Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to reinstall OS but Can't

Hi,

My Macbook suddenly started working very slow. Then I formatted the system and tried to reinstall it. After completing 80% installation, it gave error "Some settings couldn't be downloaded". My internet connection was fine. Still I tried to reinstall again. But got same error again.

When I checked the dist utility from recovery mode, there was an error "this drive has a hardware problem that can't be repaired".

But when I ran diagnostic it didn't find any problem.

Now there is no OS in my system, getting same issue again and again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Shipra

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 9:33 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 22, 2020 4:37 PM in response to shipsumesh

It sounds like your computer's drive is bad. The Disk Utility error actually says so.

If you want to check & confirm the health of the laptop's drive, then create a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive using Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux). You don't need to know anything about Linux to do this. Option Boot the USB drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". While Knoppix is booting the laptop may appear to be frozen on the Apple boot picker menu ("normal") so give Knoppix lots of time to finish booting.

Once Knoppix reaches the desktop click on the "Start" menu in the lower left corner of the Taskbar and navigate the menus to "System Tools ---> GSmartControl". Within the GSmartControl app double-click on the laptop's drive to access the drive's health information report. Post the complete report here so I can examine it. GSmartControl also has the ability to initiate the drive's built-in selftests as well if you want to run them.

May 15, 2020 8:57 AM in response to shipsumesh

No problem. You need to download both the Etcher app and the Knoppix .iso image. There may be several Knoppix files to choose from so make sure to choose the Knoppix download which includes "EN" in the name for the English language version. IIRC the most recent version is 8.6.1. Select a download mirror and grab one of the DVD .iso files from an "http" mirror. Then launch Etcher and select the downloaded Knoppix .iso file as the source for Etcher. Then select the USB drive you want to use for creating the Knoppix boot disk. The Etcher app will then "burn" the .iso image file to the USB drive.

Trying to reinstall OS but Can't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.