Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign in with my Apple ID on Catalina Music app

When I open the Apple Music app on Mac OS Catalina It tells me to sign in and when i sign in it doesn't do anything. Literally anything.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 7:32 PM

This was sent too me from the Forum, option 2 worked for me.

Solution #1: crate another Admin-account. Don't sign in to iCloud at setup. After setup, sign in to the apps (Music, tv, Podcasts, Books) what should happen without an issue. Then connect to iCloud via system settings.

Solution #2: via Terminal commands that reset iCloud. After that sign in to the apps (Music, tv, Podcasts, Books) what should happen without an issue. Then connect to iCloud via system settings.

Terminal commands like I did with help from the Apple support team:

After the first command (sudo -v) you have to type your password - blind - then hit enter and proceed.

Similar questions

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2019 7:32 PM in response to pickypickypickyme

This was sent too me from the Forum, option 2 worked for me.

Solution #1: crate another Admin-account. Don't sign in to iCloud at setup. After setup, sign in to the apps (Music, tv, Podcasts, Books) what should happen without an issue. Then connect to iCloud via system settings.

Solution #2: via Terminal commands that reset iCloud. After that sign in to the apps (Music, tv, Podcasts, Books) what should happen without an issue. Then connect to iCloud via system settings.

Terminal commands like I did with help from the Apple support team:

After the first command (sudo -v) you have to type your password - blind - then hit enter and proceed.

Nov 1, 2019 8:54 AM in response to matéo65

I have this problem too; but only on my 2019 iMac, and all after updating to Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1.

I have a subscription with Apple Music, but I cannot sign in on my 2019 iMac.

When I do, nothing happens and I am left with the 'Discover new music every day' advert page. If I go to the Browse page it states ' an error occurred' and same on Radio page. If I go to the iTunes Store page, an 'unknown error - 11556' pane appears.

I have also noticed that a large number of my Library items are missing.

Strangely I have updated my MacBook Air to Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1 and it is OK, with Apple Music operating fine, all my music there and no sign-in problems at all. Same with my iPhone, all working and everything is there.

Spent a few hours on land-line, yesterday, with several Apple Support Advisors. The last person I spoke with was Apple Music / iTunes Store, so would guess that is where the problem lies.

Nov 2, 2019 3:17 PM in response to matéo65

Same here, I have never had Apple ID issues and will definitely not go thru the process of deleting or changing my ID or profile because of a software bug. Catalina Music app, advertised to be built up from the ground, sadly remained flat on the ground even after the latest 10.15.1 update.... actually it went underground now that I have no artwork nor iTunes Store and iTunes Login capability and am stuck with a disappearing and crippled Search Filter and no memorized view setting and navigation. I'll wait before I update my main system and might stay with Mojave if the Music and Podcast apps remain a simple Play Button for streaming media. Please provide your opinion at www.apple.com/feedback which is read by Apple, Apple doesn't utilize Apple Discussions forum.

Nov 13, 2019 3:02 PM in response to matéo65

That's how I solved the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleMusic/comments/dpzk86/cant_sign_in_with_my_apple_id_into_music_app/f67ng61/

It seems that a workaround is to either:

• Perform a new clean install and then skip the initial AppleID login process and login to the services manually later (I logged into Music first and then iCloud, but the employee told me this should not make a difference), or;

• Create a new user account, skip the initial AppleID login process and login to the services manually later, then delete the first account. Make sure that the new account is an Administrator. Note: if you want to use the same credentials in the new user account, you must create a third account with different credentials from which you can delete the first (original account) before you can create a new one with the same name etc. It seems a bit confusing, but I hope it makes sense.

Nov 2, 2019 4:08 AM in response to jhuneclarino

Ah well - I went through support and reinstalled Catalina.... didn't fix it.

What did, was deleting my user profile and creating a new one. The problem with this is that it deleted my home folder and so now I am downloading all my music, email and photos again. Fortunately I use iTunes Match and Cloud photos, with iCloud mailbox storage (and have a fast broadband connection) or I would have been done for.

Very disappointing from Apple here - it should not take hours of messing around to sort out problems caused by a new operating system - it didn't used to be like this with OSX. The appeal of Apple is that it just works - that is not the case with Catalina.

Nov 2, 2019 10:52 AM in response to darango

I tried logging out of iCloud completely on my MacBook and then logging into Apple Music individually. The interesting thing is that, when I'm not logged into my iCloud account anywhere else, Apple Music will connect to the iTunes Store and show options. However, it still will not log me into the server. But, when I logged back into my iCloud accounts, Apple Music won't even connect to the iTunes Store to show options.

I am logged into Apple Books no problem. I even made sure my MacBook Pro is authorized via the Books app. I just can't connect with Music, Podcasts, or TV...

WTF, Apple? This kind of sloppiness is not supposed to be associated with your products... PLEASE FIX ASAP!

Nov 2, 2019 1:32 PM in response to Slawko1967

I ended up creating a new account on my MacBook to fix this problem. I realized that since I could log in to the media apps from the guest account, there must have been something wrong with my normal account. When I first set up Catalina, I had some iCloud account issues associated with Keychain. Resolving that may have borked something up in the local account profile.

Can't sign in with my Apple ID on Catalina Music app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.