Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

-50 error with old itunes

So I redownloaded an older version of iTunes (12.6.3.6) onto windows 10 computer, because I wanted to browse the app store. However, whenever I try to sign in using my Apple id, I get the error "There was a temporary problem completing your request. An Unknown Error occurred (-50)."

The issue goes away if I completely remove iTunes 12.6 and install iTunes 12.10. I was able to successfully sign in with iTunes 12.10, but I don't really care, since I can't use the App store. After I had 12.10 installed, I completely uninstalled it, then reinstalled 12.6. I could see my apple id logged in on iTunes, but when I tried to download an "older" app and it asked for password verification, at which point it refused to log me in with the same error message.

I tried with iTunes 12.4 as well, and got the same problem. Is there anyone else with the same issue?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 6:40 PM

23 replies

Oct 30, 2019 7:50 PM in response to MuhammadMuhidiin

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version (or 12.6.5.3) if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Dec 19, 2019 8:53 AM in response to SerdarBradosti

SerdarBradosti wrote:

apple has turned off app store section of itunes :(

That is certainly true for all iTunes versions newer than 12.6.5.3. However, louver's issue was that iTunes versions older than 12.6.5.3 (for example, 12.6.3.6) can no longer sign in. An interesting question is whether 12.6.5.3 can still manage apps for devices running iOS 13: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250753301.

Jan 9, 2020 4:31 AM in response to JagSingh007

JagSingh007 wrote:

Alright, so has anyone found the solution to this?...."There was a temporary problem completing your request. An unknown error occurred (-50) Try again later"....this was the only way left for me to get apps onto the device. You really think you're going to get me to upgrade, Apple? Nope. Never again.

I don't work for Apple, but your error message suggests that you are still trying to use an older version of iTunes that is no longer supported by the iTunes Store. The wording of your error message also suggests to me that you are not running Windows XP or Vista, so a solution is possible in your case: Install a version of iTunes that is still supported by the store. You need an iTunes version that can not only sign in, but also manage apps? There is now only ONE version that matches your requirements: iTunes 12.6.5.3. You need a download link? Try https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6562#versions. If you should find a better solution, please let us know!

Oct 30, 2019 3:45 PM in response to louver

Hello Mr.Louver

I hope that you found a way to solve this problem, I spent the last two weeks trying to fix this problem and i couldn't, I try everything from reinstalling Itunes and even my operating system, I move from windows 10 to windows 7 but nothing happen,

I did many thing but non of them work with me.

I hope you will inform me if you found solution for it.

Thanks.

Dec 19, 2019 10:22 AM in response to Johnny DEP

In principle the answer is yes. I've just connected my iPhone 11 to 12.6.5.3 and I was able to rearrange screens, move and add apps, however when I came to apply I went into a reauthorization loop that I could only escape by removing my device. I suspect that is as a result of having some Apple Arcade apps on my device since one was listed in the error, and these may well behave differently. I wasn't prepared to have the apps removed just to test things, but I've a feeling if I had the other changes I'd made would have been applied.

tt2

Jan 9, 2020 12:08 AM in response to Johnny DEP

Alright, so has anyone found the solution to this? Major billions of dollars corporation can kill anything they want, including find a way to quietly kill an entire desktop version of the app store and leave behind the most cryptic response ever "There was a temporary problem completing your request. An unknown error occurred (-50) Try again later".

Really, Apple? And our furious Google search attempts only bring up 10 people asking the question, as if we are the only users that care? Really? Nice work with perception, but in reality, the common folk will just blame themselves for this.

Meanwhile I am stuck with an ipad that doesn't have wifi working, and this was the only way left for me to get apps onto the device. You really think you're going to get me to upgrade, Apple? Nope. Never again.

-50 error with old itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.