Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet issues with mac OS 10.15.1

I recently upgraded my Mac to OS 10.15.1 and now I cannot get on the internet.

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 5:10 AM

Hello, I have the same problem of not being able to connect to the internet after the update to 10.15.1. I have been using Intego's Virus Barrier & Net barrier for some time and Luis's comment may have some merit.

I turned off Net Barrier and can now connect to the internet. I turned it back on and can't connect to the internet. I contacted Intego and they are aware and working on a fix. So if you have Net Barrier just turn it off. Virus Barrier is still on. Hope this is of some help.

79 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2019 5:10 AM in response to David Trudgian

Hello, I have the same problem of not being able to connect to the internet after the update to 10.15.1. I have been using Intego's Virus Barrier & Net barrier for some time and Luis's comment may have some merit.

I turned off Net Barrier and can now connect to the internet. I turned it back on and can't connect to the internet. I contacted Intego and they are aware and working on a fix. So if you have Net Barrier just turn it off. Virus Barrier is still on. Hope this is of some help.

Nov 12, 2019 11:06 PM in response to philipfromnorthridge

Hi @philipfromnorthridge

Best thing to do is scroll through all the answers here first - there are some really helpful guides. Certainly helped me with exactly the same problem.

Here's what I gleaned / did:-

• Checked if could connect via any browser (default browser is Safari, I also use Chrome & Firefox - mostly couldn't connect via any browser, and on those occasions when I did the connection / page load was so slow as to be painful [couple of mins for each load])
  • Opened a WebPage Igonito in Chrome - still same issue
  • Tried manually disabling installed "Addons / Extensions" - still same issue
  • Rebooted Mac into Safe Mode (to see if any 3rd party App was interfering with connectivity) -
    • To load your Mac in Safe Mode, press and hold the Shift key while it boots. You can stop holding the Shift key when you see an Apple logo and progress bar. To leave Safe Mode, just reboot your Mac without holding the Shift key.
    • My Mac booted fine into Safe Mode and connectivity was perfect. This told me the problem was with a 3rd party App - in this case my Intego Security - but other people found a problem with other security software - it was the Firewall and fortunately Intego issued a fix within days of the macOS 10.15.1 release date.
  • Updated all 3rd Party Software and try connecting again in "Normal" mode. When issues persisted, tried disabling the 3rd party software one by one to identify the culprit. Eventually identified Intego NetBarrier to be the problem and after multiple reporting an urgent fix was issued a few days later.
  • Hope that helps!
  • I usually wait a week or two before Installing Updates unless they comprise a Security Fix, and Google for Identified Issues & their fixes - didn't this time but will know better next time! Had to roll back to 10.15 via Time machine pending Intego Fix which wasted half a day's work o.0

Oct 29, 2019 11:57 PM in response to philipfromnorthridge

Get internet if boot into safe mode. turn off computer, turn on while holding left shift button. Should see Safe mode in red in upper right corner. log on with you password open browser & should work. left apple chat with reinstalling 10.15.1 and wasted another 35 minutes getting nothing on internet either thru ethernet or wifi. I will pick up with them in the morning as it is too late to deal with it. Apple's faulty os releases makes me think they are trying to mirror microsoft. This didn't happen in the past & is what made apple. SMH

Oct 30, 2019 4:35 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

It doesn't work in safe mode on my computer. After a reboot it works briefly. Almost like a memory buffer, or cache is filling up and not clearing. Once full all incoming data stops. I tried safe boot, disconnecting all my perpetuals The results are all the same. I brief connection followed by a slowdown of incoming data. Then everything stops. Its a real pain, but I could boot off my external HD, and reinstall 10.15 a process I really don't want to have to start. I'll wait until Apple has something to say.

Oct 30, 2019 4:48 AM in response to philipfromnorthridge

The resolution to this issue has absolutely nothing to do with 3rd party software to blame. Its obvious we were all working 100% prior to the upgrade. The culprit here is captain obvious...the 10.15.1 upgrade. Don't waste your time removing apps etc.........this problem will kick up some serious dust as it affects one of the earths most important resources......the internet and access to it. Take internet away from any human and sh1ts gunna hit the fan. I bet Apple is already onto 10.15.2 in the next 24 hours.

Its a real pain in the a$$ though.

Oct 30, 2019 5:18 AM in response to philipfromnorthridge

There is a solution. I must eat my words though....I did mention in a previous post that its a faulty update....and not to uninstall any other 3rd party apps.

Well it appears to be a bug in the upgrade that does not gel with antivirus/security apps.

I uninstalled trend off all my machines with 10.15.1 and internet usage is 100% once again and the machines all shutdown correctly. Someone send this info to John Connor so he can get it out to the resistance. LOL

internet issues with mac OS 10.15.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.