Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad2 model MC755LL/A won't retrieve update 9.3.6

My iPad2 (WiFi & Cellular) recognizes the need to update to 9.3.6, but overnight did not do the update - seems stuck at "download & install".

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 5:04 AM

8 replies

Nov 1, 2019 3:54 PM in response to Bismarck2387

We were discussing things that should be able to update over-the-air, claim there is an update available, but for some reason do not load the update and just sit there spinning. In the end it will not load it over wi-fi, one must resort to using iTunes.

In most cases if a device saying it is up-to-date then nothing will get it to load a newer iOS. 9.3.6 is a special situation in that it is an update for a very small set of hardware that Apple long ago stopped supporting.

You may wish to read:

"Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch" --> https://support.apple.com/HT204204

and:

Update your iPhone or iPad software to avoid issues with location, date, and time - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210239

Nov 1, 2019 7:19 AM in response to Megamom368

I had that problem with an iPhone 4S (I tried 3 times) and I had to not only connect it to iTunes, it has to be to iTunes 12.8 or newer on a computer capable of supporting iTunes 12.8. So no attaching it to my wife's 2013 MacBook Pro with iTunes 12.2 even though that definitely supported iPhone updates in the past. Presumably a computer with Catalina could do it too. If not, take it to an Apple Store.

Nov 1, 2019 2:30 PM in response to Limnos

Your time wasn’t wasted and your response very much appreciated by me. I’m not much of an Apple user - have 2 iPads, one of which is the old iPad2 that needed updating. My kids bought both of them for me. But I cut my teeth in the old DOS days on PC’s going back to pre-MAC time, and am the most comfortable in that arena. You helped this old lady very much and your response gave me a great rest of the day. I thank you again!

Nov 1, 2019 2:39 PM in response to Megamom368

Whoa, back up for a moment.... older devices that cannot update through “Software Update” in settings can be updated with iTunes? What limitations are there?

I have:

iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2

Software Update reports “Your software is up to date”

iPad Mini 1st Gen running iOS 9.3.5

iPad Air running iOS 12.4.3

Can any of these devices be updated, and if so, how far? Surely I could not run iOS 13 on my iPhone 4.... right?

ipad2 model MC755LL/A won't retrieve update 9.3.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.