Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Login in Music, TV, Podcast app

With a fresh install of Catalina on a MacBook Air 2018 I am unable to login too Music, TV, Podcast App. I don't even get a error message.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 4:42 AM

5 replies

Nov 2, 2019 5:22 AM in response to PvdHeuvel

I'm having the exact same issue on my 2012 iMac. I did a clean install from Recovery Mode and signed into my iCloud which worked perfectly. iMessage and FaceTime also work just fine. Only logging into Music, Podcasts and TV is not possible since the login screen just disappears after I enter my credentials and then nothing happens. When trying to view the 'For You' page, I get a message saying an error occurred an I should try again. Trying to connect to the iTunes Store sometimes gives me this error message:

Translation: Connection to the iTunes Store has failed. An unknown error occurred (11556). Check whether the network connection is active and try again.

The podcast app gives this error message:

Translation: Something went wrong during the authentication. (0)

Needless to say, the network connection is fine and I have no other synching issues with my Apple ID. I've tried logging into the services via multiple routes, but it just doesn't make it past the first login screen. Doing another clean install did not help either. Taking a look around lead me to another case on this forum, as well as two subreddits:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250811383

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dpwkb3/catalina_fail_again_cant_sign_in_to_apple_music/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleMusic/comments/dpzk86/cant_sign_in_with_my_apple_id_into_music_app/

As of now, no-one seems to have found a solution. I'm on the phone with Apple trying to figure out whether they know a way around this.

Nov 2, 2019 7:01 AM in response to laurens008

Update: After I spoke with an Apple support employee, we decided to set up a new user account and skip the Apple ID login when first logging into this account. Then, when the Mac is configured, we discovered that it is possible to then correctly login to Music, Podcasts and TV and subsequently to iCloud in general. Therefore, it seems that a workaround is to either:

• Perform a new clean install and then skip the initial AppleID login process and login to the services manually later (I logged into Music first and then iCloud, but the employee told me this should not make a difference), or;
  • Create a new user account, do the above and then delete the first account. Make sure that the new account is an Administrator. Note: if you want to use the same credentials in the new user account, you must create a third account with different credentials from which you can delete the first (original account) before you can create a new one with the same name etc. It seems a bit confusing, but I hope it makes sense.

I personally went for the second option because I didn't want to sit through the whole installation process again. It seems that everything is working fine: the Media Services are all working and iCloud is also fully functional. Hope this helps!

Can't Login in Music, TV, Podcast app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.