Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scaling UI - Resolution change makes it blurry

Because of my eye sight issues, I want to scale the global (all applications) user interface to ease reading menus and icons. I can scale the displays to a lower resolution which enlarges the screen content, but then everything is blurry. At the native resolution (2560 X 1440) everything is very sharp. On my Windows 10 computer, there is DPI scaling to fix this.

I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on a 2014 Mac Pro, AMD FirePro D700 6GB on three 27" Cinema thunderbolt displays.

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 12:54 PM

There is another thing you can try -- enable the Accessibility System Preferences pane to set the Zoom option "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom" and set the desired meta key (I use option) -- then hold down that meta key and use the scroll feature of your mouse to zoom in and out (what kind of mouse are you using).

Also suggest clicking the "Zoom follows the keyboard focus" so that you can zoom into wherever the screen cursor is currently located. Also suggest enabling the "Use keyboard shortcuts to zoom" and "Smooth images" setting also.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but not too much. It lets you quickly zoom in/out as desired but at the same time gives you full access to your high res display's full features. Unfortunately all three monitors will zoom in/out, so that's the downside. Perhaps there is some third-party utility that will let you zoom in/out on a single monitor?

Good luck...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2019 12:54 PM in response to Brian in PDX

There is another thing you can try -- enable the Accessibility System Preferences pane to set the Zoom option "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom" and set the desired meta key (I use option) -- then hold down that meta key and use the scroll feature of your mouse to zoom in and out (what kind of mouse are you using).

Also suggest clicking the "Zoom follows the keyboard focus" so that you can zoom into wherever the screen cursor is currently located. Also suggest enabling the "Use keyboard shortcuts to zoom" and "Smooth images" setting also.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but not too much. It lets you quickly zoom in/out as desired but at the same time gives you full access to your high res display's full features. Unfortunately all three monitors will zoom in/out, so that's the downside. Perhaps there is some third-party utility that will let you zoom in/out on a single monitor?

Good luck...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.