Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan. no packages were eligible for install.

Hi guys and gals!!

Been having a weird trouble lately. I've got a macbook pro 3.1 that was working alright but I bought a newer one so I took the SSD and did a swap between the 2. Problem is I wiped the hard drive that is now in my old Macbook before selling it and whatever I do I get this error:

Os x could not be installed on you computer. No packages were eligible for install.

What i did so far:

-I rebuilt another usb drive from a new El Capitan freshly downloaded from the App store.

-I formatted the hard drive, again.

-I re tried to install but still the same.

-I then held command+r and tried to install from there but I get the same issue.

-I then found a guide to adjust date and time but it was already correct.

-Reset SMC and PRAM and restarted the whole process.

-I tried to install on an external usb drive but still the same.

At this point I'm out of ideas...

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 3:58 AM

Took me forever to figure this out and ive got it dialed in and want to help people with the same issue it happens every time you do a clean restore

no usb needed

1. use disk utility and clean drive you will install on...
  2. Connect to a wifi or plug in ethernet and download os x (second option I believe ..) It will download and then try to install itself and then fail with no packages were eligible message with option to restart ....
  3. shut off wifi (top right) or unplug ethernet cord
  4. go to utilities -terminal- type this and only this, date 0115124517
  5. it will show new date with new time it should be jan 1 12:45 2017
  6. now hit restart ( wifi will reconnect automatically)- if using ethernet hit reset and connect ethernet cord

——it will now do its thing and you will notice a different screen then previous—- thank you for everyones input I figured a simplified straight to the point version would be beneficial to everyone- no usb needed

Similar questions

283 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 3:58 AM in response to Charlee78

Took me forever to figure this out and ive got it dialed in and want to help people with the same issue it happens every time you do a clean restore

no usb needed

2. Connect to a wifi or plug in ethernet and download os x (second option I believe ..) It will download and then try to install itself and then fail with no packages were eligible message with option to restart ....
  6. now hit restart ( wifi will reconnect automatically)- if using ethernet hit reset and connect ethernet cord

——it will now do its thing and you will notice a different screen then previous—- thank you for everyones input I figured a simplified straight to the point version would be beneficial to everyone- no usb needed

Nov 3, 2019 5:17 AM in response to Marcinems

Here's the video that helped me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awUYJIUYzTU

What I did is this:

1. Load the installer until you can go to the utilities and run disk utility.
  2. Erase the disk as Mac os extended (Journaled)
  3. Close disk utility.
  4. Open terminal and use the same method as shown in the video with mid 2017 date.
  5. Shutdown laptop and reset SMC.
  6. Restart the installer and try to install El Capitan.

Dec 4, 2019 11:54 AM in response to Charlee78

Thanks for that tip. Also you have to make sure you will disable WIFI not to change date automatically.

To do that press option key on keyboard and click wifi with your left button.

Thank find your WIFI network name and just underneath it, there will be new line called 'Disconnect from (your name) network.

Click that and hit restart. Make sure when Mac will reboot WIFI is still dibbled in top right corner.

Oct 28, 2019 3:35 PM in response to Charlee78

There are newer instructions and steps available in Apple installer page for use.

• How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

There is a newer installer in the above; this also upgrades firmware.

newer installosxinstaller.pkg package within download site link

(this site content + link was recently updated 24 Oct 2019)

Nov 2, 2019 12:50 PM in response to helder98

As Narcinems noted, I change the date, download the installer and get as far as the screen to start installation, whereupon I get an error message that tells me to start all over again - and when I do I get the same issue. The only way to bypass that error is to set the date to today's date and I did try a couple of suggested dates from 2016 through 2018. So, still stuck with a laptop that was working that is now imitating a brick.

for Helder98 - when you get to therecovery screen - one of the dropdown menu tools is a command line window. if you type "date" you'll see whatever date your systems thinks it is. You can change the date by typing "date mmddhhmmyy" i.e month day hour minute year two digits each

May 16, 2020 1:23 PM in response to jmaiers

Macbook Pro 15" (mid 2015) - I've tried everything in this thread so far and nothing is working.

@jmaiers, when I follow your instructions, I run into a problem at step #2, when I receive a message "Can't download the additional components needed to install OS X" and cannot go any further.

I've also tried bootable USB created with this instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 as well as an older bootable USB I created in 2017. Have tried date changes ranging from 2015 - 2019. No luck.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Dec 30, 2019 9:13 AM in response to Charlee78

And a Happy Thank You for this information. I used jmaiers directions with complete success. The only difference i used was to leave the ethernet cable disconnected until install was complete. Thanks to all others for additional help.

no usb needed

Jan 14, 2020 11:11 AM in response to Charlee78

1. Boot El Capitan installer from your bootable USB drive.
  2. Before pressing anything, move your mouse to the top left and locate ( Terminal ).
  3. Open Terminal and set date by typing ( date 0101010116 ) command. Press enter.
  4. This should have changed the date clock to 2016.
  5. Close Terminal and continue the installation process. ENJOY!

Apple software releases are a mixed bag — the old installers aren’t available officially for easily fixing this kind of problem, there are some security mechanisms or just something that prevent users to fix by ourselves, and even I don’t want to fix it myself, their own services just don’t fix it.

Here's the link I learned and fixed the problem from.

https://medium.com/@mixth/a-journey-of-reinstall-el-capitan-in-macbook-mid-2009-a140743a0d15

Mar 16, 2020 5:19 AM in response to yeni_torres

yeni_torres... this is the info I back in Dec. the solution worked for me after 2 weeks of fighting to get it reinstalled. I hope this helps with your installation.

And a Happy Thank You for this information. I used jmaiers directions with complete success. The only difference i used was to leave the ethernet cable disconnected until install was complete. Thanks to all others for additional help.

no usb needed

May 29, 2020 8:53 PM in response to Charlee78

Had this issue and it drove me nuts, one comment helped me but still didn't work since, here was my list i followed

1. use disk utility and make new user disk, ex "Mac HD"
  2. Connect to a wifi or plug in ethernet and download os x It will download and then try to install itself then itll turn off then boot back up and hit you with that error saying contact apple and stuff and give option to restart
  3. shut off wifi (top right) or unplug ethernet cord AND make sure you hold option on key board when you click wifi and click disconnect from your wifi AND then TURN OFF WIFI
  5. and Press ENTER
  6. now hit restart
  7. it'll continue downloading

notice when it starts it'll look a little different then before :)

Dec 7, 2020 9:39 PM in response to Charlee78

I did the steps as previous comments, but found I have to disable the wifi after changed the date to 2017. I did some minor changes based on previous comments and it works for me.

no usb needed

6. (modified) I changed the wifi password, so that the macbook will not be able to connect to the network after the reboot. Actually wifi is not required in the next step because all required packages have been downloaded. If still connected to the network, the system time will be reset to the real time after reboot
  7. now hit restart ( wifi will reconnect automatically, but failed due to the wrong wifi password remembered previously)- if using ethernet , please pull out the cable

P.S. you should change the wifi password back when the installation goes to the step asking for the user info, the internet is required now

El Capitan. no packages were eligible for install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.