Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you access photos once you backup your iphoto library to an external harddrive. Want to be able to access specific photos versus having to open the entire library in iphoto every time

How do you access photos once you backup your iphoto library to an external hard drive. Want to be able to access specific photos versus having to open the entire 30,000+ image library in iphoto every time. Also, how do I backup new images as I add to my library so I don't duplicate the ones I've already backed up?

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 9:30 AM

You cannot access individual images in a library without opening the Library.

Back ups: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync - but there are many others. Search on the App Store

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2019 9:30 AM in response to Meghanoc

You cannot access individual images in a library without opening the Library.

Back ups: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync - but there are many others. Search on the App Store

How do you access photos once you backup your iphoto library to an external harddrive. Want to be able to access specific photos versus having to open the entire library in iphoto every time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.