Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro touchscreen unresponsive after iOS 13.1 update

After I recently updated my iPad Pro (10.5, 2017 version) to iOS 13.1 I have been experiencing trouble with touchscreen responsiveness. My iPad doesn't respond to tap immediately as if there was an input lag, and sometimes it doesn't seem to register touch (tap) at all. I cleaned the screen and reset the device but I didn't resolve my issue. Anyone having similar problems?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 11:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 2:46 AM

After having read the above linked discussions I found out that this issue might be Apple Pencil related. I haven't used my Apple Pencil 1 for over a month at this point, and oddly enough after connecting it to iPad and letting it charge the touchscreen unresponsiveness/lagging issue seems to have resolved, at lest for the time being. I have reported this as a bug using Apple Feedback (link above in Michael's post). Hope this helps.

Thank everyone for reading and replying, this community forum seems like a very vibrant and helpful place.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 2:46 AM in response to MichelPM

After having read the above linked discussions I found out that this issue might be Apple Pencil related. I haven't used my Apple Pencil 1 for over a month at this point, and oddly enough after connecting it to iPad and letting it charge the touchscreen unresponsiveness/lagging issue seems to have resolved, at lest for the time being. I have reported this as a bug using Apple Feedback (link above in Michael's post). Hope this helps.

Thank everyone for reading and replying, this community forum seems like a very vibrant and helpful place.

Oct 22, 2019 1:15 AM in response to santo11

Did this problem start when you upgraded to iPadOS or were you having this issue prior to iPadOS because this is a very long known issue in these iPad support communities.

Going all the way back to the beginning of iOS 12.

What was the last version of iOS your 2017, 10.5 inch screen iPad Pro was running prior to iPadOS ( iOS 13.1.3 ) before you got the intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue?

Take a look at these long standing, longer posts on the subject of this intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue.

There is STILL no “official” confirmed solution/fix from Apple, to date!

iPad Pro touch screen intermittent unresp… - Apple Community

iPad Pro screen unresponsive - Apple Community

iPad Pro 12.9” not responding to touch in… - Apple Community

Oct 22, 2019 2:09 AM in response to santo11

The best you can do is to keep alerting Apple to this growing issue.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts

working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

Also, you may want to phone contact Apple, directly in Cupertino, California, and calmly talk to an Apple customer service employee about this issue via the link below.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Oct 22, 2019 12:13 AM in response to santo11

Hello santo11 !

Does your problem occur after Updating to iOS 13 ? Or sometimes it happens before upgrading the iOS Version ?

Try Hard Rebooting your iPad Pro :

1. Press and release the Volume Up button
  2. Press and release the Volume Down button
  3. Press and hold the Power button, hold until you see the  Apple logo appear on screen

Or you might consider to bring it to nearest Local Apple Store for further Assistance.

Oct 21, 2019 11:38 PM in response to santo11

Yes, same here. I hate this new software. I’m to the point I’m considering an Android. Besides the touch screen being unresponsive, Bluetooth and WiFi have also been affected. The screen will darken for no reason, then go back to where it was. The apps are glitchy at best. It can take 3-4 times of opening the app before it will stay open. I’ve restarted mine twice, the iPad is in a protective case and had a screen protector. I never had any of these issues prior to the update. The software sucks.

Oct 22, 2019 1:07 AM in response to DocileMeerkat

Hi DocileMeerkat!

I noticed this issue just recently after updating to iOS 13 and I never had similar problems before. Hard Reboot doesn't help either. It feels like it's a software issue, the iPad is sort of "lagging" especially when I'm typing, and sometimes I have to tap multiple times to get the tap registered by the device. All of the sudden scrolling in Safari also started "lagging"/shredding page for a fraction of a second.

Oct 22, 2019 1:34 AM in response to santo11

Look through the links I posted.

What iOS version was your 2017, 10.5 inch screen iPad Pro running prior to upgrading to iPadOS 13.1.3?

This is important.

To date, which is now, almost a full year for most iPad Pro users affected by this, there has been NO fix or solution from Apple and no admission, at all, from Apple about this issue.

This is THE VERY REASON I do not want to upgrade my own 2015, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro for fear of just getting this intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue “JUST out of the blue” with no real rhyme or reason!

Because once an iPad Pro gets this intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue, it NEVER, EVER goes away!

My own 2015 iPad Pro is STILL running iOS 10.3.3 and I am having NO touch screen issues whatsoever!

Absolutely NONE!

Oct 22, 2019 1:34 AM in response to MichelPM

I'm so agree with this. Before taking any update, we better search and ask the Community about the Pros and Cons.

I didn't blame anyone who already update to iOS 13.1.3, but it will be good if you take a Good note from people who already facing this problem. This is why i always ask them to refer to the Official Apple Support or Apple Feedback.

Sometimes, upgrading the iOS to the Latest version not always a good option. (I'm still using iPadOS 13.1.2 for my iPad Air 3)

Oct 22, 2019 1:47 AM in response to DocileMeerkat

This particular issue has been a vexing one with some users claiming that this intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue going all the way back to a late iOS 11 update release.

You are new here. So, you have no clue.

The links I posted are for the long-standing long going posts on this single issue that mostly affects ALL iPad Pro models across ALL 4 model years and now seems to be affecting brand new, 2019, 10.5 inch screen iPad Air 3 models, as well, now!

There is, at the very least, one to two of these postings a day!

How do I know this?

I have been fielding/answering each and every one of these particular postings since late November 2012!

This is a very serious issue with no real fix/solution or temporary fix that sticks!

And Apple, to date, has NOT been able to solve this issue, either!

Through nearly a full year of process of elimination, I have come to figure out that this issue is related to some bug with the iPad Pro's hardware/software ( I do not know which ) gyroscope feature/function in combination with hardware/software features of the iPad Pro's touch screen.

But it took nearly a full year to finally make this realisation.

Oct 22, 2019 3:13 AM in response to santo11

Most of the iPad Pro models that got affected by this got this touch issue sometime very early in the iOS 12 update cycle and have NOT been able to fix it or come up with a fix or solution since.

iPadOS 13 has done nothing to mitigate this issue.

And now after you just upgraded directly from some version of iOS 12 directly to iOS 13.1.3, your 2017 iPad Pro, for yet NO reason, have come down with the exact same intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issues every other iPad Pro affected user has been suffering with, for, at least, the last 7 or 8 months, or more.

This is just strange.

Some thing bad is just going on here as this issue continues to be a random event that ONLY affects certain iPad Pro models across all iPad Pro model years!

I am wondering if this is some combination of an iOS software issue and some third party app/s compatibility as this issue does NOT affect every single iPad or iPad Pro ever made by Apple.

I am REALLY confused/confounded about this now, but your iPad Pro just coming down with this touch screen issue, NOW, could be an abberation, an exception to the what has been common to this issue, to date, up until now.

I just do not understand what hardware/software issue/s are at work here, now!

Until Apple can figure this out, I may never get to upgrade my iPad Pro, ever again!

I do not want my iPad Pro to come down with this “incurable” touch screen problem!

Oct 22, 2019 3:28 AM in response to MichelPM

My iPad Pro 10.5 (2017), bought in early 2018, came with iOS 10.3.2 preinstalled. I kept it updated to the latest iOS release ever since and had no issues whatsoever. Only a couple of days ago I installed iPadOS 13.1 and started to notice touchscreen unresponsiveness. I assumed is was related to OS upgrade and thus would be resolved with the next OS update, but the issue was becoming unbearable and so I started to look for a solution and ended up here. I have no idea what causes that problem or whether it is in any way related to Apple Pencil, but it does feel like it is software related, and thus should be fixable. I hope Apple looks into this, as such issues spoil iPad Pro premium experience entirely. Hearing this has been an unsolved issue for over a year now is, to put it mildly, worrisome.

Oct 22, 2019 3:37 AM in response to santo11

It has completely prevented me from upgrading my iPad Pro for 3 OS iterations, now!

The risks of my own iPad Pro getting this issue seems more likely and perceptible, now and, once again, left without the option to upgrade to iPadOS until an official, confirmed fix is forthcoming from Apple.

You should call Apple support in California about this issue.

There is no way to know how much feedback has been produced about this issue and maybe if Apple gets more support calls about this, that may wake up Apple teams and employees about this year long growing issue.

I have wanting to upgrade my iPad Pro for two years, now, and haven’t been able to because of this looming, “incurable” touch screen issue.

Best of Luck to You!

iPad Pro touchscreen unresponsive after iOS 13.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.