Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrade to Catalina suddenly English keyboard at login

Hello,

this morning I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina. Upgrade went fine. However, after upgrade, at login, my password was rejected. After some eperimenting, I found out that at login, <SHIFT><3> gives a '£' instead of the '#'. However, after login, <SHIFT><3> gives the '#' (as it should, I have a US, QWERTY keyboard on my Macbook Pro).

I checked the following settings and found no error:

Apple > System Preferences > Language & Region > Preferred Languages: English (only installed one).

Apple > System Preferences > Language & Region > Preferred Languages > Keyboard Preferences ... > Input Sources: U.S.

If I press the <SHIFT> when 'Input Sources' is shown, the keyboard shows a '#' (as expected).

Why do I get a '£' sign then in the password prompt at the login screen?

And, how do I correct this.

Everything went fine in Mojave, before the upgrade to Catalina.

Best regards,

emeu1

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 6:09 AM

I don't know why it would have been carried over like that. But you can switch you keyboard in the login page if you check the box to show the input menu at login in Users and Groups Preferences > Login Options.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202036

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 2, 2019 1:00 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hello Tom,

Thanks for you reply. I was aware of the fact that the keyboard suddenly has changed to British and which key combination to press to get the # sign.

My problem is that it only has a British layout when entering the password at login.

Thereafter, it’s US layout and I have no British keyboard installed.

And why did this problem occur after the upgrade to Catalina?

The problem wasn’t there on Mojave.

My previous Macbook, which I traded in for my current one about 6 months ago, did have a British layout.

My current MacBook has a US layout.

When I switched over, I removed the British layout and installed the US layout.

Could there be some “leftover” file/setting?

Best regards,

Emeu1

Nov 2, 2019 10:51 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hello Tom,

I checked that box, however, nothing changes at the login window (no option to change keyboard layout).

I found out that the same option? can also be enabled in:

Apple > System Preferences > Language & Region > Keyboard Preferences > Input Sources > Show input menu in menu bar

After I enabled that option, the "Switch keyboard" option appeared in the menu bar during login (and indeed, it showed the British keyboard layout as the selected one).

I added US, removed British (at the login screen) and now I have the US keyboard layout active again during login.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

emu

After upgrade to Catalina suddenly English keyboard at login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.