Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS13.1.3 - Can Apps override WiFi to use Cellular ?

Following the iOS 13 release, I've started to notice some Apps issuing an alert box saying that Cellular data is not enabled for them, even though I'm sitting right next to my in-house WiFi AP. As an example, the "BBC News" App does this.

So wondering why ?

Has anyone else noticed this ?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 8:22 AM

I normally keep that off, but it looks to have been one of the settings post-upgrade that got switched back (& I missed noticing it). I have now turned it off again, and let's see what happens. I somewhat suspect, that you are right.

5 replies

Oct 28, 2019 8:08 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

If the connection was poor, why would it work fine flawlessly afterwards without restarting ?

What I've experienced is akin to an Electricity brownout, but happens noticeably post iOS 13 -before, unless when I was out of the house out of range of my inhouse WiFi. Though your advice on the reboots, is good common-practice, which is why I have an overnight reboot scheduled in the really early hours.

It just seems that WiFi is being randomly being dropped with iOS13, so I'm wondering if any others have experienced the same ?

Oct 28, 2019 8:17 AM in response to svaardt

Go to Settings/cellular, scroll to the bottom and turn off Wi-Fi Assist. This is a feature that will switch to cellular if it is faster than Wi-Fi.

There are some apps that require cellular data, but they are all built in, such as Visual Voicemail and MMS messaging. And you won't receive notifications if cellular data is off. But no 3rd party apps should require cellular data.

iOS13.1.3 - Can Apps override WiFi to use Cellular ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.