Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slideshow in Photos

In the application Photos, I created an album of photos and videos, all of which I retrieved from my iPhone 8. After selecting all these items, I try to make a slideshow by selecting that option from the pulldown file menu. A small window opens that says it is downloading my photos. Why do the photos need to be downloaded? There are 388 and when that window is finished a small window opens that says,

"An internet connection is required to download larger versions of these items for creating a slideshow."

I am on the internet. I am never not on the internet.

When I click OK an error message window opens that says,

Error downloading slideshow photos.

An error occurred while downloading one or more photos for the slideshow. Please try again later.

I have tried this a half dozen times with the exact same result.

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 2:24 PM

Yes. It would be quicker if you were to create a new, empty library and set it to be the System Photos Library. Also enable iCloud Photos but not Optimize Mac Storage. This will force a download of all of the full sized image file in your iCloud library to your Mac. There will be no comparing to exclude duplicates so it will go faster.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2019 2:24 PM in response to Dennis Taylor

Yes. It would be quicker if you were to create a new, empty library and set it to be the System Photos Library. Also enable iCloud Photos but not Optimize Mac Storage. This will force a download of all of the full sized image file in your iCloud library to your Mac. There will be no comparing to exclude duplicates so it will go faster.

Oct 27, 2019 5:50 PM in response to Dennis Taylor

The downloading finished today but it did not help. I created a new folder of pictures but when I tried to make a slideshow, the exact same thing happens. It still wants to download photos and says I need an internet connection and that the procedure could not be done. I looked in my pictures folder and I have two photo libraries there, but they are both the same size, 24 GB. If one of them contained larger items, it should be a lot bigger than the other. This is pretty frustrating. I was skeptical of using the cloud and now I'm really regretting it.

Oct 29, 2019 12:00 PM in response to Old Toad

The downloading took almost two days but it is finished. Unfortunately it did not help. I created a new folder of pictures but when I tried to make a slideshow, the exact same thing happens. It still wants to download photos and says I need an internet connection and that the procedure could not be done. I looked in my pictures folder and I have two photo libraries there, but they are both the same size, 24 GB. If one of them contained larger items, it should be a lot bigger than the other. This is pretty frustrating.

Slideshow in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.