Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Install OS after Wiping the drive.

I’m using a MacBook Pro 2017. I erased the MacBook a couple days ago with disk utility. Then I tried reinstalling the OS. If I regularly try booting the computer I girl the circle with the he line through it. I have done each of the following in an attempt to reinstall the OS

Created a successful bootable drive with Mac OS Catalina and tried booting from that drive. The MacBook recognizes the drive however gives me the circle with the line through it once I select that bootable drive.

I’ve tried installing the OS from internet recovery, however the MAC will fully download the software and then right at the end it will say “An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." 

I have tried resetting the smc, and pram 1000 times. I’ve tried adjusting the date and time in the terminal. I’ve tried performing first aid on my drive and I just get an error. Absolutely nothing is working. And I’m convinced that only the apply store can fix this. Btw there is no physical damage. The laptop was working perfectly Before i wiped it.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 12:13 PM

First does your laptop qualify for this free Apple repair program for SSD issues:

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service

FYI, here is a list of the currently publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products. The 2017 laptop has several repair programs available for it.

https://support.apple.com/exchange_repair

When you booted into Internet Recovery Mode and erased the drive did you erase the physical drive or just the "Macintosh HD" volume? You may need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show all devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. It should be the top most option shown designated something like "Apple SSD ....". Erase the drive as GUID partition and APFS (the top option).

To eliminate any possible WiFi issues you should connect the computer directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and adapter for a faster and more reliable connection.

You can also try reinstalling the original OS for the laptop using Internet Recovery Mode. Use the following keys to force Internet Recovery Mode to boot to the older macOS installer: Command + Option + Shift + R. You should erase the physical drive as I described earlier.

FYI, I have had issues recently creating bootable macOS USB installers from recently downloaded installers. I've never had problems before, but now I've had multiple issues where even some third party apps are not correctly creating the installer for me. Maybe try creating a bootable Mojave or High Sierra USB installer.

If you continue to have issues installing macOS you may want to take the laptop to an Apple Store to be examined.

Good luck.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 12:13 PM in response to Bigbossmike

First does your laptop qualify for this free Apple repair program for SSD issues:

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service

FYI, here is a list of the currently publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products. The 2017 laptop has several repair programs available for it.

https://support.apple.com/exchange_repair

When you booted into Internet Recovery Mode and erased the drive did you erase the physical drive or just the "Macintosh HD" volume? You may need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show all devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. It should be the top most option shown designated something like "Apple SSD ....". Erase the drive as GUID partition and APFS (the top option).

To eliminate any possible WiFi issues you should connect the computer directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and adapter for a faster and more reliable connection.

You can also try reinstalling the original OS for the laptop using Internet Recovery Mode. Use the following keys to force Internet Recovery Mode to boot to the older macOS installer: Command + Option + Shift + R. You should erase the physical drive as I described earlier.

FYI, I have had issues recently creating bootable macOS USB installers from recently downloaded installers. I've never had problems before, but now I've had multiple issues where even some third party apps are not correctly creating the installer for me. Maybe try creating a bootable Mojave or High Sierra USB installer.

If you continue to have issues installing macOS you may want to take the laptop to an Apple Store to be examined.

Good luck.

Cannot Install OS after Wiping the drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.