 

I backup all of my photos to the iCloud. Do I need to erase the external, format & restore Photos?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

iMac 27" 5K, 10.15

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 2:06 PM

49 replies

Dec 12, 2019 2:34 PM in response to Teddy_McSnuggins

Did the drive come with any software on it and, if so, did you install that software?

How is the drive formatted and connected to your Mac?

Have you tried the following?

1 - How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac. 

2 - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.

Log into another user account on your Mac and see if the problem persists there: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 3, 2019 10:55 AM in response to macosrules

Several important points have been made that I just want to repeat:

1. many drives come with software that offer certain services. I've never found any of that third party software helpful. To the contrary, in many cases I've seen it cause trouble. Don't use it. This can especially be an issue at this time of the year - when Apple has just released a new OS. Driver level software is often broken by OS upgrades, not to mention security updates.
  2. Mojave's Disk Utility may be more trustworthy at the moment than Catalina's. This is one of the many reasons I have both a Catalina installation (internal drive) and a Mojave installation (external drive) and I'll keep the Mojave installation at least until September next year.
  3. external drives found at big box discount stores are often of doubtful quality. While I can recommend Western Digital bare drives, I never recommend their externals. I trust my media files and backups to OWC drives enclosures and I build my own drives.

Dec 24, 2019 12:09 AM in response to Old Toad

The drives (I have used numerous) have no 3rd party software installed and were formatted using ExFAT. This problem is easily repeatable.

1. Format a drive.
  2. Put the MAC to sleep without ejecting the external storage.
  3. Restart MAC and drive will not be mounted.

I've tried Western Dig, Seagate and an SSD running off a simple SSD-USB interface.

There is nothing wrong with the drives in that Linux and Windows 10 can mount the drives, albeit with issues which can be fixed by the respective OSes.

Apple has screwed the pooch with this release...They cannot brush this off as being 3rd party software on devices as they state they are supported...

Dec 2, 2019 10:55 PM in response to macosrules

I also have problems with external drives. I have MAC 21" retina. I had WD Elements 2 TB for general storage and 1 TB used for time machine (drive which stayed after changing internal hdd drive in mac 21 retina for SSD). I had used these external drive for more than 2 years without any problems; after upgrade to OS Catalina WD Elements seems to hang up when the Mac has gone to stand by. One month later the drive stopped working and crash - I lost drive and datas. Second drive ( 1TB back up) during the working give information about unsecure disconnection and after few minutes connect again. I have bought next drive (my 2 TB was downed) - WD 12 TB My book and has started to use as 6TB which mirroring ( 6TB duplication datas) and again OS after waking up it freezes and calls for a recovery program because it works incorrectly. Sometimes it also causes the computer to not turn on or problems with shut down.

If someone have the same issues please send my what I should do?

Dec 6, 2019 3:11 AM in response to taxman75

Catalina has bricked my 2 x 4TB WD's. I've taken one out of the WD enclosure because they wont even stat up now and put it in a new USB3 one. Says it's not receivable by this computer and needs reformatting !!!!

So, Catalina has blown the power boards on both WD drives because one is now stating up but unreconisable.

How do I get it to recognise it/ Anyone?

Dec 8, 2019 9:34 AM in response to macosrules

I believe I have narrowed down my issues (Finder locking up and not being able to relaunch, and then a force-shutdown and restart being required) to my external hard drive as well.

This system (iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2013) has been rock solid for some time, along with the 2TB, 2012 Lacie drive used for back-ups and videos that is constantly connected to it.

But since Catalina (10.15.1 installed as I type this), the Finder has locked up on a fairly regular basis. I am now ejecting my external hard drive regularly, and that seems to fix the issue.

It seems like I will have to buy a new external hard drive, unless Apple somehow addresses this issue in a forthcoming update.

Dec 12, 2019 1:56 PM in response to macosrules

I keep having issues where the external drive is not recognised by the OS. Somethimes Catalina cannot Eject the disk despite there being no residual tasks shown, even checking in Terminal. The ironic thing is that my Windows 10 machine recognises the disk and that it has errors, and it then repairs it. If you let your machine go to sleep you may also encounter this issue. Hopefully you have access to a Windows machine to repair it.

It would seem that Catalina has issues surrounding externally mounted hardware!

Dec 12, 2019 2:01 PM in response to chrispl0

I have found that Windows 10 will see the drives and state that it has errors that need to be repaired. I f you perform a scan and repair it seems to address the issue and it will the Catalina will recognise the drive. I use my external drive to store a lot of music samples for my music production and this is getting very annoying. i have had to repair the drive about 7 times now. Have done testing using my Windows machine and no issues. Have tried another drive on Catalina and same problems. A fix for this is urgently required!

Dec 20, 2019 11:52 PM in response to vebu

Firstly unplug your hard drives. Catalina has blown up 2 of mine. Both WD 4T drives are ruined, that’s my TM for over 5 years and my iTunes. I was nearly sick. WD just said they aren’t supporting Catalina yet. Nothing could be done. In new caddies now and working but everything lost. Apple don’t mention this. Had to wipe the Hard Drive on my new iMac and reinstall Mojave to get stuff working again. Catalina = Vista

Dec 21, 2019 12:14 AM in response to macosrules

This is not a problem of the disk itself, but a mounting problem in the system. I have the very same problem with my SMB shares. I can mount them after a boot, but when I close my Mac, instead of disconnecting as they would normally do, finder shows the disks are disconnected, mounting point folders remain at the same place, but all are renamed to "OS X" (but on desktop the names remain the same) and I cannot get rid of them. But that does not matter, because running my AppleScript with "mount volume" command does not work anyway. The app gets stalled. This is obviously a bug and I hope it gets fixed soon.

Oh and by the way, after this happens, I cannot restart normally, but often have to force it. Also if I try to mount the volumes too soon (when not yet correctly connected to network for example), the mounting gets stalled and I have to do another restart!!! My Mac is virtually crippled right now.

Catalina 10.15 and external hard drive issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.