Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina and iPhone playlists. Where?

So, this upgrade of getting rid of itunes is just so backwards to me and certain things are very annoying.

I recently purchased a new macbook pro, so since this is my daily used computer that I can actually travel with, I wanted to sync it with this computer (why I had to delete all of my music I don't know, but on to the issue) So I sync it with the new computer.

I manually manage music from my collection of music I have been collecting since I was a child so I have a huge collection. To the point, I have playlists I added to my iphone 11 pro max, using the new music app. When clicking the phone in this app, I can see the songs, when going using my phone, I can see all of the music and all of the playlists, but where on earth do I see what playlists are on my phone, when I'm on the actual computer? I don't know what playlists are on the phone unless I check the phone, I can simply drag a song to a playlist on the computer because no menu is there under the phone like it was on itunes. Where are the playlists visible at on this new setup on Catalina?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 2:04 AM

I have the SAME exact problem. Apple screwed the pooch on this one! First of all, why mess with the way it worked in iTunes? Playlists with my music. Apparently, that's a concept. One would think Apple's "Music" app would contain ALL of the things "music" related, such as play lists. But nope. ONLY the things that are using their paid Music service will show up there, from what I can gather from the internet. The kicker is that IF you wanted to use their service the way they want you to, you will have to upload your ENTIRE music library to Apple's servers. and pay for that privilege after 90 days. If I did that, I'd also need to pay extra on my internet bill because it would blow my usage plan like the US's 1945 Trinity test.

My opinion is that Apple had to solve two problems: {Apple users want access like Windows/Linux users have to files on iDevices} .and. [Apple wants to replace cable TV, making another huge profit]. So, Finder has become what Windows/Linux users have been seeing forever: a half-hearted attempt to let users access their data, while keeping Apple in control of how you can access your data. Opening a Finder window is absolutely useless in this instance and was a standard response from a techie. Had the responding poster listed the steps on how to show you your playlists, then THAT would have been a proper answer to the OP's question. It's kinda like asking someone directions on a trip, them pulling out the state map and saying, "It's on here, somewheres..." as they point at the map. And then walk away.

The Music app is Apple's way of roping you into their media ecosystem, once again. iTunes must not be making enough money for Apple right now, because they sunk a bunch of money and time into this Apple TV fiasco. I have always noticed that when Apple comes out with something new, it's kinda like a skeleton with ONLY loose skin hanging off of it. Over time, it will eventually get "fleshed out" and become a proper entity. The interesting thing is that while you can still see the skeleton, you can also see where Apple is REALLY going with this new product/service. Eventually, the fleshy bits cover this up and hide the underlying skeleton, where upon most users/new users just accept that everything works great and Apple is a super-friendly company.

So, what was once a "semi-easy" thing to do (Apple can't make thing simple) is now a bastardized mess. ALL of those folks at Apple who build and test all of Apple's proprietary stuff and they can't even make it work before releasing it for public consumption. I am seriously thinking about dropping all 5 Mac computers, 3 iPads, and 2 iPhones and going back to Android/Linux. At least I KNOW I'm always going to have to be tinkering, but at a fraction of the price and headaches. AND I can even use my old Macs to run Linux!

Boy, do I miss Steve Jobs right now!!!

Similar questions

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2019 2:04 AM in response to YoungTechie

I have the SAME exact problem. Apple screwed the pooch on this one! First of all, why mess with the way it worked in iTunes? Playlists with my music. Apparently, that's a concept. One would think Apple's "Music" app would contain ALL of the things "music" related, such as play lists. But nope. ONLY the things that are using their paid Music service will show up there, from what I can gather from the internet. The kicker is that IF you wanted to use their service the way they want you to, you will have to upload your ENTIRE music library to Apple's servers. and pay for that privilege after 90 days. If I did that, I'd also need to pay extra on my internet bill because it would blow my usage plan like the US's 1945 Trinity test.

My opinion is that Apple had to solve two problems: {Apple users want access like Windows/Linux users have to files on iDevices} .and. [Apple wants to replace cable TV, making another huge profit]. So, Finder has become what Windows/Linux users have been seeing forever: a half-hearted attempt to let users access their data, while keeping Apple in control of how you can access your data. Opening a Finder window is absolutely useless in this instance and was a standard response from a techie. Had the responding poster listed the steps on how to show you your playlists, then THAT would have been a proper answer to the OP's question. It's kinda like asking someone directions on a trip, them pulling out the state map and saying, "It's on here, somewheres..." as they point at the map. And then walk away.

The Music app is Apple's way of roping you into their media ecosystem, once again. iTunes must not be making enough money for Apple right now, because they sunk a bunch of money and time into this Apple TV fiasco. I have always noticed that when Apple comes out with something new, it's kinda like a skeleton with ONLY loose skin hanging off of it. Over time, it will eventually get "fleshed out" and become a proper entity. The interesting thing is that while you can still see the skeleton, you can also see where Apple is REALLY going with this new product/service. Eventually, the fleshy bits cover this up and hide the underlying skeleton, where upon most users/new users just accept that everything works great and Apple is a super-friendly company.

So, what was once a "semi-easy" thing to do (Apple can't make thing simple) is now a bastardized mess. ALL of those folks at Apple who build and test all of Apple's proprietary stuff and they can't even make it work before releasing it for public consumption. I am seriously thinking about dropping all 5 Mac computers, 3 iPads, and 2 iPhones and going back to Android/Linux. At least I KNOW I'm always going to have to be tinkering, but at a fraction of the price and headaches. AND I can even use my old Macs to run Linux!

Boy, do I miss Steve Jobs right now!!!

Oct 24, 2019 8:06 PM in response to sberman

I dont want. my computer syncing anything unless I manually do it. I dont want to check boxes of what to sync and what not to sync. It used to be when you manually manage your music, you can just add and delete as you pleased. I don't want to set up for my computer to auto-sync anything just to change my music around. This is a step backwards. thats the point of having a "manually manage" option. Is so that you can manually manage it, but yet they limit what you can manually manage all of a sudden. Its simply playlists. Theres no reason why I should not be able to add/change/delete playlists on my phone from my mac. none

Jan 8, 2020 3:17 PM in response to YoungTechie

Here is my solution.

I forgot all about this topic, but in the last couple of days, I've been getting a bunch of email notifications of responses to it.

What I did, was I simply installed iTunes on Catalina, and I don't use the music app. I did so by using a program called retroactive.

I found this program by some quick research not too long after initially posting this thread as itunes remote also didnt work from my iphone at the time with the music app (it now does, but it doesnt matter because I still use iTunes due to the playlist capabilities)

you can read about retroactive here it allows you to install aperture, iPhoto, and iTunes, and its a free program. I didn't install the iphoto or aperture I only used it for it's itunes installation.

The website you can download it from is here, this link can also be found in the appleinsider link posted above. Just scroll down to where you see it says "click to download the retroactive app"

I hope this helps everyone, and even more so, I hope that Apple realizes what a huge mistake removing such an important ability from their ecosystem was and corrects it.

Oct 23, 2019 6:42 PM in response to sberman

You are corrrect, but if you have your setup to manually manage music, then they are all blacked out and can't be played with. none of those tabs are useful. In the music tab there is a playlist section, but it does nothing for me because I manually manage my music on my phone smh. Why would they remove the option of being able to change, create, add to, and delete from playlists on these devices from the computer? That makes literally no sense!

Dec 12, 2019 10:26 AM in response to YoungTechie

Apple user since 1992. What have you done to iTunes? I'm one of those idiots who can't see the point of putting my whole music library on my phone or in the cloud. I used to be able to easily select and modify different playlists from my computer. I can work around it on my iphone by re-importing, and then selecting recently added to a new playlist. I have an old iPod that I'm very attached to but can't do it with that unless I delete each song one by one and then re-import a new playlist. Weirdly when I drag and drop a playlist from the computer to the 15 year old iPod it shows it, so it's doing better than the iPhone in that respect. If anyone from Apple is listening...why have you done this????!!!! Maybe you're all to young now to remember that we like to have choices.

Jan 2, 2020 9:17 AM in response to YoungTechie

Totally silly to 'sync' your music to all devices etc. I also manually managed my music and now I'm afraid to connect my ipod containing eons of music - not only purchased on iTunes but also from A LOT of Cd's I have in my collection that I extracted in iTunes back in the day and put on my iPod - so now I'm stuck because this finder window is NOT HELPFUL AT ALL. I gave it a try on my iphone which had only like 50 songs on it anyway and it's all gone. On top of that I am a singer so I record my own songs and have to listen to demo's and only parts of songs that I'm sent and now ALL those versions are synced to my iphone, so I have one song in 50 versions some of which 5 seconds long etc. This is not user-friendly at all Apple! Come on! WHat happened to user-friendliest, no-crashes, keeps on ticking forever??

Jan 7, 2020 2:02 PM in response to YoungTechie

I have about 100,000 songs on my Mac and syncing is a cumbersome concept. I used to be able to use iTunes to create and manage playlists on my iPhone with ease. Now, with Catalina and the Music app I can't. How easy it used to be to see all the content and playlists on my iPods/iPhones and manage/manipulate them manually. Now all that is gone. Sad.

I am downright angered at Apple for purposely crippling the managing of music on my IOS devices using my iMac. They likely do this to coerce us to use their streaming service. I use Spotify and will NEVER use Apple Music as I feel Apple is being unethical in its diabolical scheme to cripple music management on Macs so as to force users to subscribe to Apple Music.

Steve Jobs is crying somewhere ...

Catalina and iPhone playlists. Where?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.