Question:

Question: El Capitan. no packages were eligible for install.

Hi guys and gals!!

Been having a weird trouble lately. I've got a macbook pro 3.1 that was working alright but I bought a newer one so I took the SSD and did a swap between the 2. Problem is I wiped the hard drive that is now in my old Macbook before selling it and whatever I do I get this error:

Os x could not be installed on you computer. No packages were eligible for install.

What i did so far:

-I rebuilt another usb drive from a new El Capitan freshly downloaded from the App store.

-I formatted the hard drive, again.

-I re tried to install but still the same.

-I then held command+r and tried to install from there but I get the same issue.

-I then found a guide to adjust date and time but it was already correct.

-Reset SMC and PRAM and restarted the whole process.

-I tried to install on an external usb drive but still the same.

At this point I'm out of ideas...

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Charlee,

Don't use date to set the correct date, just set the date back to when the certificate was valid. Sometime mid-2017 should be safe. Try that & tell us what happens.

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 26, 2019 3:58 AM in response to Charlee78 In response to Charlee78

Took me forever to figure this out and ive got it dialed in and want to help people with the same issue it happens every time you do a clean restore

no usb needed

1. use disk utility and clean drive you will install on...
  2. Connect to a wifi or plug in ethernet and download os x (second option I believe ..) It will download and then try to install itself and then fail with no packages were eligible message with option to restart ....
  3. shut off wifi (top right) or unplug ethernet cord
  4. go to utilities -terminal- type this and only this, date 0115124517
  5. it will show new date with new time it should be jan 1 12:45 2017
  6. now hit restart ( wifi will reconnect automatically)- if using ethernet hit reset and connect ethernet cord

——it will now do its thing and you will notice a different screen then previous—- thank you for everyones input I figured a simplified straight to the point version would be beneficial to everyone- no usb needed

Oct 28, 2019 3:35 PM in response to Charlee78 In response to Charlee78

There are newer instructions and steps available in Apple installer page for use.

• How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

There is a newer installer in the above; this also upgrades firmware.

newer installosxinstaller.pkg package within download site link

(this site content + link was recently updated 24 Oct 2019)

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 28, 2019 3:35 PM in response to Charlee78 In response to Charlee78

There are newer instructions and steps available in Apple installer page for use.

• How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

There is a newer installer in the above; this also upgrades firmware.

newer installosxinstaller.pkg package within download site link

(this site content + link was recently updated 24 Oct 2019)

Oct 28, 2019 3:35 PM

Reply Helpful (5)

Oct 29, 2019 1:54 PM in response to GeoShifter In response to GeoShifter

GeoShifter:

Once you've gotten to re-setting the date, the 'manual

setting' allows you to later reset the date & time, too.

So it can be actual time, but not automatic to local zone.

+ others:

This is child's play compared to being locked into the

former system. If these older macs could use Internet

Recovery, and start from there (assuming the physical

connections were correct and proper format used, etc)

As that implies, the utilities online would be used to

reformat (a)new storage drive (SSD or HDD) to work.

To use a bootable USB installer requires the terminal

command line to get correct macOS installers to use

that USB-flash, stick, or external drive. If compatible.

This is not something I do every year, but then I have

clones on boot-capable external hard drives; my newer

Mac (Late 2012 quad core mini server) has Time Machine

too. ~ However I've previous experience with hundreds of

Mac installations (antiques?) & refurbished 500+ to donate.

Hopefully someone with recent experience can interject

ideas; that is most difficult without a physical presence.

Sorry to not be helpful; and due to offline time constraint

and obligation I'm unfollowing this and other discussions.

Good luck & happy computing! 🌞🍀🌤🌍

Oct 29, 2019 1:54 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 31, 2019 3:27 PM in response to Charlee78 In response to Charlee78

I have this same problem as well. Tried everything mentioned under this topic. No progress. When I change the system date and try to download the installer I get an error message that tells me to try running the installer again. I can only get by this error by setting the date to current date and time. When I download the installer, I get the same error message

Os x could not be installed on you computer. No packages were eligible for install.

SInce I did a Time Machine backup before erasing my disk, tried reinstalling everything from Time Machine. When system boots, the system hangs during the boot-up. Ran Disk First AId. Looks like to ran OK. Tells me I have a Journaled HFS Plus Volume ( GUID partition map). Disc First AId didn't appear to improve my situation - still hanging on boot up.

Open to suggestions - what to do now?

Oct 31, 2019 3:27 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 2, 2019 12:50 PM in response to helder98 In response to helder98

As Narcinems noted, I change the date, download the installer and get as far as the screen to start installation, whereupon I get an error message that tells me to start all over again - and when I do I get the same issue. The only way to bypass that error is to set the date to today's date and I did try a couple of suggested dates from 2016 through 2018. So, still stuck with a laptop that was working that is now imitating a brick.

for Helder98 - when you get to therecovery screen - one of the dropdown menu tools is a command line window. if you type "date" you'll see whatever date your systems thinks it is. You can change the date by typing "date mmddhhmmyy" i.e month day hour minute year two digits each

Nov 2, 2019 12:50 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Nov 2, 2019 12:54 PM in response to pdenyer In response to pdenyer

I might ask if anyone knows how I can run the installer manually - from the command line I can cd to /Volumes and see my main hard drive and the downloaded dmg file "Install OS X El Capitan" . If I could run the installer from the downloaded file, I'd saver about 2 hours for these tests and not download that installer file over and over.

Nov 2, 2019 12:54 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 2, 2019 12:59 PM in response to pdenyer In response to pdenyer

also, a interesting thought - is the El Capitan download different for a Mac Mini vs a MacBook Pro laptop? When I start the installer download, it asks me to log in with my AppleID - If I login as myself, I have downloaded El Capitan as an upgrade to my Mini, but until this point not with a Mac laptop. JUst a thought. I will see if I can login with my daughter's AppleID and see if that makes a difference. Probably not but I'm clutching at straws

Nov 2, 2019 12:59 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: Charlee78

Question: El Capitan. no packages were eligible for install.