Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth audio problems Catalina

I've updated to Catalina and I'm not experiencing a lot of problems, but one problem in particular and it annoys me a lot.

I'm always using Bluetooth headphones or speakers on my Mac to listen to music.

The problem is that the sound to my output device randomly drops to zero. First I thought it lost connection but when I go to Bluetooth Settings it's still there and connected. When I go to Audio settings the device is still there and selected. So I push the volume-up button and the output device instantly changes to internal speakers and the sound is being played through my speakers instead of my Bluetooth connected device. When I look at the Bluetooth Settings again, the headphones are still connected. So it looks like an audio-codec-driver-software-hardware(or whatever it is)-problem instead of an Bluetooth problem. My Bluetooth apple mouse stays connected and keeps working.

The problem, as described above, appears randomly. Sometimes 3 or 4 times spread over the day, sometimes 4 or 5 times within an hour, sometimes 2 times within a minute! Very annoying.

The quickest way to solve the problem ad hoc is to disconnect and connect the Bluetooth device again through the top at Bluetooth settings.

I'm using different devices and each of them have the same problem;

- Apple AirPods 2

- Steelseries Arctis Wireless Pro

- Jbl charge 3

I've already deleted the Bluetooth folder in Library and rebooted my Mac.

I've already forgot the devices and reconnected everything.

I've already turned off and on my Bluetooth on my Mac

I've already turned off my Bluetooth on my phone (thought maybe this caused the problems but.. unfortunately no..)

Is there anyone with the same problems or does anyone has any ideas to fix this extremely annoying problem?

It looks like this problem appeared eversince I've updated my device to Catalina.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 11:16 PM

380 replies

Feb 11, 2020 4:36 AM in response to Bunkface

I have the same issue with Sony WH1000-XM3 on MBA (13", early 2015) Catalina (10.15.3). I guess I have solved this temporarily. The disconnection might be caused by the software interference. The process is as follows:

1. install Bluetooth Explorer from apple deveploper website, which contains in Addtional tools for XCode. (No need to install XCode if you don't have it)
  2. Start Bluetooth Explorer, Utilities -> Event log (shortcut: ⇧+⌘+0)
  3. You can moniter for a while with bluetooth headphone connected. There might be some error log appear in the logging window, something like,
Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in()
  • If you can identify the cause of the error log, fix it. Otherwise, you can use EtreCheck to assist you locate the cause of the error.

(For my case, I have two major error log, a) shadowsocks-NG, which persists with a plist file to start after I uninstalled it, b) Google chrome updater looking for a full path located in an older user path which I've changed the name.)

• After eliminating these errors, the event log will looks clear as follows:
Process: Bluetooth Explorer 7.0.0
Operating System: Version 10.15.3 (Build 19D76)
Date: 2020-02-11 08:41:59 +0000

PS: FYI, I also enable force use of aptX via Bluetooth Explorer as gmrandazzo suggested in another thread.

Oct 29, 2019 12:42 AM in response to Bunkface

Just comment for inform another issue too

I have similar problem with Catalina bluetooth while using Bose QC35 II. The bluetooth still connected, but sound changed to internal speaker. And other problem, while my iPhone XR (iOS 13.1.3) and my QC35 II connected to my Macbook Air 13" together, the sound will stutter till I disconnect my iPhone XR

Oct 29, 2019 8:09 AM in response to Bunkface

I'm also having this issue, it's completely annoying.

I constantly use bluetooth audio devices (Airpods, Bose QC II and a bluetooth speaker).

They keep getting disconnected after a few minutes using them, and worse, I work remotely so I had a lot of issues during important work calls, while using Hangouts, if this disconnection bug happens, you don't have other option than restarting your browser to make your mic work again. I had this problem 4 times during a 30 minute work call, totally embarrassing and annoying.

I wanted to downgrade to Mojave but it takes lots of time (backup, bootable installer, uninstalling Catalina, installing Mojave).

Please, as Bunkface mentioned on his comment: if you have this same problem, click on "I have this problem too" so this issue get's Apple attention.

Dec 20, 2019 6:50 PM in response to Bunkface

Hey, just wanted to provide an update that i'm part of the Beta for 10.15.3 that just came out, and it appears that this update finally has the fix for this issue. Immediately noticed my headphones we're connected better as soon as I updated, and for the past 3 days, there has been 0 issues with disconnection. As of now, it appears apple finally handled this issue in 10.15.3

Nov 21, 2019 3:58 AM in response to GF95

Visit https://support.apple.com/mac then choose your mac type, then scroll to the bottom to find "Tell us how we can help". There, choose "internet & connectivity" (or something like that - it redirects me to my native language, so yours may be named differently). You'll be presented with an option to schedule a call with Apple employee. They're very friendly and thorough in my experience. As has been said, refer to this discussion thread, to make them aware that it's not a singular issue.

Jan 16, 2020 3:27 PM in response to d_fuser

I have been having this issue, and also another one to do with Photos.

I have submitted both of them as issues through Apple support, using serial number from my 2014 macbook air.

I got quick and useful responses for both, using chat and phone response. Not all resolved, but they are definitely helpful and willing to pursue and escalate the issues. Response times are amazingly fast.

Interestingly, they always check for previous similar issues issues, and they tell me that there are very few. They don't monitor these chat groups with any regularity, so if you have a problem, its much better to go to the real deal technicians!

Go to https://support.apple.com/en-ca/contact

Feb 18, 2020 10:48 PM in response to GF95

Hi GF95,

The issue is completely fixed for me now.

For some reason I investigated the Bluetooth 5.0 and AAC codec because I thought you were using Apple Airpod (second generation), but re-reading I see there is no mention of airpods. Anyway, here is what I found (which is possibly irrelevant to your case).

Apple Airpod second generation uses the "H1" chip. This is a "digital signal processor" and as such it needs software to make it do stuff. After considerable looking, it turns out H1 *only* has the AAC codec according to this article ( https://www.androidauthority.com/apple-h1-979713/ ).

If you have Airpods and the disconnection issue, then disabling the AAC codec will effectively disconnect them because (it is claimed) there is no other codec.

I then checked the Bluetooth 5.0 specification ( https://3pl46c46ctx02p7rzdsvsg21-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Bluetooth_5-FINAL.pdf and it turns out there is no mandatory codec specified in that document.

However, examining the relevant A2DP standard from bluetooth.com ( https://www.bluetooth.org/docman/handlers/downloaddoc.ashx?doc_id=457083 ) in section 4.2.1 it is clearly stated that "The A2DP mandates low complexity subband codec (SBC) to ensure the interoperability."

From my current understanding, even with Bluetooth 5.0 devices, A2DP compatibility is required.

Apple's documentation Accessory Design Guidelines for Apple Devices ( https://developer.apple.com/accessories/Accessory-Design-Guidelines.pdf ) in section 24.12 Audio Routing states "This section describes how an accessory can differentiate between various audio contents coming from a device and use this information to decide playback behavior." and goes on to say (in 24.12.2) that "Audio content transferred via A2DP profiles can " etc. etc.

So Apple audio devices should support A2DP and as such "must" support SBC or else such devices are non-compliant.

.... all of which doesn't solve the problem.

Essentially disabling AAC worked for me, but effectively some devices don't have SBC (and don't comply with the Bluetooth standard).

Jul 19, 2020 11:46 PM in response to Bunkface

Hi I am experiencing similar issue too. My JBL Flip 5 has static sounds when I am connecting Magic Mouse and Keyboard to my 2019 MacBook Pro 13". There are error messages of "Too many outstanding packets. Drop packet of 7 frames (total drops:1990 total sent:112781 percentDropped:1.733888) Outstanding:17" and "Error sending audio packet: 0xe00002e8" on bluetoothaudiod.AudioProtocol.

I am on macOS Catalina 10.15.6.

Nov 11, 2019 10:03 AM in response to fortezhuo

I faced a similar issue to this too, after upgrading to macOS Catalina. After switching on the Bose QC35 II, it will connect but the sound continued to go through the internal speakers. So, paying a visit to Preferences, it would hang after clicking into Sound. After a while the headset would disconnect and then Preferences would become responsive again.

Did the usual diagnostics:

1. Restart the laptop and switch off the headset and back on
  2. Removed the device from the list of Bluetooth connections and pair it all over again
  3. Make sure my phone was not connected to the headset
  4. Found a firmware update for the headset

No joy

Nov 13, 2019 4:35 AM in response to Bunkface

I am also experiencing this issue. All Apple bluetooth devices are connecting just fine (magic mouse, trackpad) but other non Apple products are not:

• Jabra Move headphones
  • JBL Charge 3 speaker

Before installing Catalina OS, bluetooth worked fine with any device.

I've deleted the bluetooth file from Library/Preferences, rebooted, shut down, toggled bluetooth on and off nothing works. Now is does not even connect to the devices mentioned above, only to the Apple ones. The message is "connection rejected"...

Any solutions to this?

Bluetooth audio problems Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.