Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macos catalina 10.15 vpn connection (Cisco IPSec?) duplicated icon in menu dock

The problem is on the screenshots below.

1. Only one (Automatic) network location
  2. Four network interfaces: Ethernet, WIFI, work (VPN), private (VPN).
  3. Problem: on VPN icon from menu dock drop down list Cisco VPN interface (work) is duplicated.

Recreating VPN interface (Cisco IPSec) even withe different name doesn't help.

The second problem is that after deleting Cisco IPSec connection, I get a empty list in a drop down menu even if other VPN connections exist (e.g. IKEv2).

Anybody with same problem?

Any ideas how to fix?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 12:46 PM

45 replies

Nov 3, 2019 6:41 AM in response to 91koff

Hello 91koff,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking about Network Locations.

I recommend creating a new network location and testing. One of your screenshots shows the option to Edit Locations, in there tap Edit, and then change the name to a new location, such as Work or Home or Mobile and test. This article should help: How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

If the new location is working, use the bottom portion of the article to prevent the other network that isn't working properly from being used. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Nov 4, 2019 7:27 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Joseph_S

Thanks for reply.

I've already tied this with no success. Behaviour of the VPN menu bar is unpredictable. Look also at new screenshots. Sometimes all connections in menu bar disappears.

All possible options:

1. Everything looks like it should be
  2. Duplicated Cisco IPSec connection (work)
  3. Only one VPN connection without all other options including system's.

Apr 11, 2020 2:12 PM in response to panda1988

I have a brand new 16" Macbook Pro, running Catalina 10.15.4. I have not seen the duplicated VPNs but I do constantly see the truncated menu in the VPN Status widget in the menu bar. Although sometimes it shows the proper VPN menu, mostly it does not, and as a result, connecting a VPN almost always requires opening network preferences and selecting the VPN there. This is annoying, and requires extra mousing around, but is not a fatal problem. I do a lot of work with VPNs (I have about 20 I bounce around between at various times) hence the annoyance factor is huge. Please fix this Apple. Please!!!

May 27, 2020 7:35 PM in response to plein44

Beyond the prior "glitchiness" of this menu, it now seems that all of my VPN connections have stopped working after doing the 10.15.5 update. I've tried recreating the connections but none of them are able to connect (I work in IT and need to use these connections daily). Thanks Apple!

Am going to report this and the other menu display glitches as a bug and pray Apple fix them.

Jun 16, 2020 2:32 PM in response to 91koff

It has been like this for a while with the duplicates. Lately I've also started seeing "No VPN configured" from time to time using the drop down menu, which could be related to this; I'm not sure.

It's annoying for sure, but the duplicate bug har been only cosmetic, the newer stuff with no entries is fixed the same way but far more annoying as you have to enter the network configuration to get your VPNs back.

macos catalina 10.15 vpn connection (Cisco IPSec?) duplicated icon in menu dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.