Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Severe battery drain, iOS 13.1.3, iPad Pro

Any suggestions?

I am experiencing severe battery drain, iOS 13.1.3, iPad Pro. In Settings>Battery, Safari is shown to be the biggest drain by far (BY FAR!). Have been going from 100% after unplugging charger to less than 50% in two hours of morning use (between 7:00 and 9:00am). At the rate of drain, will have zero left before noon. I use Safari to read articles/morning news...not watching battery consuming videos (but even if I were, this performance would be atrocious and unacceptable). Have performed all the “fixes” I found listed online thus far: install the latest iOS with its “battery fix,” wait (did so for days!) for app updates to “catch up,” lower screen brightness, turn off background app refresh, close apps (and rebooted), minimize open tabs in Safari (usually only have two open at any one time, but also erased history/data and rebooted), etc. Nothing helps. There is a serious problem and it doesn’t appear to be a setting. Thank you for any suggestions.

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 10:23 AM

Perhaps I am incorrect, however, before updating to to IPadOS 13, I never experienced battery drain when I closed the cover. I could leave it for days and not experience power loss. Now I lose 50% overnight when there is no activity.

I am convinced something has changed, and judging by the large number of other people complaining about the same thing, I think I am correct.

Similar questions

269 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2019 10:23 AM in response to MichelPM

Perhaps I am incorrect, however, before updating to to IPadOS 13, I never experienced battery drain when I closed the cover. I could leave it for days and not experience power loss. Now I lose 50% overnight when there is no activity.

I am convinced something has changed, and judging by the large number of other people complaining about the same thing, I think I am correct.

Nov 12, 2019 7:44 PM in response to jimfromfairfax

If no one posts feedback to Apple, they may not even be aware of this issue/problem.

The best you can do is alert Apple to this growing issue.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

Also, you may want to phone contact Apple, directly in Cupertino, California, and calmly talk to an Apple customer service employee about this issue via the link below.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Nov 13, 2019 4:46 PM in response to Sandman1701

i only have background app refresh on for only those apps I regularly use and turn/toggle background app refresh to OFF status for any apps that really do not need to use this feature or for any apps that I do not want to constantly access the Internet in the background, slowing any performance of my iOS devices.

If you like, tap on my iPad performance/battery saving tips link, below.

I use ALL of these tips on all of my iOS devices and even on my much more powerful iPad Pro because it makes it even that much quicker.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11! - Apple Community

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together.

DO NOT simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”!

Many of these tips are designed to work together to help improve overall iOS/iDevice performance and battery optimisation.

Good Luck!

Dec 24, 2019 4:21 PM in response to Madcitysmb

Have you tried ANY and ALL of possible solutions provided in this posting?

Have you tried doing a few hard resets of your iPad in a row?

What about doing any other battery saving procedures mentioned here?

Reducing screen brightness?

Toggle OFF Background App Refresh for those apps that do not need this feature OR toggle OFF this setting globally for the entire iPad?

What about trying out my own iPad performance tips mentioned on past pages of this posting?

I'll post it again.

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation/battery optimisation user tips link.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10344

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together.

DO NOT simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance/battery performance “cure all”.

Many of these tips are designed to work together to help improve overall iOS/iDevice and battery performance.

Good Luck!

Jan 12, 2020 7:39 PM in response to Madcitysmb

If no one posts feedback to Apple, they may not even be aware of this issue/problem.

The best you can do is alert Apple to this growing issue.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

Keep hammering the iPad feedback page.

You can post multiple feedback any time of any day!

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software updatdata

If no users post feeback or NOT ENOUGH users post feedback, Apple may not even be aware of this iPad issue.

Jan 17, 2020 11:56 AM in response to tomfromcanyon lake

You feel I am so flat out wrong, I would strongly advise you call and reach out to Apple Product support and service., in California.

Tap on the link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

See what Apple in CA will do the situation.

Good Luck!

Mar 19, 2020 6:36 AM in response to wayneers

Hello iPad Pro users - I've made a new post about this issue but I'll comment here as well - I've tried every single step and worked with an Apple adviser - battery time went from 20 hours to 4 hours - the adviser just washed her hands of it and said well buy a new device. This one is still new!! Barely two years old.

I did a complete factory restore from scratch - not from backup - and still no improvement.

Apple dropped the ball and left us iPad users with a brick. It is extremely disappointing.

Be sure to leave feedback for Apple every single day until they fix the problem. Good luck all.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Jun 30, 2020 12:46 PM in response to scryer

Everyone here affected by this iPad battery drain issues needs to keep alerting Apple on this issue.

This is the ONLY way to keep Apple aware of this issue.

This is only one of the few ways to directly contact Apple about ANY product issues.

iPad Feedback

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel, but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple, in California, is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

If no one posts OR CONTINUES TO POST regular feedback to Apple, Apple will have NO clue that there are any types of issues with their hardware or software products!

Also, I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

If you need to, if initial 1st tier Apple customer support is of no help to you, you can calmly ask to have this issue escalated up to more responsible, senior level Apple customer support employees to see if they can come up with a more amiable/amenable solution to this iPad battery drain issue, but I make no guarantees, whatsoever.

If need be, you can have your Apple iPad issues escalated all the way up to Apple engineering level customer support

Even if no acceptable resolution, Apple, AT LEAST, logs all support calls and issues.

Best of Luck to You!

Aug 16, 2020 1:03 PM in response to Rockulus

I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services, again!

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

If you need to, if initial 1st tier Apple customer support is of no help to you, you can calmly ask to have this issue escalated up to more responsible, senior level Apple customer support employees to see if they can come up with other possible advice/solutions to this iPad/iPadOS battery issue, but I make no guarantees, whatsoever.

If need be, you can have your iPad issues escalated all the way up the chain to Apple engineering level customer phone support.

Even if no acceptable resolution, Apple, AT LEAST, logs all support calls and issues.

Best of Luck to You!

Nov 11, 2019 6:02 PM in response to MichelPM

Similarly to SanJuett, I have taken numerous steps to help mitigate the battery issue.

• Multiple simple resets
  • Multiple hard resets
  • Reset Network Settings
  • Turned off location services for all apps
  • Turned off background access for all apps (I don’t understand why I would need to make this change when I was able to run background apps just fine prior to the update, but made the change none the less.
  • Force closed all apps
  • Actions taken in safari (closed all open tabs and never have more than a single tab open

Over the years I have come to expect decreased battery life after iOS upgrades, but this isn’t the typical drop by any means. I’m really hoping to avoid a full wipe / reset. I’ve also been told to not even bother with a reset and restore from backup as it seems to carry over any problems one is attempting to remedy.

Feb 15, 2020 10:53 PM in response to soart

new owner of an ipad pro 11 here. i'm also experiencing battery drain with safari being the culprit. woke up little more than an hour ago, the device had circa 52% battery left. now, after some light browsing i am down to 43%. i have background updates disabled, as well as location services, but it is clear according to the battery settings:

• from 6 to 7 am: 9min usage, 90% btry
  • from 7 to 8 am: 34min usage, 95% btry

in the last couple of minutes, whenever I checked, the battery was down 1% probably.

fun fact: started typing this post with 43% battery, as of now it's 42%. within minutes!

Severe battery drain, iOS 13.1.3, iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.